04 4r70w think it died

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 05:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 4r70w think it died

I left the house this morning to go to work, my truck would hardly pull its self out of the driveway. got it on the road had to rev it up high before the transmission took hold and i could actualy pickl up speed it seems like 1,and 2 gears are not there third and o/d seem to work fine when i got to work it wouldnt pull its self in 1 or 2nd at all. when the truck is idling it is pulled down to 400 rpms. Also i got a transmission fault when it all happened. has anybody had this happen i have read alot on people loosing the upper gears but didnt see much on the lower gears

Old 03-16-2014, 08:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Take it to a transmission shop and have the codes read, that should point you in some direction as to what the issue is.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:03 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jhartley
I left the house this morning to go to work, my truck would hardly pull its self out of the driveway. got it on the road had to rev it up high before the transmission took hold and i could actualy pickl up speed it seems like 1,and 2 gears are not there third and o/d seem to work fine when i got to work it wouldnt pull its self in 1 or 2nd at all. when the truck is idling it is pulled down to 400 rpms. Also i got a transmission fault when it all happened. has anybody had this happen i have read alot on people loosing the upper gears but didnt see much on the lower gears

Wellsir, what did you expect was going to happen doing this (caption on yer sole album pic): "pulling 2 tons of rubber mulch total gvw was 14,000" ?

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...+f150+stx.html

Approx 2,000lbs over yer truck's GCVWR (manual states 11,500-12,200 depending on gearing, WB, and cab fer a 4.6L), larger running gear, lifted .... lol.

That poor abused tranny. Has it ever been serviced? If so what was done, and how often?

Good luck _ I hope the repair bill is reasonable.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 03-16-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:15 AM
lol I knew it wasnt going to last for ever it has 103,000. I kept the tranny serviced changed filter replaced tranny fluid with amsoil, at 50,000, edge programer that i kept watch on the tranny temps never let it get over 170 degrees I will admit I have used the truck, not every day but the 6 times i have its been at its limit, (my next truck is going to be atleast a 3/4 ton) I posted this to see if anybody else has had 1 and 2 gear go out all of a sudden. I have had my wifes car tranny go out but it started slipping. this morning it just let go

Last edited by jhartley; 03-16-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:00 PM
Sent my truck out on a rollback to the transmission shop, Quoted $1400 for removal rebuild and install. The owner said as long as the Plannitary gears didnt break I should be in good shape. He said he sees alot of 4r70W with the plannitary gear sets distroyed has anybody else had that problem

Old 03-24-2014, 07:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 89 firebird did that in first gear...i needed a rebuild. But it was never explained to me what was wrong with it.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:25 PM
Just called the shop they were putting my tranny back in. They said that every clutch was burnt and they think the pressure solenoid was weak and let it slip. They installed a shift kit new torque converter and rebuilt the transmission for 1495 plus tax

Old 03-24-2014, 04:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just called the shop they were putting my tranny back in. They said that every clutch was burnt and they think the pressure solenoid was weak and let it slip. They installed a shift kit new torque converter and rebuilt the transmission for 1495 plus tax
I just had the transmission rebuilt on my '05 @ 105k miles. Just under $1800 for a rebuild with a 12 month warranty. Forward drum was toast as well as the O/D band. Nice price you got.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:28 PM
they have a 12 month warranty then as long as i own the truck they will cover labor if somthing goes wrong

Quick Reply: 04 4r70w think it died