Size needed to change fuel filter.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 11:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Size needed to change fuel filter.

I have a 1999 F150 5.4L engine 4x4.

I need to change the fuel filter. What diameter fuel filter wrench will I need?

Old 12-22-2006, 11:08 PM
3/8". When you're done with yours come do mine.

Old 12-22-2006, 11:28 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by temp1
I have a 1999 F150 5.4L engine 4x4.

I need to change the fuel filter. What diameter fuel filter wrench will I need?

How yuh been temp1? 3/8 - this one works well for me - gives yuh a little leverage -

Old 12-23-2006, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by jbrew
How yuh been temp1? 3/8 - this one works well for me - gives yuh a little leverage -

Im hanging in there, Jbrew, thanks for asking.

I have one of those X or scissors type wrenches but I have nevered used it. I had good luck with the plastic ones but they got legs and are no where to be found.

I remember conversing with you in the past but I cant remember exactly what it was. Something with water in the oil maybe?

Last edited by temp1; 12-23-2006 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Zaairman
3/8". When you're done with yours come do mine.
Heh, maybe if the temperature is warmer where your at (LOL ). Its 32 here right now and I have to do this outside. Im not looking forward to it.

I also have to replace the battery as my original one is 7 years old and my truck takes about 5 seconds to start the last couple of weeks. It used to start right after I turned the key. I figure I would replace the fuel filter and the battery and see what happens.

The battery is a BTX 65-850. I figure I could not go wrong with 850 cold cranking amps but I did read that the plates are thinner and that the 850 is not as durable as the 65-650 (I dont know if this is true). Time will tell.

Old 12-23-2006, 12:29 PM

I ended up using the 5/16 end of the tool but I suppose the 3/8 works just as well. The secret seems to be to pull hard on the fuel line when the tool is inserted to pull it off of the fuel filter. Trying to push the connection off with the fuel filter tool was not working at all. I suppose I could have put a screwdriver between the filter and the fuel filter tool to add additional force but pulling the fuel line worked quite well.

I could barley blow air through the old filter with my mouth so I have a good feeling that my delayed starting problems were due to the fuel filter. I thought I was changing the filters every 15,000 miles but maybe I missed the last interval.

Gasoline spilled all over me of course and on the ground which I got to lie in also. I guess the only thing left to do is drive to Wal-mart and walk around the store with a lighter in my hand telling folks that Im feeling really bummed out. LOL

Just Kidding.

Last edited by temp1; 12-23-2006 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:35 PM
Heh, maybe if the temperature is warmer where your at (LOL ). Its 32 here right now and I have to do this outside. Im not looking forward to it.

I also have to replace the battery as my original one is 7 years old and my truck takes about 5 seconds to start the last couple of weeks. It used to start right after I turned the key. I figure I would replace the fuel filter and the battery and see what happens.

The battery is a BTX 65-850. I figure I could not go wrong with 850 cold cranking amps but I did read that the plates are thinner and that the 850 is not as durable as the 65-650 (I dont know if this is true). Time will tell.
Either go get a Motorcraft from the dealer, a Duralast Gold 850/100 from Autozone, or a Diehard Gold from Sears. They are all made by the same company (Johnson Controls), and they're the best batteries out there. The Duralast Gold was rated #1 by consumer reports. I've had the same Duralast Gold in my jump cart for almost 9 years.

32 degrees? You big weeny. When you have to swap out a motor, you're outside in a driveway, and it's 30 below zero, then you'll know cold!

Old 12-23-2006, 12:42 PM

i still have the original battery and i keep saying i should replace it but i still haven't gotten around to it yet. my truck was cranking longer to start but, it cleared up so i think it was some bad gas.

i have never had a battery hold up like this one.

Old 12-23-2006, 03:22 PM

I have no idea. My truck has been sitting for a week because I'm in California. And I replaced my battter with an Optima Red Top over the summer, it died after sitting for 3 weeks while I was in California.

Old 12-23-2006, 03:35 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Im hanging in there, Jbrew, thanks for asking.

I have one of those X or scissors type wrenches but I have nevered used it. I had good luck with the plastic ones but they got legs and are no where to be found.

I remember conversing with you in the past but I cant remember exactly what it was. Something with water in the oil maybe?

I have the scissors as well - the walls are to thick on my pair which renders them useless for me.

We met after I gave my COP's a bath and couldn't figure out why they didn't work any longer lol - that was quite awhile ago

Old 12-24-2006, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by tritonpwr

32 degrees? You big weeny. When you have to swap out a motor, you're outside in a driveway, and it's 30 below zero, then you'll know cold!
Geez, your making it real difficult for us folks in the Nudist camp. Do I get to put some clothes on when its 30 below? LOL

Quick Reply: Size needed to change fuel filter.