Oil Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 11:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Leak?

I am a newbee here so forgive if I ask anything stupid. I have a 99 150 with 100k on it, it sits for weeks at a time cause I drive my Dodge Cummins for work.

Latley I have noticed a knock when first started in the morning and a oil leak has started in the last couple of weeks. It looks like it is coming from the rear right valve cover and runs down the bell housing.

Is there a common place these trucks leak from?

I am running 5w30 motorcraft synth. Is that why I hear the knock?

Old 03-11-2007, 11:37 PM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
99% sure your headgaskets are leaking. Its about a $500 fix with the new head bolts, gasket, etc.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by Camarothatcould
99% sure your headgaskets are leaking. Its about a $500 fix with the new head bolts, gasket, etc.
Wow! I was'nt expecting that. Is that a commoon leak? Am I burning coolant with a blown head gasket?

Old 03-12-2007, 04:23 PM
it is super common on your year 5.4.

I also have a 99 5.4 and thought I had the dreaded pass side head leak and it turned out I didn't! However, my intake manifold WAS leaking and it WAS leaking down the pass side onto the bell housing.

the moral of the story is make sure someone who really knows these engines checks it for you.

also some people including me have run with the leak for years with out problem.

as for the noise at start up what kind of oil filter are you using?

Old 03-12-2007, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by hcmq
it is super common on your year 5.4.

I also have a 99 5.4 and thought I had the dreaded pass side head leak and it turned out I didn't! However, my intake manifold WAS leaking and it WAS leaking down the pass side onto the bell housing.

the moral of the story is make sure someone who really knows these engines checks it for you.

also some people including me have run with the leak for years with out problem.

as for the noise at start up what kind of oil filter are you using?
Motorcraft filter. I have a buddy who is a Ford tech at the local dealership. He gives me the family discount, $4.00 for an oil change is'nt bad! It has been a few months since my last change and I'll mention it to him next go round.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Well, you said it was leaking from around the rear right valve cover.... Before you go spend a lot of money on head gaskets, make SURE it isn't just a valve cover gasket!

Old 03-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by chester8420
Well, you said it was leaking from around the rear right valve cover.... Before you go spend a lot of money on head gaskets, make SURE it isn't just a valve cover gasket!
Honestly I have'nt checked close to make sure of where it is coming from. I just mentioned the valve cover due to the fact that it sits for weeks at a time and thought the gasket had shrunk a bit.

Either way it's a job I don't have time for, I always have to keep two trucks cause one is always in need of repair! And now I'm in my buisy season with work and won't have a break until thanksgiving.

That has been the only problem with the ford though (other than the poor mpg's) the P.O. has already replaced the right rear coil pack due too the leaking heater hose and left a card in the glovebox that showed a few codes he had pulled and repaired. So I hope to keep this one for quite some time.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:20 AM
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have had good service out of my Ford. It eats front rotors for breakfast, and you have to shut the engine off at the gas pump, or it will never fill up. But aside from that, it has been a good truck. And I USE it hard.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:15 PM
newleak

I also have a 1999 f-150 4x4 and have noticed new spots on the driveway.

I have 116,000 and the oil seems to be dropping from the oil lines in and out of the Filter which is near the driver headlamp.
also, Does using "Restore" oil addative shorten an oil filters life?

I also have sign of fresh oil underneath on the gromet (BlackPlug) on what I'm guessing in the bellhousing?

Bad sending unit?

Old 03-13-2007, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by chester8420
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have had good service out of my Ford. It eats front rotors for breakfast, and you have to shut the engine off at the gas pump, or it will never fill up. But aside from that, it has been a good truck. And I USE it hard.
Don't get me wrong, I do love my ford, but I want to own at least one truck in my life that does'nt leak something. I have'nt bought a new truck yet and don't know if I ever will so I guess it's just par for the course.

I've been a ford man all my life, my first truck was a 79 f100 I built from the ground up with a 351w and I still kick myself for selling it. But not a one of them did'nt have at least one little thing wrong with them, so I guess I should get used too it.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by SWITZERSLAND
I also have a 1999 f-150 4x4 and have noticed new spots on the driveway.

I have 116,000 and the oil seems to be dropping from the oil lines in and out of the Filter which is near the driver headlamp.
also, Does using "Restore" oil addative shorten an oil filters life?

I also have sign of fresh oil underneath on the gromet (BlackPlug) on what I'm guessing in the bellhousing?

Bad sending unit?
Don't use any additives. Fix your oil line leak. Pull the black gromet out and see if the oil is leaking from the inside. If the oil is red, it's trans fluid. If it's black, it's engine oil. If it's red, try re-sealing the torque converter drain plug. You'll have to get a buddy to bump the starter until it lines up with the hole.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak?