Considering EcoBoost to replace 2005 that was crushed by a tree

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 11:52 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering EcoBoost to replace 2005 that was crushed by a tree

Are the intercooler problems fixed (or mostly fixed) in the 2013 model year? After reading the issues, I'm considering jumping ship and taking a look at the 2014 GMC 1500.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't jump ship...I would go drive both the ecoboost and the 5.0 and see what you think. Either way it's a good choice.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by vtron
Are the intercooler problems fixed (or mostly fixed) in the 2013 model year? After reading the issues, I'm considering jumping ship and taking a look at the 2014 GMC 1500.
They are mostly fixed, even though you will hear different, especially from the non eco owners.. Go drive the GMC then drive the F150.. Have a feeling you wont be jumping ship

Old 12-10-2013, 12:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Plus who would want square wheel well's on a truck?

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 12-10-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
Plus who would want's a square wheel well truck?
Square wheel?

edit: stupid reading comprehension. Never mind.

Last edited by vtron; 12-10-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
They are mostly fixed, even though you will hear different, especially from the non eco owners.. Go drive the GMC then drive the F150.. Have a feeling you wont be jumping ship

Plus who would want's a square wheel well truck?
This pretty much nailed it. Most of the bad things about the EB are spread around by people that do not own one (and some that have not so much as driven one). These people for some crazy reason feel it's their God given duty to run around spreading as much misinformation and hysteria as possible. The problem has been greatly exaggerated and blown out of proportion. My truck is a very early production 2011 and has only done it one time. I had been driving the truck like Miss Daisy and a bunch of mean nuns were in the truck with me for a few days to see what kind of mileage I could squeeze out of it. It had been rainy and foggy with the humidity holding in the high 90% range for the entire time. I was getting on the freeway and was tired of going slow so I jammed the skinny pedal as far to the floor as it would go. This sudden burst of WOT caused the intercooler issue to show up. I have never been able to duplicate the issue and I have tried several times. Personally, I really like the EB and would buy another one in a New York minute. I drove two 5.0 trucks and two EB trucks before making my decision. I would recommend to go drive two that are very close to what you want and see which one you like the most. For me the low end torque of the EB was the deciding factor. The 5.0 is a screamer once it gets wound up but to me it felt sluggish on the bottom end.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:37 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
best thing for you to do is go out and test drive them yourself....imo

BTW...the new ones can still get crushed by trees also....lol

Old 12-10-2013, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Wookie
This pretty much nailed it. Most of the bad things about the EB are spread around by people that do not own one (and some that have not so much as driven one). These people for some crazy reason feel it's their God given duty to run around spreading as much misinformation and hysteria as possible. The problem has been greatly exaggerated and blown out of proportion. My truck is a very early production 2011 and has only done it one time. I had been driving the truck like Miss Daisy and a bunch of mean nuns were in the truck with me for a few days to see what kind of mileage I could squeeze out of it. It had been rainy and foggy with the humidity holding in the high 90% range for the entire time. I was getting on the freeway and was tired of going slow so I jammed the skinny pedal as far to the floor as it would go. This sudden burst of WOT caused the intercooler issue to show up. I have never been able to duplicate the issue and I have tried several times. Personally, I really like the EB and would buy another one in a New York minute. I drove two 5.0 trucks and two EB trucks before making my decision. I would recommend to go drive two that are very close to what you want and see which one you like the most. For me the low end torque of the EB was the deciding factor. The 5.0 is a screamer once it gets wound up but to me it felt sluggish on the bottom end.
I understand that most people won't experience the issue, but there is a known problem with the intercooler sucking up water. I just want to know if there's been a design change in the 2013 that remedies that problem. At the very least, I want to know that the TSB has been incorporated in the 2013s.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by 88racing
best thing for you to do is go out and test drive them yourself....imo

BTW...the new ones can still get crushed by trees also....lol
I'm planning on driving them, but I want to know that Ford has done something to solve a known problem. A test drive won't tell me that.

And the new ones can still be crushed by trees, but fortunately not in my driveway anymore. When I say crushed by a tree, I mean the whole (giant oak) tree.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:54 PM
I understand that most people won't experience the issue, but there is a known problem with the intercooler sucking up water. I just want to know if there's been a design change in the 2013 that remedies that problem. At the very least, I want to know that the TSB has been incorporated in the 2013s.
To clarify, I understand the issue and what causes the problem. I used my truck as an example of how it has been blown out of proportion. Most of the problems were on 2011 and early 2012 models and with people who live in humid climates. I meet both of these requirements and still have only had the problem one time and even when I tried to make it happen again I can't do it. This is on a truck that still has the original style intercooler. It might me my driving style keeps just enough airflow through the intercooler to prevent the condensation buildup.

There have been a few design improvements to the intercooler to stop the condensation issue. From reading about them on here the retrofits have been mostly successful and most owners are pleased. Offhand I can't remember a person with a 2013 having the issue so it seems like the issue has been resolved.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:47 PM

I'm planning on driving them, but I want to know that Ford has done something to solve a known problem. A test drive won't tell me that.

And the new ones can still be crushed by trees, but fortunately not in my driveway anymore. When I say crushed by a tree, I mean the whole (giant oak) tree.
Seems that Ford fixed the intercooler with the latest update which should have been applied to the 13's....

just messing around on the tree thing...my bad...

Old 12-10-2013, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by 88racing
just messing around on the tree thing...my bad...
No worries, I know you were joking.

Once I get power back (of course the tree had to knock out my service entry line too) I'll upload some pictures. It was an impressive tree.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:21 PM

No worries, I know you were joking.

Once I get power back (of course the tree had to knock out my service entry line too) I'll upload some pictures. It was an impressive tree.
too bad about the mishap....looking forward to the pics

Old 12-10-2013, 04:37 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by jaws12
I wouldn't jump ship...I would go drive both the ecoboost and the 5.0 and see what you think. Either way it's a good choice.
if you use it as a car and won't modifiy it, then the ecojoke MIGHT work

I'd rather have the 5.0 anyday

Old 12-10-2013, 04:54 PM

We almost got through the first page before the haters showed up...

Quick Reply: Considering EcoBoost to replace 2005 that was crushed by a tree