Engine randomly shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine randomly shuts off

I have a 2001, 5.4L F150 and it's been shuting off on me while driving. It drives just fine but last weekend the truck keep dying. The engine will shut off and I can turn it back on and drive another mile then it shuts off again. After sitting for the day it will run just fine. I took it to my buddies shop and he ran every test possible and he couldn't find anything wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!

Old 07-03-2007, 03:30 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

Old 07-03-2007, 03:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Try swapping relays around too - Find the same one in the fuse box and swap it ..

Old 07-03-2007, 03:45 PM
I haven't changed the fuel filter but when I took it to the shop my friend said he checked the fuel pressure and it was ok. He said if the pressure was ok then the fuel filter and pump are working. Is this correct? I'm kind of mechanichaly declined.

Jbrew - can you please explain to me how or where the relays are to swap? I've never done that before.

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:09 PM

The relays are on the right in my truck - under the hood in the Power Distribution Box.

Yours are in a different location prolly , you have to look for them.

See the black box like deals on the right that all have the same part numbers.
Those are relays that act as a switch sort of. I would try swapping those around , but find the fuel pump relay. That little book that comes with the truck in the glove compartment has your fuse and relay layout.

If not - go to Motorcraft.com and download your manual..

Also , you could have a buggy computer/PCM - it happends.

Disconnect the battery for 15 minutes and reboot (reconnect the battery , positive FIRST)

Old 07-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Thank you very much. I'll give it a shot.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:28 PM
so jbrew, you just pull them out and push in? I tired on mine and it is really hard to get out.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:34 PM
If I'm swaping the relays because one is bad, would it make something else not work because I'd just be putting the bad relay into something else?
Thanks!

Old 07-03-2007, 05:44 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
One more question - have you gotten any check engine lights? If so, go over to Autozone and get the codes read out, it's a free service.

Yes, if you move a bad relay, something else will screw up. This would be a good clue. Keep track of which relays you put in which sockets.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:49 PM
No warning lights came on at all and all gauges looked good as it shut off. The oil light came on while it shut off but I was told that's because the engine wasn't pumping oil while shuting off so the light came on. Either way I changed my oil after the first time and it shut off. My buddy hooked the truck up to his code reader thing and it didn't have anything stored in the memory.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bmwlover540i
so jbrew, you just pull them out and push in? I tired on mine and it is really hard to get out.

Yeah , just wiggle them a bit - they come out..

Old 07-03-2007, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by f150tucson
If I'm swaping the relays because one is bad, would it make something else not work because I'd just be putting the bad relay into something else?
Thanks!

Yeah , that's the Idea - That tells you it was the relay

Be sure to reboot it - Like I said , they do sh^t like that if the comp gets a little buggy - Sometimes Zapping the PRAM (parameters) is all it needs. Clearing the KAM , resting trans tables, fuel trims, etc.. Theres a very good chance that it might work itself out..

Last edited by jbrew; 07-03-2007 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:11 PM
No warning lights came on at all and all gauges looked good as it shut off. The oil light came on while it shut off but I was told that's because the engine wasn't pumping oil while shuting off so the light came on. Either way I changed my oil after the first time and it shut off. My buddy hooked the truck up to his code reader thing and it didn't have anything stored in the memory.
tucson I know what you are taking about. My uncles 1996 Ford Bronco does this. We have replaced fuel pump,filter,oil n filter, sparkplugs and wires, rotor and cap, battery, cleaned MAF and Tb, and I even seafoamed it. Maybe I should try this. Only codes he is getting is o2s and bank 2 lean.
Is yours shutting off anytime? Like while sitting at a stoplight, driving away, and cruising?

Old 07-03-2007, 06:17 PM
Man I hope I don't have to buy that many parts trying to fix this.

Yes, it would shut off while sitting at a stop light or driving. It's only had two "episodes" of shutting off. Once last week and about two weeks before that. So it's not like it does it all the time. I ran it all week to work and back in the 110 degree Tucson heat and it runs fine. But when it would shut off on me. I'd wait a minute, start it back up then it would only drive about a mile before stoping again. Then it would drive fine the next day. Hopefully it's just a relay.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:22 PM

Man I hope I don't have to buy that many parts trying to fix this.

Yes, it would shut off while sitting at a stop light or driving. It's only had two "episodes" of shutting off. Once last week and about two weeks before that. So it's not like it does it all the time. I ran it all week to work and back in the 110 degree Tucson heat and it runs fine. But when it would shut off on me. I'd wait a minute, start it back up then it would only drive about a mile before stoping again. Then it would drive fine the next day. Hopefully it's just a relay.
It's prolly not even that - reboot , reboot, reboot

Read fast , yuh sound like a frog .. -

Quick Reply: Engine randomly shuts off