Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 10-29-2005, 03:29 PM

Pinging

My Ford F150 04', 12,000 miles has an almost constant, slight rattling or pinging. I have a 1,400 lb (dry weight) pop-up camper that is on the truck at all times. I took the truck in to get service and they adjusted the timing, but it still pings. I have tried higher grade gas and octane boost, but it still pings. Any suggestions, please?
Old 10-29-2005, 10:13 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ford F150
Take it back to the dealer. The higher grade gas will reduce the pinging a little, but it is not a good idea to burn it in your engine. They are made to run on 87.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:47 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
I have the same problem with my 04 Supercrew 4.6 liter. I took it to the dealer, they replaced the timing chains and the guides, and I still have the problem. The pinging sounds like an old muscle car that the valves are pinging due to the octane of the gas. I have tried different makes and grades of gas and still the same thing. Its going back to the shop Monday, the dealer says they do not know what the problem is. It doesnt do it at idle only in gear and under a load. rosmith@eprod.com
Old 10-30-2005, 02:38 AM

Vehicle: 1995 Ford F150
I would check for air in the cooling system. This is just a guess, I don't know about this motor-- but it's a general thing to check. As with most things, if it's not a problem inherent to that engine, it's probably something simple.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:06 AM

Vehicle: 2002 F150 super crew
First are you sure it is ping? You seem not to be sure.
Pinging is the results of ignition too early in the cycle.
If premium fuel does not help this then it is not the the problem assuming it is not pinging so severe that the truck should not be driven.
First thing I would do is take the camper off and see what you have then go from there. If it all but stops then it is load related and special measures need to be considered.
You need to entertain the thoughts that the dealer is bound by a set of standards and rules that sometimes puts them and you in a bind to solve special problems that may not be in the normal catagory for repairs. Then this is the results, they try and you get upset.
I pull GCW weight in the 12,000 lb range on 87 fuel with no problem.
Good luck.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:11 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ford F-150
Have you tried resetting the PCM?

I had that pinging problem with my '98 4.6, and resetting the PCM fixed it, for me.

Somehow the spark advance got messed up, and the computer needed to "re-learn" the proper settings.

Doesn't cost anything to try.

Old 10-30-2005, 03:09 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Ford F-150
my 98 4.6 with 80,000 miles pings but only on the highway when im trying to pass someone and I have the throttle completely open(foot to floor heh)from a takeoff with the throttle wide open theres no ping at all.Ive tried various octanes from different stations and even tried using octane booster.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:56 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150
Send a message via AIM to Faster150
sounds like a fuel timing issue. did they hook it up to WDS and look at the fuel curve while under acceleration
Old 11-02-2005, 12:22 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Ford F-150
I don't know about the 2004 trucks, but there used to be a shorting jumper on a connector on the cable harness going to the computer. If the engine knocks, you just removed the jumper and the computer knows to back off the timing advance.
Mods: Mobil 1 engine oil, Red Line D4 ATF trans fluid, Edelbrock IAS shocks, si/so 50 Series Flowmaster, airbox mod, Perma-Cool electric radiator fan, Superchip, ASP underdrive pulley, Magnecor wires, UnderCover, reman engine (@148,000 mi)
Old 11-02-2005, 09:05 PM

My 97 4.6 would ping under load, especially when pulling a trailer. Finally cleaned the MAF and all pinging is gone. I bought the security tool and removed it. Used The quick dry electrical cleaner.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:05 PM