How to change spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to change spark plugs

Hi

I Dont know much about engines or how to do the major repairs but only the basics like oil change, filters..etc..I own 2000 f150 triton 4x4. I just bought the truck less than a year ago.. And I want to put new spark plugs in and check for loose plugs. How do I get to all 8 plugs with the crap on top of it. I know how to change plugs and all but I'm new to the ford engines ...Oh ya...when Im driving over 60 miles per hour and accelerate..my engine starts to shake...Last time it happen before withine 30 days of purchase and teh dealer replace some #4 coil. So If it is the coil..which coil would it be? I dont feel like bringing my truck to the ford dealer 6 times within one year. hehe...any help would be appreciated...like websites link about hwo to change plugs..

Old 02-14-2005, 06:56 PM
Do this with a cold engine. Use the recomended tourque values. OEM plugs are the best value unless you have a severly modified engine.

http://home.midsouth.rr.com/lightnin...parkplugs.html

Old 02-14-2005, 08:41 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Be very careful not to over torque the plugs. There is a design problem with these engines in that there aren't many threads in the head. If you over torque you can strip the threads. If you under torque, the plug can blow out and take a few threads with it. It happens a lot accoding to the posts on this board. There is much discussion about this problem and there also is a fix that doesn't include replacing the head.

Old 02-14-2005, 09:58 PM
if u run ur engine up to about 7,000 RPM for a few minutes ones the rod gives and it throws the piston it should hit the spark plug and shoot that sucked right out but if u dont wanna do it that way . they have special sockets for them their price but make changing plugs on these modular engines easy. only took me about an hour with just a standard rachet.

Old 02-15-2005, 09:45 AM
Old 02-15-2005, 10:20 PM
When I was looking how to get to the plugs...there is a bunch of pipes, hoes, in the way..Again Im not a mechanic I just know the basics like oil change, filters. I've changed spark plugs before on a different car with nothing in the way. How do I get to the plugs without removing anything...or Do I have to remove some pipes and hoes to get to them.

Im also wanting to change out a coil because when I drive over 60 mhp and accelerating..the engine shakes while I accerate....this happen to me before and the dealer replace the #4 coil pack. Is there a way to find out which coil is causing this?

by the way mattadams your site doesnt work..thanx.

Old 02-15-2005, 10:49 PM
Cklap

I dont know What kind of truck you bought, but I would seriously get rid of the HOES under the HOOD!!!

I hope you meant hoses, like in coolant hoses????

Thats the best post I have seen yet .

A bunch of PIPES and HOES under the HOOD!!!

Typical FORD!!!! I bet the thing SHAKES at 60!!!

Gooser

Old 02-15-2005, 10:55 PM
Sorry...I didnt realize it was spelled that way..but anyways...what would I have to remove before getting to all 8 plugs?

Old 02-15-2005, 10:56 PM
Are you sure it doesn't work? I just tried it and the link went ok. Try cutting and pasting.

Old 02-15-2005, 11:01 PM
cklap

From the sound of your experiance, I would seriously consider taking the truck in and have a Tech do the work.

If its a 5.4, make sure you do. The back 2 cylinders can really test your patience.

Gooser

Old 02-15-2005, 11:20 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Moosegooser
cklap

From the sound of your experiance, I would seriously consider taking the truck in and have a Tech do the work.
I agree. More than one man has lost his way to heaven trying to change the plugs on these engines. From reading your posts, I would say you would be much better off paying someone else to do the job.

Not trying to be a jerk -- just trying to save you some frustration!

Old 02-15-2005, 11:25 PM
It's a five year old truck with plugs that are rated for 100,000 miles. Before you go through the hassle of replacing the plugs you should be asking yourself "why" first.

If you're set on changing them, get yourself a decent socket set with a universal joint (a swivel thingy) and several lengths of extensions.

You don't need to remove anything from the engine, just work around them. The back two plugs are going to be tough to get to, so take a break, have a beer, then try again.

Old 02-16-2005, 02:54 PM
It is definately not the easiest thing to do, but can be done. There are pipes (fuel fail) and HOES (PCV valve, DPFE hoses) in the way but it's not as bad as it looks. You'll need a ratchet, a couple of different length extensions, a 5/8 spark plug socket, a universal joint and a 7mm flex socket (to remove the rear coil bolts under the fuel rail on the driver's side, available at Sears) and a torque wrench.
Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery. One by one, disconnect the electric plug from the coil, remove the 7mm bolt that holds the coil, remove the coil and before removing the plug, blast air down in the hole to blow out any debris, then remove the plug and replace, torque to 13 ft. lbs. You can unplug the HOES that are in the way and just put them back.
After a lot of patience, cussing, nicks and cuts - it will get done!! The first times the worst, after that, it gets much easier.

We're a fun group of guys and just raggin' on ya about the HOES. In all in fun!!!

Last edited by 01screw; 02-16-2005 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:43 PM
01screw

Hey..thanx alot, your description helps...and thats all I basically need. I just dont want to remove any Hose that I dont have to. but yeah....I'm gonna give it a shot this weekend....to bad none of you's live in WI then you could make some money off of me! hehe.

Old 02-16-2005, 08:45 PM
I forgot to thanx mattadams for the site..it works today..yesterday It didnt work for me..thanx ya'll

Quick Reply: How to change spark plugs