Fumoto oil change valve

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fumoto oil change valve

Has anyone asked the dealer when they perform the free first oil change to install a custumer provided fumoto valve?

If you did, did they charge extra, complain, or mention warranty issues etc or

Old 03-16-2013, 10:57 AM
I haven't personally asked the dealer to, as I try to avoid the dealer at all costs. However, I really cannot see a reason why they wouldn't install that for you. And there is no way they would charge for it. It just screws in like the bolt they took out to drain the oil.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:02 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Harley Rider
Has anyone asked the dealer when they perform the free first oil change to install a custumer provided fumoto valve?

If you did, did they charge extra, complain, or mention warranty issues etc or
No way....IMHO you can keep those things (including the speed bleeders) in the package where they came from! Seen them in the 60's...same design & all it takes is 1 ooops to really srew up an engine !

Old 03-17-2013, 05:04 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by beechkid
No way....IMHO you can keep those things (including the speed bleeders) in the package where they came from! Seen them in the 60's...same design & all it takes is 1 ooops to really srew up an engine !
Yeah, I am not a big fan of those Fumoto valves. They leak, and sometimes open when driving.

I've been doing oil changes since I was a kid and never, ever, ever screwed up an oil pan -- unless it was already screwed up, and by then I would repair it and re-tap it (or that's the reason why I they wanted me to fix their car). Just take your time when putting that bolt back in. It ain't rocket science.

As for the speed bleeders. I'm impartial on them, because they work just like a regular bleeder valve, but with a ball bearing and spring. But it does make bleeding brakes a hell of a lot easier.

May I ask why are you having the dealer put it on? Why don't you just wait until you change the oil yourself? What's one more screw and unscrew on that oil pan?

Old 03-17-2013, 05:47 PM
I have had them on the last 4 vehicles and never had a problem with them. Makes changing the oil a heck of a lot easier.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by boomer08
I have had them on the last 4 vehicles and never had a problem with them. Makes changing the oil a heck of a lot easier.
Ditto - not a good idea for offroading obviously, but unless you run over curbs, huge speedbumps or stop signs there's not much to worry about. Got one on my Miata and it's been no problem... gonna get one for my onefiddy.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:45 PM
Just ordered one!

Had one on my 03 and loved it. Never had a issue with it at all. Would drain the oil straight into my 5 gallon bucket! No need for a drain pan and zero mess!!

Wayne

Old 03-17-2013, 09:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have had them on plenty of vehicles, never a problem. Drain the oil hot and it works very well.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are concerned about it opening up this can be done: http://www.fumotousa.com/faq.htm I have one on both my vehicles for years..works great !!

Old 03-20-2013, 08:38 AM
Free oil change

Originally Posted by ManualF150
Yeah, I am not a big fan of those Fumoto valves. They leak, and sometimes open when driving.

.....May I ask why are you having the dealer put it on? Why don't you just wait until you change the oil yourself? What's one more screw and unscrew on that oil pan?
I usually change my own oil, but I have found that the factory installed oil filter is a bear to remove the first time. I also have a free oil change from the dealer that is hard to ignore and puts me into their system.

I also figured that if they put the fumoto valve on, it would be much easier for me who has to lay on the garage floor when I do it. I had to use a piece of sheet metal with my last truck wedged under the drain plug or the oil dripped onto the skid plate and then dripped out a drain hole later and onto the garage floor. Once I did the first one, I then figured out how to keep that from happening on subsequent changes.

On my Ecoboost, since I have not yet had the oil changed, the valve removes all the unknowns that I would certainly learn as I do it for the first time.

For example, from reading here, I understand that I need to slightly loosen the oil filter so it drips slowly down into some collector and channels it into the oil drain pan. Since it is still too cold to go looking under the truck, I am looking for lessons learned so as to not reinvent the wheel.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:56 AM
I have had one installed for over two years and works great! You just flip the valve with your fingers and it drains smoothly. I liked it so much I put on on my wife´s car as well.
I buy them straight from the fumoto valve store, i think these are the original ones. plus they have a very good size chart and you can select the valve that matches your car model.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:45 AM
long or short nipple

Originally Posted by jackhill
I have had one installed for over two years and works great! You just flip the valve with your fingers and it drains smoothly. I liked it so much I put on on my wife´s car as well.
I buy them straight from the fumoto valve store, i think these are the original ones. plus they have a very good size chart and you can select the valve that matches your car model.
did you get the one with the long or short nipple?

Quick Reply: Fumoto oil change valve