More starter issues, new information

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 12:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More starter issues, new information

I had my starter re-built and my truck still behaves like the starter is going out. On occasion, but never at Start Mart where it was rebuilt, I'll turn the key and get that high pitch grinding sound that typically indicates a bad starter.

Well the guys who rebuilt it pulled it off on Sunday and insisted it looked fine inside and out. They re-replaced the solenoid on Sunday and tried to convince me that would solve my problem. Now that it didn't, I am not convinced they know what they are doing.

I have noticed that this problem is most persistant when I park the truck for about 30 minutes after it is fully warmed up. I know that doesn't make sense, but I would bet that 9 out of the 10 times I get the screeching sound, it is after the truck has sit and partially cooled down. To the best of my recollection, it has never done it cold or when fully warmed up.

Anyone have any more ideas?

Greg

Old 09-09-2004, 09:49 AM
go get a brand new starter and try it, if it does the same thing you can always bring the starter back. when you have the starter out i would trace the wires back to make sure they are not touching or worn thru anywhere. my 93 GMC had starter issues as well. i went thru about 3 starters before i noticed a wire had worn thru against the manifold. it still would screw up even after i fixed the wire. i also had an issue with one starter because it was bigger in diameter it would overheat and i had to let it sit for 20-30 minutes before i could restart it as well. i finally got fed up and went and bought a new bosch starter and i had no more problems after that. good luck.

Old 09-09-2004, 11:11 AM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This can also be a sign of teeth missing on the flywheel. It will only do it when the engine is trying to start the flywheel turning using the damaged teeth. I hope that is not what has happened. You can remove the inspection plate and have someone turn the engine over slowly using a wrench while you carefully check the teeth.
The fix is a new flywheel.

Old 09-09-2004, 01:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WLF is dead on with his diagnosis. In addition to that the flexplate sometimes cracks between the stamped holes and causes the the ring gear to wobble as it spins (sort of like a bent bicycle rim). This moves the ring gear away from the gear on the starter drive and causes the same noise. Unfortunately the fix is also a new flwheel.

Pics are only for visual aid. Cracks can develop between bolt holes, stamped holes, or both.

Good luck

Old 09-09-2004, 05:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The last time you posted this problem I suggested you check your flywheel-aka-flex plate for missing teeth.

Old 09-10-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by BlueOvalFitter
The last time you posted this problem I suggested you check your flywheel-aka-flex plate for missing teeth.
Thanks to all. And yes Blueoval I remember your post but at the time I didn't think it was that drastic so I forgot your advice. Also, understand I have no means of checking the flywheel-aka-flex-plate by myself and my first course of action was to have the place re-re-build the starter/solenoid/bendix.

Well today they did it for the third time and still no go. I'll check with a Ford dealer tomorrow and see what they say. I know it will start with, why did you take it to one of those places? Why? Because those places always say, why did you take it to the dealer?

Any idea what a flywheel might run me?

Greg

Last edited by Greg Matty; 09-11-2004 at 12:20 AM.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:29 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The only local auto parts store that had one was Advance auto parts. They wanted $46.00.You might want to try;
www.fordparts.com

Old 09-12-2004, 09:57 PM
Greg no offense intended but you do not sound like you have the nesessary mechanical ability to attempt to replace the fly-wheel. This isn't really something a novice or beginer should be doning on his own if you do attempt this read read read and call a buddy who knows his Sh*t for help.

If im wrong about you i appologize i just dont want you to get in over your head.

Quick Reply: More starter issues, new information