1993 F-150 302 oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 F-150 302 oil pan

I have a 93 F150 with a leaking oil pan. Anyone know if i can change it without jacking up the engine? i heard it wont fit past the crossmember

Old 03-28-2008, 12:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spend twenty bucks on a Haynes repair manual and read through the detailed instructions and you'll know just what has to be done.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:45 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think you do have to jack up the engine but its really not that big of a deal. Sure your not leaking from the real or front main? those can be confused..

Old 03-28-2008, 01:50 AM
Originally Posted by rblredneck34
I have a 93 F150 with a leaking oil pan. Anyone know if i can change it without jacking up the engine? i heard it wont fit past the crossmember
Yes, the engine must be lifted in order to remove the pan and it is a PITA without a lift IMO. Just make sure you unbolt the cooling fan shroud or remove the fan before you do, that is the most common mistake I see people make and then break one or both. The oil pump must also be removed while the pan is hanging there which makes for alot of fun. If there is alot of rust on the pan itself, replace it, they do leak through after a while. If it were me, I would leave that one to a qualified shop just to avoid the hassle all together. If you can't physically see the gasket pushed out, as jethat mentioned, check the rear seal if possible, that is also a common leak on those and is often mistaken for an oil pan gasket leaking. I would rather have to do two rear seals on those than one oil pan. Oh, and don't get cheap on the parts either, you'll thank yourself for that later. Good luck if you do decide to tackle it, it can be a good experience though if you have patience.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:26 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TECHDOC
Yes, the engine must be lifted in order to remove the pan and it is a PITA without a lift IMO. Just make sure you unbolt the cooling fan shroud or remove the fan before you do, that is the most common mistake I see people make and then break one or both. The oil pump must also be removed while the pan is hanging there which makes for alot of fun. If there is alot of rust on the pan itself, replace it, they do leak through after a while. If it were me, I would leave that one to a qualified shop just to avoid the hassle all together. If you can't physically see the gasket pushed out, as jethat mentioned, check the rear seal if possible, that is also a common leak on those and is often mistaken for an oil pan gasket leaking. I would rather have to do two rear seals on those than one oil pan. Oh, and don't get cheap on the parts either, you'll thank yourself for that later. Good luck if you do decide to tackle it, it can be a good experience though if you have patience.
Now that I think about it I do recall removing the oil pump so it would clear. You only have a few inches to work in to get it out. That is a drag..

Old 03-28-2008, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by jethat
Now that I think about it I do recall removing the oil pump so it would clear. You only have a few inches to work in to get it out. That is a drag..
Yeah, it is a pain, unbolt it and the pickup tube with 3 in. of space, drop it in pan and remove all together . Darn Fords . Gotta love 'em.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:50 PM
not as big of a PITA as changing out the auto trans on an early dodge intrepid- with the car on jack stands

Old 03-29-2008, 12:27 AM
Originally Posted by rmeidlinger
not as big of a PITA as changing out the auto trans on an early dodge intrepid- with the car on jack stands

OUCH, you win! Although, most anything "Dodge" is more of a hassle then it needs to be.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:55 PM
thanks guys i was planning on taking it to a shop anyway lol. btw it isnt the gasket thats leaking the actual pan is rusted and thats where the oil is comming from

Old 04-01-2008, 11:46 PM
thanks guys i was planning on taking it to a shop anyway lol. btw it isnt the gasket thats leaking the actual pan is rusted and thats where the oil is comming from
Yeah, common problem, I think rust was mentioned to you earlier. Those pans must have been made with foriegn steel. Good luck with it.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:59 PM

i had my pan changed on my old 92 f150 because of rust....it was about $600...i almost peed myself right then and there...(i never went back to him)....and mine was 2 wheel drive...thats should to be easer than 4x4

Old 04-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by 00F150power5.4
i had my pan changed on my old 92 f150 because of rust....it was about $600...i almost peed myself right then and there...(i never went back to him)....and mine was 2 wheel drive...thats should to be easer than 4x4
Nope, both are the same pain in the ***.

Quick Reply: 1993 F-150 302 oil pan