04-06 Plug Warning

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04-06 Plug Warning

This was posted by ff150fx4drvr in the 2004-Present section of this forum

Wish I knew about this sooner

Unfortunately I was unaware of this issue when I went in to have my plugs replaced at 90K miles on my 2004 fx4 at the dealer. The dealer broke all 8 plugs, and then informed me that they have not been able to change plugs on a single 2004 or 2005 in this mileage range without them breaking. Funny they didn't mention that before they broke mine off.

So the dealer says it is Ford's problem and they will not pay to replace the head. The dealers Ford rep said it was the dealer's problem, and they don't cover maintenance parts. Bottom line I was told I can pay $3700 to fix it, or pay $400 for work already done and have a tow truck pick up my vehicle. If I want the repair paid for I can "get a lawyer and meet them in court".

Obviously I have no good options. Fighting in court would cost more than the repair, and they know it. I can assure you that once this is repaired I will be selling this truck and not buying Ford again. I understand that this defect could happen to any brand, but the way Ford and the dealer has treated me is horrible. I went in for an oil change, got talked into changing the plugs, and then will end up paying almost $4000 I don't have for the trouble.

I'm not sure what Ford and their dealers plan to do about this in the future. They sold alot of F150s in 2004 and 2005 and in a few years most of those will be coming in for plug changes. Do they just plan to pretend this problem doesn't exist and screw every customer?
Down below is page 4 of the TSB that covers this defect. I suggest you get those 04-06 turds that are still under warranty into your dealer asap for a plug change and don't forget to take a copy of this TSB just in case they start snapping off your plugs because it says you are covered under the standard "New Vehicle" warranty.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:58 PM
---

Old 01-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Sorry bout your prob - we use an impact to get them out - A little wimpy cordless one - works every time..Buddies did ther trucks at the same time over here last fall. Both trucks were 04 - 05 supercrews.
They talked you into a plug change?? I would loose my cool over that one..How can they live with themselves..

Anti -seize,

Been doin it since 1998 in my truck - every vehicle I've worked on. That's even in the Haynes/Chilton's books , it's nothin new..I've noticed a few people on here said not to do it , that was bad info..

Always use anti seize - it's part of the procedure when doin the plugs..On older Ford heads it keeps the plugs from coming loose and seals them better when you get heat retraction(expanding and contrating).

Last edited by jbrew; 01-10-2007 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Absolutely unbelievable that a Ford Dealer would treat this customer with such disrespect… It seems that the people at some dealerships think we are just stupid consumers and that we are willing to roll over and act like a whipped dog.

I would take them to court to prove a point… At least to small claims court to keep from paying them any money!

Old 01-10-2007, 05:54 PM
my suggestioin, don't take your truck to a dealership to get repairs. find a good mechanic that won't try to screw you over. dealerships seem to try to make money anyway they can by replacing things that aren't necessary and making problems worse

Old 01-10-2007, 07:37 PM
I might try the lemon law, don't know what would come of it but it's worth a try???

Even file a complaint with the BBB, call local papers, radio and TV. Cause they just love the bad PR

Old 01-11-2007, 02:49 AM
Hello ff150fx4drvr,
I posted your story on 2 other Ford forums to let other 04-06 owners know what might happen to them during a simple plug change and most everyone was angry at Ford. Several people wanted an update on how and what was done to fix your truck. Could you post that? Also several wanted to know what city and what dealer broke your plugs so they could avoid them. Could you post that? I feel your pain man, I was hosed by the infamous 97-03 plug blowout after a dealer changed my plugs at 70,000mi.
Thanks,
Fasterhorses

Old 01-11-2007, 03:06 AM

I guess I should have read more closley - I wouldn't have replied - Go somewhere else!! It's none of your buisness.!!

Last edited by jbrew; 01-11-2007 at 03:25 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:37 AM
Originally Posted by jbrew
I guess I should have read more closley - I wouldn't have replied - Go somewhere else!! It's none of your buisness.!!
This forum is for information about problems with our Fords. This plug snapping defect is going to be an expensive mess for any poor shmuck that gets caught in it. If an 04-06 owner gets to a dealer early before the warranty is up and the plugs are changed there is a good chance that there will be no problem. If there is a problem that owner should know that he's covered by TSB 06-5-9. The idiot dealer that broke the plugs off should be avoided. You got a problem with that then - Go somewhere else!! It's none of your buisness.!!

Old 01-11-2007, 07:58 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[yawns] Old news. The TSB neither extends the duration of the new vehicle warranty, nor does it cover the cost of the repairs.

Furthermore, there is no TSB 06-5-9 for the '04 F-150 currently active in OASIS. It has been superseded by TSB 06-15-2 with specific spark plug removal instructions that are supposed to be followed to the letter. The instructions in that TSB go on to address the issues of breakage, and outline a specific removal procedure that does NOT require removal of the heads.

The dealerships should all have this information. If they are trying to up-sell a head job, they should be beaten with their own torque wrenches.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:07 AM

This guys(fasterhorses) posting someone elses material all over the internet , You could get in trouble for that. Not to mention, It's just not cool without there permission. Like Joe said - this subject is"old news" ... Besides , I posted the way to extract without breaking them off. Are you posting the fix , are you really helping ?? You just want to bash the manufacturer. The guys problem above is bad, dealership specific. Obviously the dealership and the manufacturer have bad blood between them. He needs to go els-ware, another dealership. Everyone handles probs. differently and there's a hell of a lot of different consumer affairs reps to talk to. If you really want to help, take a more positive avenue in resolving. Ganging up won't get you nothing. This has to be handled one at a time - per problem. For instance this whole SPBlowout issue. Look at how many complaints.......Has Ford given in? Nope!! If any one person wants something done, they have to do the phone calling, etc...Your chances are much greater. You really think that your bashing is hurting FORD ? Really?

Learn how to use the search bars , there's three of them. Lots of info on this.. ALLdata has the TSB's as-well..ALLdata a paid service and have most OASIS info (vehicle specific)- TCCoA is free , but a little slower on the TSB's.

Use what you learn when going els ware instead of copy and paste, unless you keep it here.. It's just not right putting someone else out there...Tell them(others) to come here.

Okay.

Last edited by jbrew; 01-11-2007 at 08:46 AM.

Quick Reply: 04-06 Plug Warning