How to tell if you have a torque converter or transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 12:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to tell if you have a torque converter or transmission problem

Hey there guys, I recently swapped in a 4r70W out of an 03 F-150 from the junkyard into my 95 F-150 5.0L and when driving on the interstate around 60-65 RPM I noticed that the truck is kind of shuddering. It seems kind of intermittent like it doesn't always happen so today when it started doing it I put the pedal to the floor and could hear the RPM's revving but the MPH was stuck at 65MPH so I know something is slipping. IS there a good way to tell if its a torque converter slipping or if its the clutches and steels in the transmission itself slipping? Thanks guys

Old 11-21-2014, 10:46 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
The best way to tell is to pull the transmission dipstick. If the fluid is brown or black, and has a burnt smell, something is slipping in the transmission. It really doesn't matter if it is the torque converter or the transmission, they both would need to be replaced.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess my plan is to get a new torque converter and put that in and see if that fixes the issue, if it doesn't fix the issue I'll make the plunge and start trying to rebuild the trans that I originally took off the truck. Would it be bad if its an issue with the trans to put a new torque converter in? Could it possibly break the new TQ Converter??

Old 11-22-2014, 09:21 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
If you install a new converter in a transmission that has a problem, you aren't likely to "break" it as such. What's going to happen is that, depending on the failure, you might contaminate the clutch in the new converter or get metal in there that isn't supposed to be. That means either replacing the converter again or having someone cut it open and clean it up.

D

Quick Reply: How to tell if you have a torque converter or transmission problem