2004 F-150: E85 (Ethonol)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 F-150: E85 (Ethonol)

GM has been on a big advertising kick the past few days on how their vehicles (mainly trucks) are E85 ready. Other than where the name is derived (85% ethyl alcohol and 15% petrol) I don't know a whole lot about E85. The GM commercials claim that E58 is cheaper, emits fewer pollutants into the atmosphere and produces more power.

Are the statements from GM true? If so, what does it take to make our trucks E85-ready? I've heard rumors that it's not very expensive. Also, are there any ill affects (e.g. reduced engine life)?

Thank you in advance...

Last edited by senfo; 04-19-2006 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
E85 is cheaper than regular unleaded, but it also typically delivers worse fuel mileage than a comparibly equipped vehicle running gasoline.

And no, gasoline vehicles cannot be readily outfitted to run on E85.

Old 04-19-2006, 05:43 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Quintin
E85 is cheaper than regular unleaded, but it also typically delivers worse fuel mileage than a comparibly equipped vehicle running gasoline.

And no, gasoline vehicles cannot be readily outfitted to run on E85.
It is cheaper to the consumer, but actually cost more to make. there is a substantial government subsidy involved to keep it "cheaper".

Old 04-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Some truths about Ethanol

A large number of 2006 F-150s run on ethanol, E85. If the 8th number in the VIN is V, you are good to go.

Ford pretty much invented the Ethanol vehicle, but GM is whooping us on advertising. No worries, Ford just plunked down a huge chunk to catch up and 1.1 billion on a plant.

There is also a different kind of ethanol, E10. You can put E10 in anything. Ford officially approves of this. Furthermore, you can convert most cars to E85 if you want. This is a truth. Look at racecars. It is basically just a compression thing with variable O2 levels. It can be harmful to some older engine parts, but this is not common. Cork, rubbers, and plastics don't work well. Again, this is very uncommon. It is easier with a carb engine than injection.

Ford has made for years several other vehicles that will run on Ethanol (Taurus and Explorer, Explorer Sport, ...). There are about 1 million of them out there. Most people don't know they have one.

I have studied ethanol in my field of study. My deparment chair won the Harmon Trophy (also give to Lindbergh, Yeager, etc) for being the first to fly the Atlantic on it. He is the father of alcohol aviation fuels. Ethanol increases pretty much every aspect of performance not to mention environmental and renewable resourse bonuses.

It hurts fuel economy a bit if you do not have your engine properly tuned. It also all depends on the mix (ethanol mixes vary greatly). It is a slower burning fuel, so like diesel, it is more efficient. The price of ethanol varies greatly depending on where you live. And, believe it or not, you can legally and fairly easily make your own ethanol.

I am not going to run out and pour it in my truck, but if I had to, I would not be worried to death. I have poored it in other things and they worked fine. If anyone has tried it in a truck, let me know. Please feel free to fire any questions this way. In a few years, we will all be chilling with E85+.

Respectfully,

Claire

Also, mild trivia, but the model T was originally supposed to run on it. Geeze, this would be a different world. Many people still belive it will with a few compression tweaks (easier on a carb). Maybe if I ever get brave I will pour some in and try it in ours.

Old 04-20-2006, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by Claire_Kultgen
Also, mild trivia, but the model T was originally supposed to run on it. Geeze, this would be a different world. Many people still belive it will with a few compression tweaks (easier on a carb). Maybe if I ever get brave I will pour some in and try it in ours.
Yeah, he was gonna make it to run on fuel that people could make themselves, but the big oil companies prevented that!!!

Old 04-20-2006, 10:56 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Isn't this the stuff that is hard on rubber seals and o rings? In other words, if your vehicle is not designed for it, you should not use it? I seem to recall something like that as being the reason you don't use it in older vehicles.

Old 04-20-2006, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
Isn't this the stuff that is hard on rubber seals and o rings? In other words, if your vehicle is not designed for it, you should not use it? I seem to recall something like that as being the reason you don't use it in older vehicles.
That's what I've heard. My girlfriend's ranger will run off it.

Old 04-21-2006, 01:20 AM
Yep, ethanol will eat rubber and other soft materials over time. This isn't as big a deal in fuel injected engines, but it is harder to adjust the O2 levels.

Again, a large # of the new F-150s will run on it. I would love some feedback from someone with one. And, there are many other models (yep the Ranger too) that will already work on it. Know what the differences are in mpg your girl gets? Can you tell when the compression adjusts to O levels?

Old 04-21-2006, 02:04 AM
Suspended
When you take into account the cost's of farming to get the E-85, I don't beleave it is more enviro friendly ( D. tracters to farm, D. trucks to transport ) I like the Bio Diessel idea and unless Ford put's thier truck's on a diet, Diessel engines are more efficent and in time thier cost's will come down, Tracter Trailers don't run on E-85...

Old 04-27-2006, 01:18 PM
Thumbs up Thank you

I've heard the same thing about Bio Diessel being the way to go. Somebody even argued that E-85 worked out to a net loss.

In the end, I'm not sure if I would actually run E-85. But I am interested in learning more about it. Crazy hours at work keep me from doing any research (which is why it took me so long to get back here to give my response )

At any rate, I appreciate all the feedback. You definitely gave me some stuff to think about.

Thank you...

Old 04-27-2006, 02:13 PM
These threads are poping up all over the place online.

E-85 could be run in your vehicle with little to no ill effects, but as you've read above. Be read to replace the ruber O-rings on your injectors, your ruber fuel lines, and get some nasty drops in mpg.

Other forms have discussed it in the aspect of Forced Induction engines due to its 100-105 octane rating. By raising your octane, you decrease your chance of knock, and can run higher boost.

N/A engines will not recover from the savings on gas due to having to replace the lines and o-rings every year.

You pay anywhere from 5-35% less depending on where you live, and get anywhere from 15-35% reduction in fuel economy.

Save your self the trouble and buy a vehicle designed for it. But on F/I vehicles the options and ability of the fuel is REALLY nice.

Quick Reply: 2004 F-150: E85 (Ethonol)