COP's off of Ebay?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
COP's off of Ebay?

My truck began to misfire after washing my engine.

The SES light is on and the code is #1 misfire. I removed the COP, cleaned it and applied dielectric grease, but the code is still there. So, I'm sure I need to replace that COP. However, AZ wants $46 for one COP and I can order a whole set off of Ebay for around $100. Has anyone else bought these and had good luck?

Old 01-10-2007, 09:18 PM
You will want to make sure that those are Motorcraft COP's, it will be a good idea to replace all of them too

Old 01-10-2007, 09:27 PM
Yes, I think it would be a good idea to replace all of them too.

I don't think these are Motorcraft. Can you get a set of Motorcrafts for $100?

Old 01-10-2007, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by cavu
Yes, I think it would be a good idea to replace all of them too.

I don't think these are Motorcraft. Can you get a set of Motorcrafts for $100?
I bought a set of the COPS from Ebay that were around $100. I have not installed them yet, but for $100, you cannot beat it. They have a clear top and I have heard many people say they work just as good.

You might be able to get a used set of motorcraft for $100. My local Ford dealer wanted over $70 for one COP, ridiculous.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:57 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Yeah , you can get them on ebay for $100 and they do work , I know of two people have been running them right now for almost a year. I used them for a little while and swapped them out for Motorcrafts off a crate motor I found on eBay (they were originals from a crown Vic motor so I replaced them since my motor was apart at the time) Clean the TB and elbow every winter..

Theres a kit you can get , but I heard Kevin is out of stock last week. He might have them now. My comp crashed I don't have the links , but I posted them here.

Look up "COP's deal" within this engines forum..

Old 01-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Well I'm glad to hear that some have had good luck with them. I agree it is hard to beat for $100. I think I'm going to take the gamble. I wonder if the Motorcrafts are really that much better.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:14 PM

I couldn't tell the difference. I just like keeping things original if I can, But I wasn't going to pay that dealership price.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:34 PM
It may be just the boot on your COP (about $6) or it may be the plug. Sometimes a spark jumps from the terminal on the plug to the base of the plug when moisture is present. This leaves a carbon track along the plug insullator and the inside of the boot. It is possible that when you cleaned the boot you left a carbon track on the plug insullator. You cranked the truck and got more arcing along the carbon track on the plug, once again depositing a carbon track on the boot. I recommend removing the plug and looking for narrow black carbon tracks along the insulator from the terminal to the base. I would definitely check the plug before I put a new COP on it and risk damaging the boot on the new COP. If you do find carbon tracks on the plug, clean the tracks off the plug and, you may want to consider replacing the boot. I personally don't trust them after they have been carbonized. Be sure to properly torque the plug when installing it (see threads about "blown plugs").

GOOD LUCK

Old 01-10-2007, 10:43 PM

Just pay special attention to greasing the inside of the boot - don't worry if you get a little on the spring. Spark will jump like crazy inside the boot if you don't and leave carbon trails - leads to misfire eventually..I never torque mine with a torque wrench - just give it a little. But if you must it's 12-14 lbs 97-03 heads.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:22 PM
I've been having a problem with my '03 SuperCrew since I purchased it. I purchased it from Baker Jeep Chrysler Dodge in Princeton, New Jersey. Within 20 miles of driving it off the lot, I had a misfire. They said they'd fix it. I brought it in and told them that's #3 is misfiring (scared me to death). They said fine. I go to pick it up, they only replaced #3. I had to bring it back again within 200miles. #4 misfired. Their fix was to only replace a plug if it's misfiring. I couldnt' believe my ears. I've always had to get EVERY PLUG done when it's on my dime. Now that it's on their dime, 1 plug only.

Well, I finally decided to do it all myself. I take all 8 plugs out to replace them with new ones. Guess what. . .THE DEALER NEVER REPLACED ANY OF THE PLUGS. What's really crazy is that they gave me 2 used coils and two used spark plugs suggesting that's what they took out. Where'd they get the junk to pawn off as originals? I called up there to raise hell and the guy says he doesn't remember me. I know he remembers me. . .he called the police on me when I cleared everything off of his desk with one sweep!

Nevertheless, I purchased the $100 coils from cbsautomotive in Miami Florida off of eBay. I'm a little disappionted that when I asked teh guy if I paid for express shipping if he'd get it to me by Saturday. He said yes. This was last Wednesday. I didn't get them until this Wednesday.

Anyway. . .to get guts of this rant. This is my first time replacing anything like this. I'm already stumped at how to get the wire connectors off of the coil. I didn't want to pull on it and break the wires out of it.

any guidance would be appreciate by this newbie.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:43 PM

Old 01-12-2007, 08:08 AM
There is a release on the botom of the plug, squeeze that down while you pull. You may have to remove the plugs from the injectors as well in order to get to the COP (Coil on Plug) bolts. There is a release on both sides of those but again just grab it and squeeze while you pull.

The link that jbrew left you is very helpful. Good luck!

Last edited by cavu; 01-12-2007 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:57 AM
Don't forget, you need to get that misfire code cleared. It won't just go away if you fix the problem.( I think 250 driving cycles, give or take a hundred).
You did't mention how the truck was preforming after the coil check/drying.Was it acting like it was still missing??
bullseye670................

Last edited by bullseye670; 01-12-2007 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:18 AM
cop!! Replace all of them????

If if isnt broken dont fix it!!! If you dont know which one to replace maybe you shouldnt be doing the job at all???

But what the hell waste your money, buy them all....

Old 01-12-2007, 10:18 AM

It's 75 miles bullseye

Quick Reply: COP's off of Ebay?