Terrible Tulsa Truck Tragedy!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 07:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terrible Tulsa Truck Tragedy!

Hi everyone, I am new here, desperately seeking some advice. My Daddy passed away last Sept. and gave me his 1997 F150, 2wd, 4.6 triton, on his last day so it is critical that I figure out a way to fix this truck. I recently relocated to Tulsa for school, 1200 miles away from the nearest reletive and needless to say, students are broke so please keep this in mind when advising. Ok so I stupidly let a guy from my school drive my truck to give me a "local tour" and I ended up with a truck stuck in sand. He was VERY hard on the truck trying to get it out reving it sky high in reverse and drive, but it was no use, we had to get pulled out. We also ended up being pulled through a GIANT mudpuddle. After we got on pavement the truck ran fine for about 20miles. Then would not start. After the jacka$$ left me on the road by myself for an hour, I got it to start but in order to keep it running I had to keep it at at least 2 grand and it was wanting to stall. It is def not running on all it's cylinders, and making a horrible shuddering and clanking, and smoking badly. No check engine light, no overheating, but when I got it home I checked the oil and ithad dissapeared! I am a religous fluid checker, so it hadn't been that way for long. I put 5 quarts in and started it, same thing. I pulled the wires and plugs and they are dry. One neighbor of mine thinks it may have jumped time, another neighbor thinks bad rings. Neither are mechanics. Not even 3 months ago, right before I came here, I spent 5 grand at the Ford dealership for new timing chain and pully and assorted engine work. If it is the timing, I think Ford should cover it under warrenty but if not, I can't afford to bring it there for a diagnosis and it be something else and have to pay for that. Please advise me on what I can check myself or try to do. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this huge post. :-)

Old 07-22-2013, 09:57 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
If its got a heavy metallic clanking and had no oil, its not looking very good

Old 07-22-2013, 11:06 AM
Yes, I am sure it is not good at all, but because of the sentimental value of the truck, I have to repair it. I just need an idea of where to start.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:35 AM
If there is no oil in the motor, then that's your problem. Maybe the oil pan was damaged when the truck was pulled out? Is it dripping fluids from underneath? If the truck ran without oil, you need a new motor.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:08 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I knew a girl who had a 67 mustang when I was young she let he boyfriend drive and he took it out in a field chasing cows. Destroyed the car. I recommend finding a decent boyfriend who can work on cars.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New motor is the way to go. Doesnt sound like the motor you have is worth the effort of fixing. Either way you go its not going to be a cheap fix!!!!!!!!

good luck

Old 07-22-2013, 08:33 PM
I would also recommend a new engine. Oil is unbelievably vital to an engine. If you needed to add 5 quarts you had a little more than 15% of all the oil that's supposed to be in there. I would check local scrap yards for an engine you would be able to drop in. These trucks are still pretty popular so you shouldn't have too much of a problem locating one.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:33 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
A good used engine out of the boneyard is going to be the cheapest fix.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:51 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I don't know what years the engine would have to be to transplant but a 97 engine with low miles would be a rare find in the salvage yards. You have a dilemma for sure. You may have to park it until the funds and clarity on a path forward is formed. Don't ever let anyone drive your vehicles!

Old 07-23-2013, 10:00 AM
Like everyone else said. If it needed 5qts and was making a lot of noise then it is more than likely not worth fixing. No oil does catastrophic damage within a very short amount of time. Lesson learned.

Expect a used 4.6 with decent miles to be around 1200$

Old 07-23-2013, 12:01 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Small claims court on the guy that was giving you a "local tour"! In the sand? As MOM said; "REALLY?"

Otherwise you'd better find a way to come up with at least $2000. And that will be for a used engine in VERY unknown condition.

Welcome to the world of ADULT responsiblity, next time THINK about who you loan your vehicles (and everything else!) to and what they're going to do with it! Did you ever ask yourself why this guy doesn't have a car of his own??? Now you know why!

Quick Reply: Terrible Tulsa Truck Tragedy!