Considering EcoBoost to replace 2005 that was crushed by a tree

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 11:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^Get an extended warranty, make it part of the deal. ^^^^^^^
The EB is an incredible engine...............

Old 12-14-2013, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended warranties are only available to make money for the people that sell them. Can give you piece of mind, sure, but they wouldn't be available if people weren't mkaing money on them

Old 12-14-2013, 09:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'd go ecoboost if I were looking. The engine itself is just as reliable as the 5.0, its all the stuff that makes it work that causes worries. Technology is changing and more times than not its for the better.

If an extended warranty is a consideration make sure its from ford not some warranty company. One that would lengthen the factory warranty would be ok

Old 12-14-2013, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
Extended warranties are only available to make money for the people that sell them. Can give you piece of mind, sure, but they wouldn't be available if people weren't mkaing money on them
That statement is complete nonsense....................

"wouldn't be available if people weren't making money on them" How about food and water? Or anything else that is paid for? Did you cancel your car or health insurance?
The savvy buyer will make it part of the deal........

Old 12-14-2013, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by worm5932
I'd go ecoboost if I were looking. The engine itself is just as reliable as the 5.0, its all the stuff that makes it work that causes worries. Technology is changing and more times than not its for the better.

If an extended warranty is a consideration make sure its from ford not some warranty company. One that would lengthen the factory warranty would be ok
The EB will be that engine that likes to be ridden hard and put away wet. Like the 6.0 diesel, those were the ones that stayed together for 250,000 miles.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:38 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
that's rich coming from two of the biggest bronw nosing marketing campaign beleivers on the planet

when either of you come back to reality then we'll talk, until then I'll continue to provide honest real world feed back on the ecojoke and probably the best advertising campaign Ford has conducted to date

Old 12-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tarajerame
I'll continue to provide honest real world feed back on the ecojoke and probably the best advertising campaign Ford has conducted to date
And how can you provide this? Do you own one? Are you a ford tech? Have you even drove one?

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 12-14-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:13 PM
[QUOTE=KingRanchCoy;5044502]And how can you provide this? Do you own one?

No, he does not, he has a 12 year old truck and is stuck in a time warp.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OP as you can tell there are some folks who just despise the idea a V6 can make good power and be a viable option in a full size truck. They have made it their life's goal to derail the EB. Based on the number EB sales they really need to step up their game.

The EB is a little bit different than previous Ford offerings but as far as the auto industry goes it's not that far out there. The DI fuel management system is Bosch which has been used on VW/Audi/Porsche for about 10 years. The bugs have been worked out of the design. The turbos are Borg Warner K03s which are one of the most common OEM turbos made. There are millions of them in use all over the world by some of the biggest names in the auto industry. If you pop the covers off an EB you will be surprised at how little wiring there actually is.

If you look in the 2009-2014 section you will find a few stories of 5.0Ls losing compression and dropping the cylinder. There's a few 6.2Ls that have dropped valves too. Anything made in the volume Ford trucks are will have a few bad eggs slip through it's just the nature of manufacturing. Go look at your dealership's service center parking lot and see what the employees drive. At the dealership I bought my truck from there was 3 service writers there when I went in. One guy owned an EB, one guy was about to buy one and the other guy had just bought his wife a car so he couldn't afford one but really wanted to buy one. I had already bought my truck and was there to ask about warranty issues if I added a tuner so they weren't trying to sell me anything. If the guys who write the repair tickets on the trucks are buying them how bad can they really be?

Old 12-14-2013, 05:49 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
If the guys who write the repair tickets on the trucks are buying them how bad can they really be?
Well, the service writer I deal with here owns a F-250 with a 6.0, so I don't know how much that means.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:28 PM
My truck was built in June 2013, has not had any issues with condensation. I think there are still spark plug gapping issues, but it's one of the easiest engines to work on as far as plugs.

Unless your picking up the new GM 6.2L.... I'd stick with either a 6.2L Ford or EB. Unless you just want a 5.slow

This is my truck hauling my 2014 Wildcat 282rkx, 9300lbs.

