Losing Antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Losing Antifreeze

I have a 2000 F 150 with 5.4L For some time now I have been loosing/leaking/burning antifreeze. I can smell it sometimes and other times I see a little on the ground. Then, sometimes nothing at all and everything clears up.

I am thinking I might have a blow head gasket but I am here to see if anyone else has ever had this problem.

Also, how much would does it typically cost to replace a head gasket?

Thanks.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by Intensity_911
I have a 2000 F 150 with 5.4L For some time now I have been loosing/leaking/burning antifreeze. I can smell it sometimes and other times I see a little on the ground. Then, sometimes nothing at all and everything clears up.

I am thinking I might have a blow head gasket but I am here to see if anyone else has ever had this problem.

Thanks.
Check the radiator. I'm on my 2nd. They are prone to leak on these trucks. So are the coolant hoses.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:22 AM

Thanks.
I think the good news is that you probably don't have a blown head gasket if you are finding antifreeze on the ground. I would look for any signs of leakage around the weep hole on your water pump, including corrosion/track marks, even if the surface is dry. If you smell it coming from your heater vents, you may have a heater core starting to go bad. Either problem would be much less costly than a head gasket repair.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:48 AM
Thanks so much for the info. I have choosen just to take it in. It's 7 degrees here in Chicago and I do not have a garage. Bites my *** but I have to take it in for this one.

Thanks guys.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Thanks so much for the info. I have choosen just to take it in. It's 7 degrees here in Chicago and I do not have a garage. Bites my *** but I have to take it in for this one.

Thanks guys.
Brrr. - I completely understand. I would like to have a dollar for every time the weather dictated what action I took on a vehicle.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Since you have a 2000 model , I would suspect it to be one of two things - The heater core feed and return lines back by #4 or the hard line that sits in the cavity below the intake and plenum.

The sign you'll see that there leaking is when you get a puddle on the ground directly below the rear of the motor.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:28 PM
Maybe you can get the problem diagnosed and if it isnt too serious fix it when the weather gets a little warmer.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:26 AM
Check back of the passenger side of the block, right below the cylinder head. If its wet, you have a blown head gasket, but can wait untill spring. Had this prob. with my 99 5.4L. Also, some trucks equipped with a cold weather package have a PCV heater. This is a small vacuum bung on the throttle elbow in which water flows around the outside of the bung. Noticable by the water lines running up to the passenger side of the throttle body. Both have failed on my truck, it is worth checking....

Quick Reply: Losing Antifreeze