Guess it's time for a new truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 01:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Guess it's time for a new truck

2008 4.2 with 70k miles and two seeping head gaskets. I want to get a new F150 but I've had every issue imaginable and have some thinking to do.

Sucks, I really like this truck.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:41 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I can appreciate your sit........with any new series drivetrain, chassis, etc, IMHO, it is best to wait until the 3rd year to purchase, by then they have all the issues corrected....and they have some on the new gen F150.....specific with the ecoboost. Yes it has been used for a decade+ in other apps (Lincoln) but this is a whole different chassis and end user.......and it shows to the point the feds are now "involved" because of the number of owner complaints and non-or delayed resolution. GM & Dodge/Ram are really not any better at this point and I won't begin to go into the imports (as their problems make "Detroit's" issues look like nothing). The 5.0 is a good engine but again, very new to the real world.....the new tranny's (6 speed and upcoming 8 speed)....while all mfg by the same company, I really have a question in regards to reliability.....in old school thoughts, for evey downshift an auto takes, you loose one upshift.....IOW, I can appreciate the engineers deciding the CV trannys are not up to handling the demands of the V8's (or similar power) and keeping the engine at the lowest rpm gets the best mileage, but with the tranny constantly shifting in Socal typical traffic, I personally have a concern about how long these trannys are going to survive....the 6 speeds...ok, basically 1 additional gear thrown in with e-lockout while operating in city or tow conditions.....but when they (like GM/RAM) change to the 8 speed....there will be issues that will not raise their heads up until they hit the 3-5 year mark....

There are new issues raising up with the hoods and similar aluminum panels....(not just with the trucks), specific to the panel crimping, sealer, iron oxide contamination and ultimately oxidation/paint delamination....
IMHO, with such low miles on your truck, taking into consideration resale etc, IMNO, it would be money ahead to get a reman engine and drive for another 2-3 years, then buy a new truck when they really have it all right.

Last edited by beechkid; 09-09-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:02 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Did you mean 4.6?

Last edited by Bluejay; 09-09-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think a used or new (depending on budget) 3.7L would be right up your alley. The motor has been out since 2007 in the Edge, Fusion, Taurus and Mazda line of vehicles.. It's part of the Duratech family and bullet proof.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:38 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
No manual tranny though.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the replies. Beechkid, not sure what you're talking about with a new engine. Mine just needs gaskets and may or may not have to have the heads machined. I haven't lost a drop of coolant. The engine runs fine (just drove 150 miles today). I feel putting a new engine in is a waste of money when this one can be fixed for much less.

Either way, I've had issue after issue with this truck and just want to move on. I'm not sure what my plan in yet. But I need to get my truck fixed because I'm not going to try and sell it the way it is.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:11 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Who told you the headgaskets were seeping? Honestly I wouldn't even consider doing heads off if it isn't leaking oil or coolant on the ground, or overheating etc

Old 09-09-2013, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
Who told you the headgaskets were seeping? Honestly I wouldn't even consider doing heads off if it isn't leaking oil or coolant on the ground, or overheating etc
Ford dealer told me. I've gone to them for years and trust them. It's dripping on the exhaust and you can hear it sizzle every time you close the door.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:18 PM

And it's not leaking coolant, just seeping oil.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:41 PM

I have another question about this:

I'm not losing a drop of coolant, coolant and oil are not mixing nor am I burning oil. Oil is only seeping outside and dripping down the engine. Very slowly, as I don't lose more than 1/4 a quart between 3k changes.

I always figured if the head gasket is leaking I'd be losing coolant or the oil and coolant would be mixing?

What kind of a leak am I looking at?

I'm going to get this fixed whether I keep the truck for another year or sell soon. The truck is just in too good of condition to let this slide even if it is minor. The engine runs perfectly.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:37 PM
If it was me, I would clean the side of the engine off and get rid of all the dirt and grime that has accumulated. Once this is done keep a close watch on where to oil shows up first. Your leak will somewhere above this point. It might only be a valve cover gasket that is leaking and running down the head/block.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wookie
It might only be a valve cover gasket that is leaking and running down the head/block.
x2.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:03 PM

Thanks guys.

I feel confident it's definitely leaking from both head gaskets as they put dye in the oil and I've had it checked by a ford dealer and also had someone else take a look for a second opinion.

The ford dealer quoted me at $1529.00 for the lob. That include all the gaskets and seals including valve cover. Also includes oil, coolant and machining the heads if needed and it's 11 hours in labor. Going to have it fixed ASAP no matter what I plan to do with the truck.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:27 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
If it's leaking less than 1/4 quart in 3k miles, I'd just clean it up periodically and keep an eye on it. I sure wouldn't spend the 1500 bucks at this time. You are too fussy!

Old 09-10-2013, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by glc
If it's leaking less than 1/4 quart in 3k miles, I'd just clean it up periodically and keep an eye on it. I sure wouldn't spend the 1500 bucks at this time. You are too fussy!
This times eleventy billion!. A 1/4 quart or less in 3,000 miles is inside the allowable useable amount. Figure in the part that is burned through the combustion chamber and the leak isn't really worth fooling with. A bottle of degreaser every once in a while is way better than throwing $1500 at a small leak.

Quick Reply: Guess it's time for a new truck