3.5 Ecoboost Oil Overfilled from the FACTORY?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 11:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.5 Ecoboost Oil Overfilled from the FACTORY?

Question for anyone who has purchased a brand new F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost. I recently traded my 2006 Supercrew (5.4) for a 2014 Supercab Ecoboost. I decided to check the oil just for the heck of it, at just over 1,100 miles (engine cold, sitting overnight). It appears that it is overfilled, from the factory. I tried to search for others that may have also noticed this, but only came across people complaining about quick change places or even dealers overfilling them after a change (not the initial fill).

According to the manual, the oil level should be between the upper and lower holes on the dipstick. There are also two bends, or kinks in the dipstick (presumably to prevent the oil from getting wiped off or smeared as the dipstick is pulled out of the dipstick tube). The oil on mine is about where the upper "kink" is, which is about 1/2 an inch above the upper hole, however much oil that equates to.

I have also noticed soot or carbon buildup blowing out of the tailpipe on startup. It is obvious for me because I happen to have a cardboard box against the wall of my garage, about a foot away from the tailpipe. I don't really think this is related to the overfilled oil, but I did find it interesting. Although, a guy I work with has a 2013 Limited F150 (with Ecoboost obviously) with around 20-25K on it, and I have noticed the tail pipe has quite a bit of black soot on it. I should say the chrome tip does, because that is what you really notice it on. My also has a chrome tip, and it is just starting to show some soot on it.

Anyway, I think I am going to drain some oil out of mine, into a clean container, and then top it off so it is at the upper hole, or just below, which is what I have done ever since I have been changing oil. I have never had anyone else change my oil, so I have never had an overfill problem.

Has anyone else noticed theirs overfilled from the factory? Or care to comment on the black soot? I never noticed excessive soot from my 5.4, so am not sure if it is just more noticeable with an exhaust tip (didn't have one on the last truck) or if it is an Ecoboost thing. This is the first turbo vehicle I have ever owned.

Last edited by lj17; 10-26-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:27 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
The black soot is from running rich when cold. All EBs do it.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:48 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Black soot is completely normal ALL D/I engines do it, its not just a Eb problem.. You may even see black smoke for a few seconds on a cold start.

As far as the oil i wouldnt worry about it.. When are you planning to change the oil? I would recommend 1000 to 1500 miles since its a new truck.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The EB engine has a tendency towards fuel dilution of the oil. Just google "ecoboost fuel dilution".

Old 10-27-2014, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
Black soot is completely normal ALL D/I engines do it, its not just a Eb problem.. You may even see black smoke for a few seconds on a cold start.

As far as the oil i wouldnt worry about it.. When are you planning to change the oil? I would recommend 1000 to 1500 miles since its a new truck.
Thanks for the reply (and the others who replied too). I was thinking I would do the first change around 1500-2000, because I might be taking a kit car via an enclosed trailer somewhere in the next few weeks, and that will probably be about an 800 mile trip. I was going to change after that. Maybe it would be better to do before though..

Old 10-27-2014, 12:50 AM
Originally Posted by lj17
Thanks for the reply (and the others who replied too). I was thinking I would do the first change around 1500-2000, because I might be taking a kit car via an enclosed trailer somewhere in the next few weeks, and that will probably be about an 800 mile trip. I was going to change after that. Maybe it would be better to do before though..
I would do it before, get all the break in materials out before hooking on the trailer.

These Eb's tow awesome!

Oh and the post about fuel dilution could very well be why the oil is a little above the fill mark.. Does the oil smell like fuel? If not then i bet it was just over filled from the factory. Some eb owners seem to have a problem with the fuel dilution and others not.. I have 41k on mine and after about 6k miles i can faintly smell fuel but its never enough to where it shows over full.. I always change the oil around the 5k mark, that way i dont have to worry abou it

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 10-27-2014 at 12:52 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
I would do it before, get all the break in materials out before hooking on the trailer.

These Eb's tow awesome!

Oh and the post about fuel dilution could very well be why the oil is a little above the fill mark.. Does the oil smell like fuel? If not then i bet it was just over filled from the factory. Some eb owners seem to have a problem with the fuel dilution and others not.. I have 41k on mine and after about 6k miles i can faintly smell fuel but its never enough to where it shows over full.. I always change the oil around the 5k mark, that way i dont have to worry abou it

I didn't notice any fuel smell. The more I think about it, I think I will just change it in the next couple days. Rather than just crawling under to drain a little out, I will just change it while I am under there. And that way it will have fresh oil for the little trip I will be taking in the next few weeks.

I also always change oil around 5K (sometimes closer to 6). I always used Motorcraft filters on the last truck and always ran Mobile 1 in my vehicles. I did use Motorcraft oil in my last truck for the last couple changes though, since it was a little cheaper. I think I will just get Motorcraft filter/oil, at least for this first change, then maybe switch to Mobil 1. Although I may just continue to run Motorcraft, it is a little cheaper and it is supposed to be what Ford designs their engines to run with, so I don't think you can really go wrong with it.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:58 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
The best oil for the $$$ for an Ecoboost is Motorcraft 5w30 semi-synthetic, changed at least every 5k.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:52 PM
I actually went out tonight to get some oil and a filter. I tried Walmart, but they only had 5W20 in the 5 quart jugs, which is what I bought before for my old 5.4L. I then tried Advance Auto and they didn't have 5W30 in 5 quart jugs either, just individual quarts. I checked O'Reilly's on my phone while I was there and it looks like they only had 5W30 in quarts as well. I ended up buying individual quarts at Advance Auto. Does anyone know of someplace that stocks Motorcraft 5W30 in 5 quart jugs? Other than ordering it on Amazon of something?

From the additional reading I've done about the fuel dilution, I think I will definitely stay with 5K oil change intervals, maybe even 4500 - 5000.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by lj17
I actually went out tonight to get some oil and a filter. I tried Walmart, but they only had 5W20 in the 5 quart jugs, which is what I bought before for my old 5.4L. I then tried Advance Auto and they didn't have 5W30 in 5 quart jugs either, just individual quarts. I checked O'Reilly's on my phone while I was there and it looks like they only had 5W30 in quarts as well. I ended up buying individual quarts at Advance Auto. Does anyone know of someplace that stocks Motorcraft 5W30 in 5 quart jugs? Other than ordering it on Amazon of something?

From the additional reading I've done about the fuel dilution, I think I will definitely stay with 5K oil change intervals, maybe even 4500 - 5000.
The walmart here has the 5w20 and the 5w30 5 quart jugs.. They are the only place i have seen that sells the MC oil in the 5 quart jugs

Old 10-27-2014, 09:43 PM
Hmmm. I looked for an empty spot for 5W30 jugs at Walmart but it doesn't look like that one ever stocks it. This is just outside Minneapolis, MN. The Advance Auto had 5W20 in jugs. I guess I'll keep checking around. I really don't want to have to buy it by the quart the next time around.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:52 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Amazon.com: Genuine Ford Fluid XO-5W30-5QSP SAE 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil - 5 Quart Jug: Automotive Amazon.com: Genuine Ford Fluid XO-5W30-5QSP SAE 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil - 5 Quart Jug: Automotive

Genuine Ford Fluid XO-5W30-5QSP SAE 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil - 5 Quart Jug
by Ford
1 customer review Price: $28.44 & FREE Shipping

In Stock.
Sold by Capital Parts.

Quick Reply: 3.5 Ecoboost Oil Overfilled from the FACTORY?