Air Bag light flashes and then stays on

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Bag light flashes and then stays on

Hey guys,

I was wondering if you could help me out with my flashing airbag light? The light flashes three times and then flashes two times. It will repeat this flashing sequence a few times and then it will stay on. I believe that the flashing is a code telling me what is wrong. Can anyone tell me what this code means? Thanks for all your replies

Old 03-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you going to tell us what year/model/trim level/... the truck is???

Old 03-26-2007, 02:43 PM
Sorry about that. It is a '99 F150 with a 4.6L engine.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
count the flash's...

for example
mine flashes 4x in a set of 2 and a long pause.

my code is 42. there is a list of codes in the electrical section somewhere.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:37 AM
The light flashes 3 times, then 2 times. There is a long pause before it repeats the sequence again.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:42 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Drivers air bag circuit is open.
Look for the fault but don't try to measure resistance on a live system or bag.
The meter uses an internal battery, that's a no-no.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:10 PM
Thanks for all your replies. I'll look for something that could cause a high resistance or open circuit.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by mfitz63
Thanks for all your replies. I'll look for something that could cause a high resistance or open circuit.
The clock spring is a common source of problems - located behind the air bag in the steering wheel. Be very careful.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:27 AM
The system is fail-safe & foolproof. You couldn't detonate the airbag if you tried, even using a powered meter or a stun gun. When you pull the airbag, it goes dead safe before you even get it fully disconnected, so just put it FACE UP under the truck while you're working on the column.

Click the tan CV in my signature & look in the Steering Column album. It shows the clock spring & plenty of other stuff.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:39 AM
Steve, I know they have shorting bars on the connectors.
Why take a chance if the bar comes off, the connector breaks or he doen't know the difference?
Your too trusting.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:42 PM
I can't count how many airbags I've worked on, but I can count how many I've caused, seen, or heard of going off accidentally: exactly none. Have you ever seen a shorting bar fall out? Have you ever tried to dig one out of the connector? I have. Have you ever intentionally set off an airbag?

Old 03-29-2007, 11:14 PM
Steve, i'm going right to the point.
YOUR ****Y and i'm calling you on it.
Did you think you were going to take a dig at me and not get a response?
Yes I saw a shorting bar fall out.
I own a car with a bag and it was in failure when I bought the car.
You just like to spar with people just to be right all the time.
By the way, tell us what is going on with the use of the little out of focus thumbnails you use to constantly get people to go to your website?
Looks like your pushing the limits a bit and the people who own this site are letting you get away with it for free while you get paid.
Sign me - not born yesterday, there young fellow..
I could care less how many you worked on.
My reply to the gentelmen was for his safety and you try to make something of it by trying to bang my efforts to be helpful.
I thought youi might have learned from the lat time e banged heads.
I'm don't back doen for anyone the likes of you.
So get used to it. You push- I push back!

Old 03-30-2007, 12:37 AM
I didn't realize I was "digging", "sparring", or "pushing" at you. I really haven't ever seen a shorting bar fall out, so that's a new one on me. (See; I can be wrong, just like anyone else.) And I really haven't seen an airbag go off accidentally, but you didn't mention having seen that, so I'm guessing you haven't, either. Is that something else I can be wrong about?

But if you look back at what I actually posted, I didn't say anything YOU posted was wrong. In fact, I didn't say anything AT ALL about your info. I just offered a differing opinion, which seems to be what you're having a problem with. Too bad, because I'm just not going to agree with you every time. If everyone always agreed, there'd be no point to the BBS. Nor am I going to post "Me too" every time I do agree with you (because that's just post-whoring), so you should expect to see a few more disagreements than agreements. It's just the way it works.

And if you know of a way I can get paid a PENNY for anyone looking at my photos, I'd love to hear it, because I've never gotten anything. I actually pay for that service (voluntarily for a few extra features). If you don't find them useful, don't click them. Same for anyone else - don't look at them. That's why I post linked thumbnails instead of fullsize images; so those who aren't interested don't have to download 8G of photos just to read a 2K text thread.

I don't remember what we "banged heads" about before - I try to leave the past in the past & not mix threads.

(BTW I don't know if you typed it that way or the BBS edited it, but I can't even guess what "YOUR ****Y" stands for. I guess I'm just dumb.)

Old 03-30-2007, 12:42 PM
steve, read my post #6, then read the very first line in your post# 9.
You really think you were not refering to my post?
Give me a break!
Ive been to your site to look at what your doing.
A lot of counters going, as well as charges for services etc.
You displayed service info is conviently 'trimmed' of any identifying information etc.
Guess i'm dumb too.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 03-30-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:13 PM
I see you saying it's not recommended to use a powered meter. I see me saying it won't blow up. No contradiction - just another opinion, or maybe you'd call it another point of view. If you had said "Using a powered meter on a live airbag will make it blow up" (which you didn't), I'd have said you were wrong, because I've done that (with a safe distance between me & it), and it doesn't blow up. So I still say: I never said you were wrong about anything. Was I referring to your post? Yes. Was I contradicting you? No.

I'm really curious what you think I'm "doing" on that site & what info is "conveniently trimmed", but I'll say one more time: I don't own SMN - Eric Long does, and he's an active member on FSB (as "erlong"), so you can contact him if you want. He's a nice guy, and I'm sure he'll answer any reasonable questions you might have about how much he has ever paid me in any way, shape, or form, for anything at all, including hits on my photos. If you want, link him to this post so he can see that I'm giving my permission (FWIW) for him to release that info about me.

BTW
If some info was trimmed, how would you know about it?

As to the charges for services - I don't know. I ignore the ads on most sites, including that one & this one, so the only charges I'm aware of are the ones I pay to make uploading a little easier for me.

I don't think you're dumb - I think you're a little oversensitive & suspicious, but if that's a sign of anything, it's a sign of intelligence. In this particular case, though, it's unfounded. I have nothing to hide, and I wasn't attacking, mocking, or patronizing you. I was offering a differing opinion, & I stand by it.

...and I STILL can't figure out the "****Y".

Last edited by Steve83; 03-30-2007 at 05:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Air Bag light flashes and then stays on