59K on my 2005 5.4L, Change Plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should I change the plugs on my 2005 Screw with 59k? If so, which are the best plugs? Thanks.

Old 12-20-2006, 04:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-20-2006, 04:17 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Buzzz
Should I change the plugs on my 2005 Screw with 59k? If so, which are the best plugs? Thanks.
I think that if I were you, at this point, I would go for the 100,000. I would be afraid of the extraction problem. Unless there is some reason to think you have a bad plug.

Old 12-20-2006, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
I think that if I were you, at this point, I would go for the 100,000. I would be afraid of the extraction problem. Unless there is some reason to think you have a bad plug.
How would waiting until 100K help the extraction problem?

Old 12-20-2006, 04:23 PM
Global Moderator &

How would waiting until 100K help the extraction problem?
It won't, but the posters on here that have gone past 30,000 have indicated that that is about the limit. I was thinking you would already have the problem if you were going to , so if it were me, I would wait.

Old 12-20-2006, 04:27 PM
It won't, but the posters on here that have gone past 30,000 have indicated that that is about the limit. I was thinking you would already have the problem if you were going to , so if it were me, I would wait.
I see. Mine as well get 40K more miles before something happens.

Would it be better to have the dealer do this?

Old 12-20-2006, 10:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation

I have the 4.2V6 and use Motorcraft plugs (and wires).I change them out at about 40-60k miles.I'm sure Ford has fixed the "plug blowing heads" problem by now so you don't have that worry.If it will help you sleep better at night,change them.BTW,are the newer 5.4 and 4.6 engines easier to replace the plugs on as opposed to the 97-04 era?

Old 12-20-2006, 11:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
The problem now is that to many people have wined about there plugs blowing out - Now you can't get the damn things out. Well, you can if you use your head a little . Keep your force centered - straight down - don't grab the tail of the ratchet and refe. We use an Impact to get them out - NOT an air impact , a cordless set on its lower setting . It will gradually brake them loose and equalize the force. I wouldn't go past 60k on a set - never.. But people have.

Still use a piece of 3/8's rubber air hose or something to put the new plugs in and screw them down with the hose - just like the older trucks - if you can't get them to thread in with a hose , better run a chaser down them first - personaly - never had too. I always been able to run them back in with a hose easily..

Old 12-21-2006, 12:36 AM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Still use a piece of 3/8's rubber air hose or something to put the new plugs in and screw them down with the hose.
You can buy a special socket that has a piece of rubber hose made into it. They're cheap and they work great.

I put over 100,000 on my first set. I'm almost to 200,000 now, and I think I'm gonna change them a little early this time.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by chester8420
You can buy a special socket that has a piece of rubber hose made into it. They're cheap and they work great.

I put over 100,000 on my first set. I'm almost to 200,000 now, and I think I'm gonna change them a little early this time.

Why didn't I know this , Mine just have the rubber incerts - I have to get one of those ..They make a little COP tester now too I heard, it load tests . I can't find one. CarQuest on line has something cheap in that order , but doesn't load test , I wanna find the other.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:51 AM
Global Moderator &

I see. Mine as well get 40K more miles before something happens.

Would it be better to have the dealer do this?
You might want to do a search on the subject and do some reading. Lots has been said about the subject. My own opinion is that a dealer(the tech doing the job) is not going to care enough about what happens to take the necessary time. He just wants to get the job done in the time the book allows. We are told that the best way is to warm the engine slightly, break the plugs loose, squirt in some penetrating fluid, let it sit for a while. Then work the plug back and forth in the threads, adding fluid. You are trying to get the fluid done on the metal shank so it will loosen up as it comes out. You are trying to keep it from binding, then breaking off. If it breaks and you are unable to retrieve all the peices (and there is a way to do this), then you will have to tow it to the dealer and have the heads removed. My feeling is that the odds of successful extraction is probably better with me doing it than some guy in a hurry at the dealership. That is just my take on it.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:40 AM
You might want to do a search on the subject and do some reading. Lots has been said about the subject. My own opinion is that a dealer(the tech doing the job) is not going to care enough about what happens to take the necessary time. He just wants to get the job done in the time the book allows. We are told that the best way is to warm the engine slightly, break the plugs loose, squirt in some penetrating fluid, let it sit for a while. Then work the plug back and forth in the threads, adding fluid. You are trying to get the fluid done on the metal shank so it will loosen up as it comes out. You are trying to keep it from binding, then breaking off. If it breaks and you are unable to retrieve all the peices (and there is a way to do this), then you will have to tow it to the dealer and have the heads removed. My feeling is that the odds of successful extraction is probably better with me doing it than some guy in a hurry at the dealership. That is just my take on it.
And if the dealer snaps one off, he pays for the repairs?

Old 12-21-2006, 11:52 AM
Global Moderator &

And if the dealer snaps one off, he pays for the repairs?
It is my understanding that the answer is no. They hand you a bill for about $1500 if they do one head, about $2400 if they have to remove both. I don't know if anyone has been successful in getting the dealer to eat it. You might be able to have that understanding with the dealer before they start work, but I doubt it. All this is why I suggested doing a search, lots has been written by members and their experiences.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:58 AM
It is my understanding that the answer is no. They hand you a bill for about $1500 if they do one head, about $2400 if they have to remove both. I don't know if anyone has been successful in getting the dealer to eat it. You might be able to have that understanding with the dealer before they start work, but I doubt it. All this is why I suggested doing a search, lots has been written by members and their experiences.
Hmm. Interesting. I wonder if the extended warranty I have(to 100K) would cover this if they break one off. Ill keep looking. Thanks.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:07 PM

Buying a Cordless Impact isn't that bad + It will break your lugs loose on it's highest setting , it's versitol - Plug changout is something I wouldn't trust the dealer to do , but that's me .

The dealer will eat it if you have a case, I got them to eat a whole motor once , but I had to go threw anger managment classes after.

So , whats the prob , can't you do plugs or something? Theres enough info within this forum that my kid could do it , simply by reading.

Quick Reply: 59K on my 2005 5.4L, Change Plugs?