Oil filter removal 5.3-V8-2006 F150

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil filter removal 5.3-V8-2006 F150

How much plastic crap do I have to take off to unscrew the oil filter.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:59 PM
i feel you man

just keep trying different filter wrenches, and after skinning your hand up thoroughly on the fan shroud when you try to squeeze one in there you'll eventually manage to find a filter than you can get on the filter enough to begin to turn the thing

it's ridiculous how overtightened the filters are from the factory, luckily you only have to do it once

Old 02-06-2007, 09:31 PM
just to clarify your title, Ford's are a 5.4L and the chevy is a 5.3

Old 02-06-2007, 09:43 PM
I know what you all mean, I installed these in the factory a few times and just shook my head as to how tight can they be. I had my first oil change done @ the dealer but had done my buddies 1st, wow! Are the newer 5.4's hard to get at as far as changing? I figured they'd be easily accessible.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:46 PM
First time I changed the filter on my 2000, I had cut knuckles, numerous 4letter words, and a bent filter wrench. Finally got pi$$ed and drove a screwdriver through it and loosened it up. What a mess...

I doubt they lube the rubber gasket on the filter with oil at the factory

They really gorilla torque those things on there. Must be a robot getting paid minimal salary to put them on...

Old 02-06-2007, 11:19 PM
Just reach through by the bottom of the fan shroud. Kinda tight but not too hard.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by 00Ford4X4
First time I changed the filter on my 2000, I had cut knuckles, numerous 4letter words, and a bent filter wrench. Finally got pi$$ed and drove a screwdriver through it and loosened it up. What a mess...

I doubt they lube the rubber gasket on the filter with oil at the factory

They really gorilla torque those things on there. Must be a robot getting paid minimal salary to put them on...
Well, not exactly, just a disgruntled autoworker with an electric torque gun. No lube at all from the factory, dry installs pretty much. Even those damn "sure grips" only work when your in a good mood. My stupid filter cup won't fit them, finally got fed up and threw it against the wall. I couldn't get that thing off for nothing. The cup ended up bieng bent to hell which pissed me off more, but go figure how hard I threw it. Oops, gotta go to my anger management class, my leader is starting to **** me off too.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by BLUE20004X4
Well, not exactly, just a disgruntled autoworker with an electric torque gun. No lube at all from the factory, dry installs pretty much. Even those damn "sure grips" only work when your in a good mood. My stupid filter cup won't fit them, finally got fed up and threw it against the wall. I couldn't get that thing off for nothing. The cup ended up bieng bent to hell which pissed me off more, but go figure how hard I threw it. Oops, gotta go to my anger management class, my leader is starting to **** me off too.
Yep, I feel your pain, my neighbors must have heard me from down the street with all my profanity...

I actually went from the top of the engine for access to the filter. I had to position myself over the left quarter panel and reach down. I had no room whatsoever in trying to remove the filter from the bottom.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:37 AM
I just finished adjusting the 16 valves on my Kawasaki,pulled all four carbs to get some crap out,did a oil change Mobile 1,balanced the carbs. And I bet the bloody filter on this 24 valve will be a bigger PIA.One concern is where all the oil runs to when the "dry fit filter is off"???? Thanks for the feedback.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:54 AM
Originally Posted by kawken
One concern is where all the oil runs to when the "dry fit filter is off"???? Thanks for the feedback.
Ford has placed a plastic shield over the steering rack to route the oil into your eye!

All kidding aside, the first filter was easy for me since I was prepared from reading this forum. I found a filter cup that fit the factory filter, and I already had a ratchet, extensions, and a u-joint. My S-10 was/is much tougher with every oil change. The damned thing is harder to see then to feel, but I eventually found the best way to do it, and all is well.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:13 AM
I agree the filter placement sucks, once i get them out it takes me at least 2 attempts to get it back in. On the other hand, I love that little funnel thing on the frame rail, it routes all the oil right into the drain pan at your hip, while your double-jointed wrist, elbow, and shoulder unscrew the friggin filter.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:52 AM
I have a K&N to go back on ( it has a 1" nut on the end).OK will get out a extension and universal joint.My ramps are back home so I hope there is enough room to crawl under using cardboard. My 65 Chev which I drove until I purchased my 81 Chev had great filter placements.I drove the 81 for 20 years.Then a Crown Vic which was a great car now the F 150.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FordTruckX2
Yep, I feel your pain, my neighbors must have heard me from down the street with all my profanity...

I actually went from the top of the engine for access to the filter. I had to position myself over the left quarter panel and reach down. I had no room whatsoever in trying to remove the filter from the bottom.
I don't understand why it's so difficult? Every 16-year-old in every oil change shop in the country manages to get it from underneath at least a couple times a day. It's really not that difficult... a flex-handled strap wrench is the only tool I've ever used on mine.

-Joe

Old 02-07-2007, 09:35 PM
OK GI JOE Don't get bent out of shape. I doubt if the oil change will be a big deal, it is just the placement location of the filter.I am not going to lose any sleep over it.Some of the large boats I ran with twin diesels were a real pain in changing the fuel and oil filters. Still have about a 1000 miles before I purchase the Mobile 1 05/30.
Some of the F-150 owners have mentioned that their trucks are buring oil.The level in my engine has not changed...

Old 02-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Its the combination of the factory filter being locked on and the fact that its not the most convenient place to really wrench on the thing. What I've found works best on brand new F-150s is this:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=11539&group_ID=1534 &store=snapon-store&dir=catalog
3/8" ratchet
u-joint
two extensions
pipe to put over ratchet

Yeah, I'm serious, I've had to use a "breaker bar" to get the damn factory filter off. I also had an old filter wrench from one of the auto parts stores that I snapped on a brand new F-150.

I've done about 10 so far, some aren't too bad, some are a huge pain in the ****.

Quick Reply: Oil filter removal 5.3-V8-2006 F150