timing adjuster

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 11:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timing adjuster

anybody used a timing adjuster on a 5.4L??? i helped my brother install one on a 02 mustang gt 4.6L. i didnt really notice much of a difference, but he swears he did. but then again it is his car and he drives it daily and knows what it is capable of. i found a few different manufacturers and most claim up to 10HP gain. if anybody knows the truth about these or has one up for sale please reply

mike

Old 01-27-2007, 01:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... Get a chip or a programmer. Does same thing.

Old 01-27-2007, 03:48 PM
with a chip or programmer i believe you can only advance or retard your timing a total of 1-2 degrees??? with this unit you can advance or retard up to 10 degrees either way. plus it is a fraction of the cost.

Old 01-27-2007, 04:40 PM
??? I think you're mistaken. Once you have the programmer in hand, you may only be able to adjust the timing a finite amount, but any custom tune could be set to whatever timing (within the limits of your hardware of course) the tuner desires. Not letting "Joe F-150 owner who bought a programmer" have infinite adjustment over his timing is not a limitation, it is protection for the buyer and his engine in the event he does not know what he is doing and just starts pressing buttons. Many people believe that if the option is on the menu, it must be safe, right? Why not add +20 degrees of timing, it says I can? Get my point...

That's my opinion anyway,

Mike

Old 01-27-2007, 04:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
much easier to do it with a tuner. You can only add or retard as much that is needed, you cant just add a lot of timing and expect it to run right...

Old 01-27-2007, 05:43 PM
ok, all opinions being considered. even with the infinite limitation that a tuner may give...why would anybody even think they need the "infinite" amount. im not building a hot rod truck, i already have one of those. im just looking for a couple extra "umphs" for this power lame truck. keep this in mind. im just looking for about a 10HP increase. as far as im concerned, the route i am thinking is a better bang for the buck.

Old 01-27-2007, 06:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... My X-CAL2 is totally unlocked. I can change whatever I want. But MIKE T knows I'm smart enough not to crank timing up or down.

Old 01-28-2007, 05:11 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
56chevy00f150,

Are you asking about an adjustable cam timing gears?

JMC

Old 01-28-2007, 08:15 PM
no i think he was talking about the steeda timing adjuster

Old 01-30-2007, 02:43 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If you want only a linear increase in timing then the Steeda wheel is a cheap alternative to getting a chip. For example; It will allow you to dial in retard for Nitrous at the track and then turn it back to stock on the street. The only problem with that is that the engine will not perform as well when not squirting with the timing retarded. It will also affect fuel injector timing. So if you retard it the injectors will not necessarily perform as well either.

JMC

Old 01-30-2007, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by JMC
If you want only a linear increase in timing then the Steeda wheel is a cheap alternative to getting a chip. For example; It will allow you to dial in retard for Nitrous at the track and then turn it back to stock on the street. The only problem with that is that the engine will not perform as well when not squirting with the timing retarded. It will also affect fuel injector timing. So if you retard it the injectors will not necessarily perform as well either.

JMC
i only plan to advance the timing. theoretically speaking, this will increase my fuel injector timing...i was told to run premium gas only by other people that use this.i will have the install done by this weekend, so i will be back on and i will let everyone know what i think. since the truck has not been dynoed and will not be dynoed, it will just be my personal opinion. i am not really expecting a huge increase. we will just have to wait and see

Old 02-04-2007, 11:23 PM
What about the cam timing adjuster? This is something that the tuners cant do right?

Old 02-05-2007, 01:27 AM
Originally Posted by 56chevy00f150
i only plan to advance the timing. theoretically speaking, this will increase my fuel injector timing...i was told to run premium gas only by other people that use this.i will have the install done by this weekend, so i will be back on and i will let everyone know what i think. since the truck has not been dynoed and will not be dynoed, it will just be my personal opinion. i am not really expecting a huge increase. we will just have to wait and see
If you bump up the timing, bump up the octane of your fuel. I'm running +1.0 degree of timing on my truck, running 93 octane fuel and a level 3 Edge setting. The level 3 of Edge is designed to run on 91 octane, so it's safe to bump it up. In the summertime, I bump it up to 1.5 degrees.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:44 AM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
If you bump up the timing, bump up the octane of your fuel. I'm running +1.0 degree of timing on my truck, running 93 octane fuel and a level 3 Edge setting. The level 3 of Edge is designed to run on 91 octane, so it's safe to bump it up. In the summertime, I bump it up to 1.5 degrees.
i still havent installed it yet. i got to looking today, and with the 4x4 and all the other stuff in the way, it doesnt look like its going to be as quick of an install as it was on the mustang we did. we advanced my brothers mustang 4degrees. have you tried any other combinations?

Quick Reply: timing adjuster