Last edited by prime81; 12-14-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Well, the service writer I deal with here owns a F-250 with a 6.0, so I don't know how much that means.
Touche'

Originally Posted by prime81
My truck was built in June 2013, has not had any issues with condensation. I think there are still spark plug gapping issues, but it's one of the easiest engines to work on as far as plugs.
This is true, changing the plugs takes a 5/8 Plug socket and a 8mm socket. I bought new plugs from the dealership for $40 and they were correctly gaped. I took my time and had the job done in less than 45 minutes. This included refilling and emptying my coffee cup a few times, answering a few texts and e-mails etc. If I would have wanted to it could be done in 20 minutes very easily. Having dealt with the spark plug issues on the 3V 5.4s this was a nice change.

Also, the 2013s and up get slightly larger turbos (48mm vs 51mm).

Old 12-14-2013, 10:19 PM
I truly can't understand why people believe that the Ecoboost is something crazy and new. Turbos have been around forever and Ford is just starting to touch the HP to Displacement ratio of European vehicles. I understand that none of those vehicles are trucks, but as Wookie points out, there isn't much new about the ecoboost in hard parts.

My little Edge has a NA 3.5L and makes 285hp and 253ft-lbs of torque. Same displacement with twin turbo's can make many more ponies in a reliable fashion.

Also the idea that you should look at the 5.0 vs. the Ecoboost because of how many sensors there are is a load of ****. The "two" more sensors on the Ecoboost aren't really going to be a factor in reliability.

With 2 million Ecoboost motors out there, I am sure there are going to be some that have had issues, just like anything else. But since it's "different", it is on everyone's radar looking for something to be wrong. I think there will be more of the same from other manufacturers.

OP, you should test drive them as stated by others and you will know what you want. I have good friends where one has the Eco and one has the 5.0, they are both happy and have had no issues in the three years they have owned them. I gotta say though, I've been in the spanky new GM and they did put together a nice package.

I know when I am done with my 6.0, I will be looking at an Ecoboost. The only thing that would really pull me away is a diesel in a ford 1/2 ton.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:37 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Blown F-150
I truly can't understand why people believe that the Ecoboost is something crazy and new. Turbos have been around forever and Ford is just starting to touch the HP to Displacement ratio of European vehicles. I understand that none of those vehicles are trucks, but as Wookie points out, there isn't much new about the ecoboost in hard parts.

My little Edge has a NA 3.5L and makes 285hp and 253ft-lbs of torque. Same displacement with twin turbo's can make many more ponies in a reliable fashion.

Also the idea that you should look at the 5.0 vs. the Ecoboost because of how many sensors there are is a load of ****. The "two" more sensors on the Ecoboost aren't really going to be a factor in reliability.

With 2 million Ecoboost motors out there, I am sure there are going to be some that have had issues, just like anything else. But since it's "different", it is on everyone's radar looking for something to be wrong. I think there will be more of the same from other manufacturers.

OP, you should test drive them as stated by others and you will know what you want. I have good friends where one has the Eco and one has the 5.0, they are both happy and have had no issues in the three years they have owned them. I gotta say though, I've been in the spanky new GM and they did put together a nice package.

I know when I am done with my 6.0, I will be looking at an Ecoboost. The only thing that would really pull me away is a diesel in a ford 1/2 ton.

I agree with you on one thing, there is nothing new about turbos. They have been tried, tested and rejected in cycles since the 70's. In my opinion and it seems very reasonable, turbos have not kept the promise of saving gas and that seems to be the case with the eco-sputter as well. People tend to over-react to my opinion and pointing out that history is being repeated. I know why they over-react too. It's because it is true!

Old 12-14-2013, 11:43 PM
C'MON Blown, that boost sensor is a uber complex piece! I mean look at it, that pressure transducer has to measure something crazy like 15-20 PSI. Sure the oil pressure sensor has to measure three times the pressure in a vat of hot oil and how many of them have we heard failing. But that's different because it doesn't have to deal with one of those new fangled turbo thingies.

Quick Reply: Considering EcoBoost to replace 2005 that was crushed by a tree