Replacing Ford F-150 Engine Advice.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Ford F-150 Engine Advice.

Hi everyone,

My 1999 Ford F-150 4.6L V8 has 160,000 miles on it and I'm starting to think of getting a brand new engine for it.

Is that feasable?
Who does it?
Does Ford sell factory brand new engines?
Would it be a job that I should give to the dealer?
Is it worth it?
Has anyone done it before?

I'm just thinking that it might not be cheaper than just fixing everything as it breaks but over the long run it would be less headaches?

I'm not a mechanic. Just a cheapskate who would like to drive my only new car ever purchased (I'm 43) until I die.

Old 11-28-2006, 04:46 PM
Is that feasable?
yes

Who does it?
any mechanic shop

sort of, but not any price you would want to pay

Would it be a job that I should give to the dealer?
no, unless you just like burning money

Is it worth it?
depends, why do you want to do it?

Has anyone done it before?
yes

Old 11-28-2006, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by tritonpwr
sort of, but not any price you would want to pay

Is it worth it?
depends, why do you want to do it?

Hi tritonpwr,

Thanks for the responses. If not directly from Ford, who else would sell an actual new Ford engine? I'm assuming only Ford makes new Ford engines???

Why I want to do it? Like I said, just to extend the life of my truck toward infinity without having to deal with endless problems that inevitably start to occur at high mileage. I figure it will be cheaper than buying a new $25,000 truck no matter what? But I've never done it so I don't know.

Thanks,

Charlie

Old 11-28-2006, 06:02 PM
same

Hey, I'm in the same situation. I know nothing about replacing an engine, but will need to soon and also want to do this to save money rather than buying a new truck. I need a Ford F-150 4.9L straight 6. Any ideas on where to begin to look?
Thanks,
Jennifer

Old 11-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Suspended
Exclamation

Are you having specific troubles yet?

Or are you doing this as some form of preventative maintenance? I ask because the 4.6 has been rated the best engine in the world many times from many critics in their respective years and categories. It is known for lasting a LOT longer than 160k miles.

you may want to look into getting a good shop to do a thorough tune-up and inspection before getting a whole new engine when it would most likely not be needed.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just put a Ford re-manufactured 5.4 engine in my 2000 4x4 Lariat it was about $3800 plus installation. It came with a 3 year 36k mile warranty, it was more money than an aftermarket engine, but it runs great better than new and I couldn't be happier.

http://www.motorcraft.com/powertrain_products.do?item=1

Last edited by rkjerue; 11-28-2006 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:39 PM
I'd get a compression/leak down test before doing anything drastic, like replacing the whole engine. If it isn't using oil or knocking, then you prolly do not need a new motor. The little things that can go wrong still will, even with a new engine. All of the external parts that start to break at that milage get carried over to the new block. Water pump, altenator, heads (if you go short block), fuel injectors, cops, all the wiring and sensors you get the idea.
If you fail the leak down/compression tests and need a new long block, a friend of mine got a new Jasper engine from AdvancedAuto (V6), and had it installed at a local shop (NOT a dealer), for $3400. Had the truck back in 2 days.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:04 PM
Hey, Thanks for all of the advice from everyone above. All great points!

I really don't need to replace it yet. I think my problem is I'm starting to have new car envy and I find myself thinking its time to plunk down another 25Gs for a new truck but then I say, why?, just get a new engine and you'll be good for another 160000 miles.

I'm just starting the thinking process. Nothing specifically wrong with my truck right now but I can tell it doesn't start, run, etc like it once did. Kind of like watching your family pet start to slow down. Hard to watch it happen without wanting to do something.

I didn't even know if it was feasible but with the replys above, I now know it can definitely be done. I will continue to research the possbilities on this site and others so I'm ready when the day comes to put this ole engine down.

Thanks agian for you help. This site is awesome for F150 owners.

Quick Reply: Replacing Ford F-150 Engine Advice.