Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-22-2008, 10:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: deep in the redwoods
Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150
Posts: 263
coil pack swap

Is swapping out the two coil packs on my 97 4.6 as simple as it looks leaning over the fender? If so, I'm willing to gamble less than $100. to Global and see if it cures my light miss under hard acceleration. Ford just tuned it up because, for some reason, it loves to be tuned up at 30 to 60K intervals...even with Motorcraft platinum plugs but I digress. Opinions, ideas? O2 sensors are still oem... maybe front ones?
@ 95K miles on truck.
__________________
Jeff
1997 (10/96) Ford F150 XLT 4x4. Triton 4.6 Factory 6 disc CD/AM/FM/Cass/MP3player, tow package, 1715 Micro Tuner, remote start, Whistler radar detector, S/O right side t/p dumping muffler-less exh. Bed liner, rail caps,etc. JEGS EDIS Coil Packs, Spectre 9920 Cold Air Intake, Flex-a-lite #400-270 Dual Truck Fans, BBK 3-Piece under-drive aluminum pulley kit. Parnelli Scorpion ATR 255/75R16. 2011 HR McKenzie Ion 29BH
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-22-2008, 10:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Western NC
Vehicle: 1998 Ford F-150
Posts: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by justusinfla
Is swapping out the two coil packs on my 97 4.6 as simple as it looks leaning over the fender? If so, I'm willing to gamble less than $100. to Global and see if it cures my light miss under hard acceleration. Ford just tuned it up because, for some reason, it loves to be tuned up at 30 to 60K intervals...even with Motorcraft platinum plugs but I digress. Opinions, ideas? O2 sensors are still oem... maybe front ones?
@ 95K miles on truck.
Yea it is easy, four bolts hold each one, I put new Accel high performance coils on mine, they were comparable in price to oem, $110 is what i paid.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-22-2008, 11:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: deep in the redwoods
Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmac4.6
Yea it is easy, four bolts hold each one, I put new Accel high performance coils on mine, they were comparable in price to oem, $110 is what i paid.
Where did you get them? Summit?
And why did you change yours? Any noticable improvement?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-22-2008, 11:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Alex Bay, NY
Vehicle: 1997 F150 XLT
Posts: 977
I got accel CP's too, got them from Troyer.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-22-2008, 11:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Western NC
Vehicle: 1998 Ford F-150
Posts: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by justusinfla
Where did you get them? Summit?
And why did you change yours? Any noticable improvement?
Summit, I wanted to change them out, I noticed the improvement when i put the FRPP 9mm wires, also from summit. I eventually got a miss out of my stock wires, so I upgraded.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-22-2008, 11:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Michigan
Vehicle: 1997 F150 4.6
Posts: 198
if you really want to do it right you should do what i did and get that kit that jegs sells a kit for the 4.6 and it comes with 2 MSD blaster coil packs, 8 MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires, and 8 NGK spark plugs. The kits says its for a Mustang GT but i asked around and found out that it fits, and it does because i put it in my truck. The kit runs for $281 but it is well worth it. i had the same problem. i had a cylinder 4 and 5 missfire and it fixed it right up. its your call but i would highly suggest it. Its a top quality upgrade, and it comes with cool stickers too.

http://www.jegs.com/p/MSD/760412/10002/-1/10681
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-22-2008, 11:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: deep in the redwoods
Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr_WaxDr
if you really want to do it right you should do what i did and get that kit that jegs sells a kit for the 4.6 and it comes with 2 MSD blaster coil packs, 8 MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires, and 8 NGK spark plugs. The kits says its for a Mustang GT but i asked around and found out that it fits, and it does because i put it in my truck. The kit runs for $281 but it is well worth it. i had the same problem. i had a cylinder 4 and 5 missfire and it fixed it right up. its your call but i would highly suggest it. Its a top quality upgrade, and it comes with cool stickers too.

http://www.jegs.com/p/MSD/760412/10002/-1/10681
welllllll, Ford already got to me for the premium wires @ time of it's most recent tune. I was hopping it would cure the light miss, but it's still there. Hmmmm, cool stickers.....Yes! I got room on the shell
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-22-2008, 11:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: deep in the redwoods
Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmac4.6
Summit, I wanted to change them out, I noticed the improvement when i put the FRPP 9mm wires, also from summit. I eventually got a miss out of my stock wires, so I upgraded.
Thanks, I'll take a look
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-23-2008, 12:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: deep in the redwoods
Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmac4.6
Summit, I wanted to change them out, I noticed the improvement when i put the FRPP 9mm wires, also from summit. I eventually got a miss out of my stock wires, so I upgraded.

part # ACC-140018 ? two times? $119.90?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-23-2008, 12:22 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Western NC
Vehicle: 1998 Ford F-150
Posts: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by justusinfla
part # ACC-140018 ? two times? $119.90?
Yep, thats them.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-23-2008, 12:30 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: deep in the redwoods
Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150
Posts: 263
Thanks! They're in the cart. Now all I gotta do is figure out how to pay for a $425. pool pump, $325. tk insurance, $3.25 a gallon for 87 octane........ooohh well

Last edited by justusinfla; 02-23-2008 at 12:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-23-2008, 12:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Godfery. IL
Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150 4.6L
Posts: 122
Send a message via AIM to Novakman
Quote:
Originally Posted by justusinfla
Thanks! They're in the cart. Now all I gotta do is figure out how to pay for a $425. pool pump, $325. tk insurance, $3.25 a gallon for 87 octane........ooohh well
good luck with that...
__________________
1997 F-150 XLT 4.6l Supercab 2x4
Gibson cat back
K&N 77 series CAI
Edge Evolution programmer

172RWHP and 230RWTQ without Edge

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-23-2008, 12:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: deep in the redwoods
Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novakman
good luck with that...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-30-2011, 02:23 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCHKLe0Eezc

This may help some people. I'm doing this tomorrow evening. I'll reply to tell the results.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-30-2011, 03:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Fort Worth,Tx
Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150
Posts: 5,389
Send a message via AIM to Faster150
go with Accel coil packs and ford motorsports wires. thats your best bang for buck. stay away from MSD wires! they are junk.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:13 PM


 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:17 AM.





This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
 
Contact Us Advertising Privacy Statement Terms of Service Jobs Forum Text Archives
Emails & Contact Details