fuel superheater

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 12:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question fuel superheater

has anyone ever seen this or done one themselves? or even heard about this before?
Ive only read an article about it, but it seems to make sense.
"heat the fuel so when it is injected into the cylinder it atomizes quicker for a better air to fuel burn"
- just throwing this out there - now im gonna sit back and watch

Old 07-06-2007, 01:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive never heard of that. how you gonna heat it???.sounds like to much work.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:30 AM
from what i read, it is basically a small copper reverse radiator which is inline in the upper radiator hose, and your pressure side fuel line feeds into it then gets hot and exits to the fuel rails. I will try to find the link and post it.
a quote from the site. "The purpose of this unit is for the coolant to heat the aluminum tube (heat exchanger) to prepare the gasoline for better vaporization before it goes to the injectors. Thus the warmed up fuel will vaporize much easier and improve mileage--especially in winter. You will find better power as well. Do not do this with carbureted cars unless it has an electric fuel pump."

here is the site, alot of reading, some things seem a bit out-there, but i havent tried any of them or know anyone who has. http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/ultra5.htm

Last edited by juice9595; 07-06-2007 at 01:44 AM.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:27 AM
that looks interesting. kind of looks like a mickey mouse setup though.dont you want the gas cooler??. you want cold air coming in to mix with it with it right???

Old 07-06-2007, 07:38 AM
this all goes completely against the principles of wanting a cooler intake charge? kinda like buying a high dollar intercooler for your supercharger or something and then throwing it out the window. you dont want a hot intake charge, i would have to call that snake oil. just my opinion
Scott

Old 07-06-2007, 08:23 AM
Not necessarily... the CAI that so many of us have is to give more molecuels of O2 (cold = dense= more O2). More O2 is picked up by the PCM, which in turn adds more fuel to maintain that magic ratio for air to fuel. More fuel= more power

I beleive Troyer has mentioned several times that he gets max power from his engines when they are set to 205 degrees or somewhere close to there. I have noticed this too in winter that my power comes up noticably once the engine is really nice and hot. I believe it does have something to do with fuel vaporization. That is the reason for the winter additives which enhance vaporization of the fuel when its colder. Maybe we could get rid of the crummy winter gas if we just heated the fuel - either the way they show on the website, or electrically (probably faster and more efficient). the new F450 Super Duty trucks advertise an electric cabin heater that warms up immediately while the engine / traditional heater get warmed up. If they can make an electric heater to heat an entire cabin, surely they could make something (or one of us could) to heat the fuel rails or hoses.

Someone with knowledge about how fast fuel moves through the rails and the ability to pick up heat from the radiator hose or through an electric heater (like an electric water pipe heater in your basement ) could design something and we could try it?

The web site uses less than stellar grammar, which makes it read a little goofy, but I think some of what they say might work.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:58 PM
You want your fuel to be as cool as possible. Ive never heard of heating the fuel. The fuel gets very hot just running through the pump. Almost all type of race cars use fuel coolers...

Old 07-06-2007, 02:07 PM
True, but we're not talking about racers. Just a truck sitting in someone's driveway being cold. It may be an issue of degrees of extremes. The fuel needs to vaporize, hence the additives in winter to help it to do so. Warming the fuel would also help in vaporization. How much heat it picks up from the fuel pump (then loses on its way to the engine) who knows? Apparently it isn't warm enough from the pump to get by without the additives.

I think it is an interesting idea that bears some experimentation. Us sitting here speculating isn't going to prove anything one way or the other. It's a hypothesis which, like all hypotheses, should be tested for truth.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:47 PM
Fuel Foggers

Originally Posted by juice9595
from what i read, it is basically a small copper reverse radiator which is inline in the upper radiator hose, and your pressure side fuel line feeds into it then gets hot and exits to the fuel rails. I will try to find the link and post it.
a quote from the site. "The purpose of this unit is for the coolant to heat the aluminum tube (heat exchanger) to prepare the gasoline for better vaporization before it goes to the injectors. Thus the warmed up fuel will vaporize much easier and improve mileage--especially in winter. You will find better power as well. Do not do this with carbureted cars unless it has an electric fuel pump."

here is the site, alot of reading, some things seem a bit out-there, but i havent tried any of them or know anyone who has. http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/ultra5.htm
I wasn't too sure about this either but I have been following Louis Lapointe' for about a year now. He is a professor at Montreal College I believe. His site (www.lubedev.com) spends a lot of its time discussing acetone and its benefits as a fuel additive in both gas and diesel applications. You can google Mr. Lapointe and you will see he is legit. He is an old guy, 60's or maybe 70's. Seems to understand chemistry fairly well.
The idea behind a fuel fogging device is that yes, you atomize it. In combustion the idea is to break the chemical bonds of the fuel to combust it. This is done with compression. It is easier to compress a gas as opposed to a liquid. In general atomization yields better fuel efficiency.
As for cooling the fuel (Built54 chime in here please) I will have to research that. F1 racers use methanol so I can see keeping that cool as far as density goes, however Nascar is just high ocatane gas right? I guess if you kept the feul cool enough you could get more inthe tank becuase you were attempting to counteract the effect of evaporation? These guys go to great lengths to squeeze every mile out of every drop of gas (less pit stops).

Old 07-06-2007, 02:50 PM
hmm well acetone has been proven to decrease power and mpg... I cant see cooling or heating fuel giving you more power either way, ive just always heard cool fuel is better.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:00 PM
you say the colder intake temps make for more air which in turn adds more fuel. ok thats fine, but then u say heat the fuel, which in turn makes teh fuel less dense so as it thinks its pulling more its really not, cooler fuel=less dense so u get more, kinda like gettin fuel in the AM when its cool and dense so when it gets warm it expands. am i thinking along the right track here?
Scott

Old 07-06-2007, 07:17 PM
This is exactly the type of conversation I have been having with myself..... in my head when bored and thinking of something to tinker with. Thanks for all the input. This needs to be tried by someone on here and then let us all know if it is worth the time I know most of dont have any spare time, it gets used up right here. LOL

Old 07-06-2007, 11:57 PM
Sounds like alot of vapor lock to me. I work on jet aircraft and the jet engines do heat the fuel prior to metering. This is done because it is very cold at altitude and it helps prevent ice and the jet fuel from thickining. That is the only heating of fuel that I have actually seen.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:24 AM
that was my first thought too, but since it is under pressure it wont turn to a vapor "in theory" until it gets shot through the injectors. Oh, and it says not to install on carbed engines without electric fuel pumps
*ding*ding*ding*
we have a winner
"Vaporlock"

Old 07-07-2007, 12:57 AM
I live in south florida and just the thought of more heat just does not sound like something that is needed. I feel the fuel is already hot enough down here. I have the ability and equipment to do some testing if I get time. I am presently testing my own modified air intake know.

Quick Reply: fuel superheater