Oil pressure problem at during cold outdoor temps......

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 08:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil pressure problem at during cold outdoor temps......

I have a '01 Supercrew 4x4 with a 5.4L engine. My oil pressure guage and light are doing some strange things. The guage will read no pressure, and the warning light will come on....then it will suddenly go up to normal pressure and the light will go off. It does this several times when the outside temp is very cold. This has been a very cold week here in Cleveland, and it has done this nearly every morning.

My oil level is fine, so I am assuming it is just the sending unit. Is it possible that the wire on the unit is just dirty? Should I try to clean the contact, or just replace the sending unit?

I probably won't do much until it warms up a bit, it is currently only 12 degrees, and only supposed to go up to 19. It's not as cold as it has been, but it is still very cold.

Old 01-24-2004, 09:26 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would guess the same thing, wiring or sending unit itself, without any note of the old checkng method of a clacking valve train.
AutoTap would show the same info as far as oil pressure, but would provide the only the additional info if the signal is making it to the PCM, and having the problem between the PCM and the gauge in the dash.

I would not go too long without working on it myself. But I'd rather brave the cold in a pair of carharts, then poss have to put in a new long block.

Good luck, let us know what you come up with.

Old 01-24-2004, 04:12 PM
I have the same situation with the guage indication.

Flushed engine and oil changed in case maybe stuck lifter / lifter holes clogged

Ok for two weeks

Replaced the oil sending pressure sensor. I do and did have an engine noise.

4 days have passed

The gauage is at normal now but the day after sensor was replaced I noticed that the guage moved again just one time a little differently for just a moment then before and then went back to its typical position.

What brought on the gauge (and light) low pressure indication the two times it started doing this was when more than typical acceleration on the xway.

Oil pump?

Still have tektek noise (possibly water pump?)

Old 01-24-2004, 04:20 PM
Hey rockycarl,

There is a known problem with the oil pressure "guage" (i use that term loosly since it is a dummy indicator) during very cold temps. Mine has been doing this for the past 2 winters. Actually it is not the guage but the oil pressure switch that is on the engine that tells the guage to go on or off. It does not work when very cold.

I use mobil1 synthetic (0-30) so the possibility of the oil being to thick to move around the engine is minimized.

I check the oil every week during the winter just to make sure. I crapped my pants the first time I saw that happen. If you can garage the truck (mine is too long) that may eleviate the "problem" and give you piece of mind.

60k so far an no problems with my '01.

Old 01-24-2004, 04:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

rockycarl -

I too have an '01 'Screw with the 5.4L, but mine is a 4x2.

Last winter I went to leave and my oil pressure gauge was down and the oil light was on.

Drove a block and it stayed on. Put it in reverse to go back and it turned off. Put it back in Drive and it came on.

Parked it, had it towed to the Ford dealer and they replaced the sending unit. Problem solved.

I am in Florida, so it doesn't get anywhere near as cold as Cleveland, so if the problem is temp related, it probably would be more apparent for you.

15 minutes to change and $10 if I remember correctly.

SSCULLY is right - 15 minutes in the cold to be sure you have oil pressure is cheap insurance when compared to the alternative...

Old 01-24-2004, 05:15 PM
If you decide to work on your truck do yourself a favor and put a TRUE pressure gauge on the truck. Better then replacing a $10 on/off switch.

The guage we have is just an on/off guage. You have oil pressure or you dont (there maybe a low pressure, ie under 15 psi light it up but I have not seen any info about that). You will never know if you have a "low pressure" condition that could cause your engine damage. I never watch that guage, I use the 2 guages on the side of my head....my ears. I also get my oil tested to see if there has been an increase of deposits that could indicate an small chronic problem as opposed to a large acute problem.

Hope this helps

Old 01-25-2004, 06:21 PM
mine is doin the same exact thing!!!!! if figured that it is a electrical problem. its only when its really cold and the needle pops up and down like its a conection thing. its a real pain in the butt.

Old 02-22-2004, 10:54 PM
My 2001 F150 5.4 did the same thing when the temps were below 25 degrees, 8 dollars, and 45 minutes of my time later I changed the oil pressure switch and haven't had a problem since.

Old 02-23-2004, 12:30 PM
it's the sending unit. apparently a fairly common problem. usually occurs during colder weather.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure problem at during cold outdoor temps......