AC Belt fell off (ecoboost), safe to drive?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 08:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC Belt fell off (ecoboost), safe to drive?

My AC belt fell off, I was wondering it is safe to drive, it looks a little sketchy.
AC Belt fell off (ecoboost), safe to drive?-wvrsxl.jpg

Old 01-12-2013, 08:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You only have one belt, it runs the alt, and water pump, and power steering. So I'd say NO.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes if that belt is for everything you've got issues then.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How many miles are on the truck? It uses a standard multi-rib belt like every Ford. Why not just put it back on and drive the the closest parts store and get a new belt? It takes one tool to do and less time than making a new thread.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:14 AM
Originally Posted by Wookie
How many miles are on the truck? It uses a standard multi-rib belt like every Ford. Why not just put it back on and drive the the closest parts store and get a new belt? It takes one tool to do and less time than making a new thread.
Only 14k... It's pretty torn up, if it's only for the AC I'm going to just drive it to the dealer but idk what all that belt is for.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Belt is gonna run the water pump and alternator as well, so ur looking at overheating and a dead battery if you run it. I would suspect the battery goes first with the EPAS system on these trucks.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:58 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by supremeMilo
Only 14k... It's pretty torn up, if it's only for the AC I'm going to just drive it to the dealer but idk what all that belt is for.
As others have said, the belt runs all the accessories your truck won't run long or be happy without it. If there's only 14k on it the dealership might spot you one or at least have them check the tensioner. It might have been a bad belt, put on wrong at the factory or the tensioner is no good.

There should be a square hole on the front of the tensioner where you can stick the head of a ratchet and relieve the tension on the belt. Pull the belt off and cut off any loose strings etc. There is a picture on the radiator support that shows the belt routing. Follow this starting at the crank pulley and put the old belt back on to get you to a parts store or dealership.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:04 PM
Since the early 90's just about every car on the road has come equipped with a Serpentine Belt. There is no dedicated belt just for the AC compressor on your truck. The Alternator and Water pump also drive from that belt. The engine will start and run, but I wouldn't try making it to the dealer on it like that. Your battery will probably die before you get very far given your truck's power steering is electric and will eat a fair amount of electricity.

Originally Posted by jgger
You only have one belt, it runs the alt, and water pump, and power steering. So I'd say NO.
Only the 6.2L has a Power Steering pump. All the other powertrains have electric assist.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:04 PM
Hey Guys,

The eco boost uses a seperate belt for ac and one for everything else, so the he can run the vehicle without it(just no ac). My only concern is that the belt will get wrapped up in the other belt and cause it to come off too, or damage something. If it was mine I would cut out the ac belt and drive it to the dealer.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:25 AM
Color me stupid, you're right. There's a separate belt for the AC compressor, it's difficult to tell with all the Intake tubing in the way. If you get the tossed belt cleaned up you should be ok to drive it as long as you need to until you can replace it. I guess Ford had to do it that way since there's not a good spot to put an extra idler pulley on the front cover.

Quick Reply: AC Belt fell off (ecoboost), safe to drive?