Complete drivetrain swap? What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 02:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Complete drivetrain swap? What would you do?

Hi folks. Over Thanksgiving, I wrecked my 2000 F150. The insurance company decided to total it, but I am going to buy it back for parts (my dad has a '99, and we can use a lot of stuff off of it).
But what I was wondering about was the drivetrain.
The engine (5.4), transmission(4R70W), and axle(9.75" traclock) are all in great shape, the axle has just been rebuilt awhile ago by me. I was thinking of taking that drivetrain, and putting it in an old muscle car, like a '67 Cougar or a '70 Torino. I would transfer all of the electronics/pcm/inertia switch/etc onto the car, shortening or lengthening wires as necesarry.

This was the best truck I ever had; it wasn't the fastest, it didn't pull the hardest, and it didn't get the best mileage, but damn, it NEVER gave me a lick of problems in the 100,000 miles I drove it. I mean nothing, save for maintenance items, and stuff that I messed up.
It was a "jack of all trades and master at none."
So what do yall think I should do?

Old 12-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i would keep as much as i could. i have SEVERAL car bodies i could take from the ol man of this house and stuff that into and give it to him or keep for myself.

i myself thought about a mod motor in my 67 fairlane im starting to restore, but not the 9.75 since i found a 28spline 9" out back and i am rebuilding it and re-gearing.

but i have noticed more and more people puttin the modulars into the muscle cars. why? weight to power ratio i think?

so in a nutshell, take it man, if you have the space for it. you never know when you could need some of that let alone find a home for it in something else that tickles you pink.

Old 12-13-2006, 04:29 PM
Thanks! But basically what I wanted to know was if anyone had done something like this before, and if it would fit. I know that the 5.4 is pretty wide, and those Cougars and Torinos had those skinny shock towers, but they did fit Boss 429's in there, and I am handy with a torch and a welder .
I know that it would be a lot of work, but I need/want a new project.
And I know that the 9.75" probably wouldn't work, I just thought I'd throw it in there.
Thanks again.

Old 12-13-2006, 05:14 PM
i believe one time or another i had read there was a 4.6 in a 65 mustang. that is pretty narrow as well. i dont recall them having to cut the shock towers though? isnt the 5.4 just as wide as the 4.6?

9.75 too wide? you can always cut the perch's and relocate them. i have done that on a 8.8 out of a 92 explorer 4L to put it in a 89 ranger 2.3L

i think the 5.4 would fit with relative ease, your hardest achievement will probably be the motor mounts.

Old 12-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
A nice 66 ford pickup!

Adrianspeeder

Old 12-13-2006, 05:35 PM
yeah the 5.4 would be a mad machine in my dads '50 ford pickup.

Old 12-13-2006, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by adrianspeeder
A nice 66 ford pickup!

Adrianspeeder
I appreciate your input, 'speeder. However, I think I'd like to try a car for the first time in my life. I know that a truck would be easy ( I have a '79 F150 w/ a 460 & a Tremec T56), but I sometimes want something that isn't as big. I've got trucks covered, so now I'd like to try cars.
Keep the ideas coming though!
Thanks!

Old 12-13-2006, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Klitch hit on the major issue for which you will need to watch out. The modular motors are MUCH wider than their pushrod parents. In an old truck, this is probably not too much of an issue given the shear amount of space under the hood. In a car, well, now you have a different situation all together...unless you're talking about a late '70's Lincoln or Grand Marquis. A beast like that should be able to house a 5.4...or a 6.8 liter for that matter!

Good luck, and I should clarify that, no I have not even remotely looked in to or worked on a modular motor swap in to an older vehicle. I am only wishing to emphasize the actual physical size of the modular engines vs the older pushrod Ford designs.

Later, and be sure and let us all know what you decide to do.

Mike

Old 12-13-2006, 10:26 PM
alright thats it im gonna find that mustang article, read it and TELL you what they put the 4.6 in, and what it required to do so.

i coulda swore it took very little effort...
but its gonna take me a lot more considering it may have been a year ago i seen that.

Quick Reply: Complete drivetrain swap? What would you do?