how do I change my 03 Exp o2 sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do I change my 03 Exp o2 sensor?

My datalog shows a possible bad (erratic) o2 on psgr side. I've tried to look for it from inside the engine and underneath. Where the heck is that thing, and how do you change it? My Ex has the 4.6l engine.

Thanks for your assistance.

Old 12-03-2006, 02:45 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Go through the wheel well.

Old 12-03-2006, 04:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I just did mine going threw the wheel well - I had to pull my trans dipstick tube as well , in order to turn the wrench. It wasn't bad one lttle bolt and it pulls out - just use compressed air to clean the tube where it joins before you do that , prevent the dirt from falling in the trans. It might not even be in your way , but it was on my 98 5.4L.

Old 12-03-2006, 07:47 PM
Did you remove the plastic well liner? If so, are they screws or push type plastic anchors?

Thanks for your help.

Old 12-03-2006, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by waterman308
Did you remove the plastic well liner? If so, are they screws or push type plastic anchors?

Thanks for your help.

Yes definetly remove your wheelwell. I have both on mine - the plastic anchores and screws. Sometimes the plastic anchores will pull out and you'll be able to re-use , but don't count on it get new ones. Take one with you to Auto Zone or Murreys , they have them there.

Old 12-04-2006, 12:44 AM
Just in case you didnt buy the sensor yet, you can use a universal o2 sensor for an 83 chevy caprice. Its just a one wire install as well. Most o2 sensors have 3-4 wires, which only heat up the sensor for quicker readings while the engine is warming up. So I would advise getting a $15 o2 sensor versus a oem replacement for $60-120.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:18 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TurboPants
Just in case you didnt buy the sensor yet, you can use a universal o2 sensor for an 83 chevy caprice. Its just a one wire install as well. Most o2 sensors have 3-4 wires, which only heat up the sensor for quicker readings while the engine is warming up. So I would advise getting a $15 o2 sensor versus a oem replacement for $60-120.

Hi.

Thanks for the good laugh - that's just about the dumbest advice I've seen on here for awhile ( right up there with SeaFoam)

The factory-specified front O2's - (Bosch/Motorcraft sensors @ approx $50 @ AutoZone), directly determine A/F's in closed loop on his F150 - (a far cry from an '83 Caprice). So it would be just plain ridiculous to use anything else just to save $35, and risk the motor. Good grief.

The heater in the O2 assures quick warm up of the sensor into operating range to help with emissions as well.

Waterman - Search AutoZone's site for the correct part number for your vehicle & MY. And yep, thru the wheel well is good advice, try to get hold of an O2 sensor socket if you can. Make sure you don't get any hi-temp antiseize on the sensor head - this will eff it up real quick.

Cheers
Bubba

Last edited by MGDfan; 12-04-2006 at 07:21 AM.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:25 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by TurboPants

If you install a single wire sensor into a circuit requiring a 4 wire circuit as does this truck, you'll never get it emissions tested since OBD-II systems also test the heater circuit.....

While this might allow the computer to control fuel trim, it simply is not a valid substitute.

Steve

Old 12-04-2006, 08:55 AM

First time I heard anyone bad mouth SeaFoam - That's the dumbest thing I 've heard yet.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:08 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
First time I heard anyone bad mouth SeaFoam - That's the dumbest thing I 've heard yet.
"Oh, Jbrew ...!!!"

Where have you been? Too late, bud. It's already been badmouthed by experts. Search. You can pour that overpriced blend of naptha and light oil crappola in your engine all day long. I really don't give a rat's patootie.

Just don't be surprised if/when your O2's go south . Tell you what - if they do, just use an '83 Caprice sensor - the money you save will let you buy more or 'em.

Good grief. The chit & snake oil remedies-in-a-can folks will waste their money on ....

... and to think you said it was just a prop ...

Cheers
Bubba

Old 12-04-2006, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by MGDfan
"Oh, Jbrew ...!!!"

Where have you been? Too late, bud. It's already been badmouthed by experts. Search. You can pour that overpriced blend of naptha and light oil crappola in your engine all day long. I really don't give a rat's patootie.

Just don't be surprised if/when your O2's go south . Tell you what - if they do, just use an '83 Caprice sensor - the money you save will let you buy more or 'em.

Good grief. The chit & snake oil remedies-in-a-can folks will waste their money on ....

... and to think you said it was just a prop ...

Cheers
Bubba
Hi!

I've been here - Late for what? You an your experts been in solitaire to long. Search where ?- I haven't heard one person on this site badmouth it, you search. It's no wonder you don't like it , your not suppose to pour in your engine all day long dummy, your lucky it was just your O2's that got wasted.

Your recommending an 83 Caprice sensor for my truck? Now I know your screwed up.

Yup , It was a prop , because I already used it's contents - the can was empty. Can't you figure anything out, bubba?

LOL

Old 12-04-2006, 10:40 AM
gentlemen, gentlemen,

I just needed some ABC's on getting the O2 out. No need to argue about Seafoam (which i have tried. Seemed to work on my Ex and my E350 v10 wagon - engines ran smooth and quiet afterwards).

On the caprice O2 - hmmmm. Even I, super-noob, know better than that

Thanks for your collective advice.

W.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:34 AM
They must have 4x4's (and it says so in their user info). It's not nearly that hard with a 2x. Just get you a open end, get under there, and do it. The only hard part is fishing out the connector. Spray some penetrating oil or WD-40 on the existing sensors and let them sit over night.

It's really not hard.

Quick Reply: how do I change my 03 Exp o2 sensor?