Accel COP's are Junk

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accel COP's are Junk

I bought a set of Accel COPs back in April and haven't put more then 15k miles on them. Yesterday the ole F150 starts a bucking and missing and throwing several codes as the service light comes on.
After owning this truck for a while now I knew what the problem was, but threw the reader on just to see which coil it was.
Code came up for #5 and #7 along with a couple other codes.
Popped the hood and pulled #5 COP and what do I find, a nice crack in the Accel COP. Pull #7 along with #1 and 2 because they are easy to get to.
What do I find? All cracked the same, some alittle more then others.
So I pull all the COPs and everyone of them are cracked in the same spot.
So I bought a new set at the auto store and replace them all.
I was begining to notice a small miss when idling after it was good and warmed up. Now she is back to running like it should and always has, smooth and quiet.
If anyone has Accel COPs I would check them in this area for cracks.

I high lighted the crack here and the other is before.

Sled...

Old 11-30-2007, 04:30 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
This is not news. This is why we push the $85 a set cops from Global on eBay. They are as good as any and a full set costs less than 2 from the dealer and 3 from a parts store.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had Accel coil packs on my old 99 4.6 and they were junk. One had two towers go out the next day, and the replacement I got for it was even messed up.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:39 PM
no problems out of my coil packs from Accell. certainly last longer than the might suddenly dies ive heard alot about.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:53 PM
I was looking at getting a set of those Accel coils from summitracing cause the price seemed alot more affordable than from the auto store like was already said. But if they aren't any good, you guys suggest the global ones on ebay? Can anyone else back this up?

Old 12-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by glc
This is not news. This is why we push the $85 a set cops from Global on eBay. They are as good as any and a full set costs less than 2 from the dealer and 3 from a parts store.
Never said it was something new. Just never say pics of the COPs that had gone back and thought I would put some up so people would know where to look for problems.

I saw people that were and weren't having troubles with them and I have always had good luck with Accel stuff in the past so I thought I would take a chance.
For those who have had good luck with these COPs, great, but I don't think I would waste my money on them again. Accel will warranty them, but only in the form of replacement. I told them thanks but no thanks. I will just eat the cost and learn from it.

Sled...

Old 12-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I used to think that Accel made quality stuff, I guess their quality has gone down.......

Old 12-01-2007, 03:23 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Call the vendor and tell them what has happened and ask what they will do about it so you get your 'lick' in on the problem.
ACCel is only a name.
The coils are made in China.
Look on the box and it will show 'made in PRC'. pEOPLE rEPUBLIC OF cHINA.
I lost 3 out of 8 within 500 miles so they replaced them but I made it clear the coils could be a marketing problem for them.
I have a full set still running well.
Good luck.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Another product from CHINA with an American name on it, screwing the American comsumer..................

Old 12-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
Call the vendor and tell them what has happened and ask what they will do about it so you get your 'lick' in on the problem.
ACCel is only a name.
The coils are made in China.
Look on the box and it will show 'made in PRC'. pEOPLE rEPUBLIC OF cHINA.
I lost 3 out of 8 within 500 miles so they replaced them but I made it clear the coils could be a marketing problem for them.
I have a full set still running well.
Good luck.
I called Summit Racing and they said they honor a 90 day warranty and to call Accel.
I called Accel and stated my disappointment in their product and they said send them back and the best they would do is replace them. No thanks.
I saw the PRC after I had already received them, to late then.
I have used Accel products for years with good results, but with more and more goods being produced in China its had to tell anymore.

If you looked at the coils you can tell the crack was caused from some form of stress within the coil. Maybe they updated the housing since mine were made or maybe I got an older set. Either way I needed the truck back up and running now and couldn't afford to wait for replacements.

Sled...

Old 12-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a set of Accel back in June or so, so far no problems and I get better fuel mileage.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:34 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
I fully understand your position.
We all have to complain, hopeing they will get the message because it is happening in other areas as well. Food, toys, parts etc.
Vendors here resort to doing this because their competition is doing it.
The new Summit ignition boxes that look a lot like MSD. Guess where they are made? Buy them, take a chance, have a failure and it's the same thing again.
Good luck to all of us.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I have a set from Global and am about to change mine out so I will advise on how they hold up.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
I fully understand your position.
We all have to complain, hopeing they will get the message because it is happening in other areas as well. Food, toys, parts etc.
Vendors here resort to doing this because their competition is doing it.
The new Summit ignition boxes that look a lot like MSD. Guess where they are made? Buy them, take a chance, have a failure and it's the same thing again.
Good luck to all of us.
I hope it changes, made in the USA was the icon back in the day. The way it should be, performance parts meant quality, durability from and for people who understand cars. Now, a chinese women getting paid barely nothing to make an ignition box destined for a 69 Nova? Seems weird. Added to this, because of material costs, items are more brittle and quality again suffers.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:01 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Get them to send you the new set - I'll purchase them from you . That way it's not a total loss

Quick Reply: Accel COP's are Junk