E85 Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow E85 Fuel

Hi,

I got an 07 SCAB FX2 FFV and I just filled up with a tank full of E85. Wow it was cheap compared to the unleaded regular fuel real cheap like $1.59 compared to $2.14 a gallon (DFW Texas). I got a little over 2000 miles on the truck and this is the first time I have ran into the fuel. Seems it is finally being made more available.

My question is has or does anyone else use it exclusively, and if so are there or were there any noticable problems. I know that if you use E85 more than 50% of the time you have to change your oil and filter every 3000 miles (as per the owners manual).

To early for me to tell yet, but I'll keep you all posted. It was a breath of fresh air for the old wallet though I am serious.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:02 PM
I've been running it too. I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't! We're going to plant some corn for the first time in my life this year, cause the price is good. Keep on using it please!

Old 02-22-2007, 10:34 PM
id like it if ethanol made more power per gallon. as it is.. ethanol is only 10 cents cheaper per gallon. but it 30%more ethanol to make same power as gasoline. and since ethanol isnt 30% less than regular old gasoline ill stick with my unleaded..

Old 02-22-2007, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by Faster150
id like it if ethanol made more power per gallon. as it is.. ethanol is only 10 cents cheaper per gallon. but it 30%more ethanol to make same power as gasoline. and since ethanol isnt 30% less than regular old gasoline ill stick with my unleaded..
So far, running E-42.5 I haven't seen any appreciable mileage losses. CERTIANLY not 30% less. And I save about a dollar for every 5 gallons or so of ethanol I run. Plus I grow it! I need an A/F monitor to go any higher though.. If anyone wants to sell theirs.....

Old 02-23-2007, 07:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you guys running E85 in trucks that are setup for alt fuel? Better check too make sure your truck is compatible.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:29 AM
Yes, I am "quite" sure my engine is a FFV, but thanks for the warning. If you do inadvertantly put E85 into your non FFV your asking for a whole lot of trouble.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by Sarge2155
Yes, I am "quite" sure my engine is a FFV, but thanks for the warning. If you do inadvertantly put E85 into your non FFV your asking for a whole lot of trouble.
Not if you "prepare" your truck first.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by chester8420
Not if you "prepare" your truck first.
I said inadvertantly, and if you "prepare" your vehicle for E85 it would not be a non-FFV. Beisdes it would be too cost prohibitive to convert or prepare a non FFV to a FFV, i.e., fuel tank linings, different fuel pump, fuel lines that are non conductive, different injectors just to name a few. Reasearch it on the net and you'll see. Best to just get a FFV from the jump than trying to convert one. JMHO though.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by Sarge2155
i.e., fuel tank linings, different fuel pump, fuel lines that are non conductive, different injectors just to name a few.
I don't think you have to do ANY of that. And since I can't call the fuel pump etc. manufacturers and ask, I'm just gonna have to prove it.

I'm not going above 42.5% until I can get an A/F monitor to VERIFY that I'm not running lean or rich. I have an idea that will fix it if I am. I may have to do something to the injectors/fuel pump to make it inject more fuel at WOT, but I won't know that until I get the A/F monitor.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:43 AM
You can expect a 5-15% drop in fuel economy with E-85. It's also cheaper than gasoline in some states because it is subsidized. That means you aren't saving a damn thing, the government is using tax money to pay the price difference...where do they get tax money???

Old 02-23-2007, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by PONY_DRIVER
You can expect a 5-15% drop in fuel economy with E-85. It's also cheaper than gasoline in some states because it is subsidized. That means you aren't saving a damn thing, the government is using tax money to pay the price difference...where do they get tax money???
I'd rather them subsidize the people in this country than the people in Iraq. Out of the 100's of billions of dollars, I wouldn't mind spending a little of it here! Do you know what it's doing to our local economy? We have an ethanol plant going in here in GA, and it's gonna provide lots of jobs. Not only jobs with the plant, shipping the corn/ethanol, shipping waste, mfg companies, repair business, management, money matters, lawyers, etc. etc. etc. Not to mention it is biodegradable, and it reduces emissions!

I'd love to see them go in all around the country. It'd be awesome to keep some money inside this country. That money will be taxed, and it will go around again. I'll pay MORE for it than gasoline, REGARDLESS of fuel mileage, because that means that my money is going into YOUR pocket, and not OSAMA's, or halliburton's. Those people have been fighting since before Jesus was born, and I don't want to keep giving them my money!

I'll continue to buy it, thank you. Regardless of the price. I don't care if they start making it out of sugar cane (something we can't grow) I'll still buy it. I'd much rather give you (my neighbor in Texas) $5 than give iraq $1. And that's the end of that discussion for me. It's not about money for me, it's about principle. If the subsidies end, and it's still available,(expensive or not) I'll buy it. It makes me mad that my truck wasn't designed to run off the crap, so I'm doing all I can, to make that happen.

Last edited by chester8420; 02-23-2007 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:12 PM
You are the man chester.

Quick Reply: E85 Fuel