Servicing your Transmission Pan and Filter 4R70E and 4R75E (2004-2008 5.4L 3v)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Servicing your Transmission Pan and Filter 4R70E and 4R75E (2004-2008 5.4L 3v)

I just did mine yesterday, pretty easy job. (this may apply to the 4.6L too)
My truck just had the fluid completely flushed at 30K but that service didn't include dropping the pan and replacing the filter. I'm at 31K now and I did the filter my self instead of paying them for it. The transmission and torque converter holds a total of 13.9 qts, by doing this service you change close to half of it. This should take no more than an hour to do.

Tools needed

For safety you need at least a pair of safety glasses and maybe some gloves. You will need 6quarts of fluid Mercon V and a filter, I bought 7 just in case. Tools, You need a Ratchet and a 10mm socket along with a couple extensions to make it easier to get to the bolts between the pan and the cross member. As you can see I also had a torque wrench but I ended up not using it. Ford recommends the bolts to be torqued to 14Nm 10(lb-ft). You also need a Transmission funnel and a pan (sorry no picture, pan needs to be BIG and wide). I used a 15qt pan.

Lets get to work.

Start with loosening the bolts in the pan at one end and slowly work it to the other end so the fluid will drain out the end where you started ( having the pan under it to catch the fluid). 1,-- 2, -- 3. I ended up getting to the point that I had all but two bolts out before I dropped the pan. The two that I removed last were between the pan and the cross member. I kept loosening them to get more angle on the pan to get the most fluid out of it as I could before I dropped it. In order to do that I had to hold the pan up to loosen the bolts, the angle the pan was in gave no access to the bolts.
When the fluid stops it's time to drop it. Now with both hands grab the filter and wiggle it down until it is out. I went ahead and wiped the under side off the valve body some. This ring needs to come out if it doesn't come out with the filter remove it. VVVV
CAUTION: Carefully use a small screwdriver to remove the seal. Use care not to damage the main control bore.
I used a small screwdriver and positioned it above the ring working it down slowly using caution not to let it touch the bore. DO NOT try and stick and object between it and the bore or you will scar the bore.
Here is how the pan looked after I removed it. Mystery part I have read other threads talking about it but I don't remember why it comes in the pans from the factory. This is not needed to be reinstalled.
Originally Posted by i.ride.suzuki
Used when installing the trannys, it plugs it, untill the dipstick tube is installed.

Last edited by whitecrystal1; 10-20-2007 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:42 PM
Continued

Close up of the magnet before cleaning and after cleaning. Here's the pan all cleaned up.
The pan gasket is reusable if it hasn't been serviced and replaced with an aftermarket gasket. Gasket wiped clean, magnet reinstalled and ready to go. Here is the new and old filters to give you a better idea of how dirty it was , you can see the spot I wiped clean on the old filter. Here is one of a few dirty rags.

Time to reinstall the new filter. I applied some fluid on the seal on the new filter. I don't know if it was necessary but I figured it was a good idea. Install the filter opposite the way it was removed until it's all the way in the hole. Bolt the pan back on.

Now get under the hood and locate the transmission dip stick. Pull the dip stick out and insert the funnel and add 5qts of fluid. At this point you need to get the tranny up to operating temperature (150-170 degs) to get an accurate reading and be able to top it off. At operation temp move the gear shifter through all the gears checking for gear engagements. The engine needs to be running when checking the fluid level, if it's still low at this point add fluid in .5 pint (1/2 pint) increments until full in the cross hatch. I actually took my truck for a ride around the block a couple times between checking the level and getting it to full. My truck took 6qts to fill it back up.

For everyones info, Ford says the filter doesn't need changed under normal and or sever duty services.
This is what it says in the Factory Service Manual
Draining the fluid from the transmission pan by removing only the fluid is acceptable for normal or sever duty fluid maintenance.
on step four it says
Do not remove the fluid filter. It is not necessary to change the fluid filter during a normal maintenance fluid change.
Here's the only time Ford recommends a new filter
If transmission is being repaired for a contamination-related failure, use a new filter and seal. The filter may be reused if no excessive contamination is present.
Anytime I drop mine I'm putting in a new filter even if it's not needed per Ford. I am going to do this service every 15K along with the flushes at 30K increments. If I recall the fluid and filter cost was around $30.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:37 PM
Awesome write up!!!

I'm coming up on 30k and thinking about doing this project myself, but I have the 4.6l.

Anyone know how similar this 5.3 write up is compared to doing it on a 4.6l?

Old 10-20-2007, 06:21 PM
Great write up! I've been on the fence about doing this (32K miles) but I am def going to do this in the future. Love the detailed step by step directions

Old 10-21-2007, 03:38 AM
Very nice write up!

Job well done, time for one!

Flagship

Old 10-21-2007, 08:34 AM
Mystery part I have read other threads talking about it but I don't remember why it comes in the pans from the factory. This is not needed to be reinstalled.
This mystery part is a little plug that is in the end of the tranny dipstick tube. It stops crap from getting into the tranny during assembly. When the tranny is mounted to the engine at the assembly plant and they put the tranny dip stick in it knocks out this little plug and it settles in the pan.
PS. It is also a good way for the dealer to see if your telling the truth as to whether its your trannys first oil change or not. As they will see the plug and know it has not been changed before. They will remove it after your first oil change.

PS. Great write up. I was going to bring mine to the dealer to get it done as i have never done it before. I think i might have a go at this puppy myself. How long did it take you? is it about as long as to do an oil change?

Last edited by Irish FX4; 10-21-2007 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:04 AM
props to you, that was great.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:08 AM
Great write up!

I sure learned a lot from it.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, superb write-up!!! I had mine flushed about 12,000 miles ago, and I think I want to drop the pan and change the filter real soon. This definately gives me more confidence that I can do it myself. Thanks again for the great post!!!

Old 10-23-2007, 11:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks !

Old 10-23-2007, 12:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tranny service question

My 05 Lariat 5.4L has 80,000 kilometers and hasn't had a Transmission service. Is this something that I should have had done before now? Thanks Greg

Old 10-23-2007, 12:23 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
White - hat's off to ya

Great tutorial. Good to see you are finding things to keep you busy & distracted while waiting on the tuning.

One suggestion if I may - it's prudent to do the pan swap/filter change, and then the flush. This way any crud in the pan is long gone before the flushing process has a chance to potentially redistribute it. Just fyi.

Thanks!

MGD

Old 10-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fasteel
My 05 Lariat 5.4L has 80,000 kilometers and hasn't had a Transmission service. Is this something that I should have had done before now? Thanks Greg
Don't do a flush. Do a pan-drop/filter as described above. It's never too late to do as described by the original poster (OP).

Old 10-23-2007, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by Fasteel
80000 km = 49709.695 mi. That's not that far out of the recommendation. Flush it, Ford recommends you flush it every 30K. You should be fine to have it flushed. I didn't do the flush on my 02 I had until it had 42K and I never serviced the pan or filter.
Originally Posted by MGDfan
White - hat's off to ya

Great tutorial. Good to see you are finding things to keep you busy & distracted while waiting on the tuning.

One suggestion if I may - it's prudent to do the pan swap/filter change, and then the flush. This way any crud in the pan is long gone before the flushing process has a chance to potentially redistribute it. Just fyi.

Thanks!

MGD
Thank you
I've heard this both ways on servicing the pan with flush, which order to do it in. I don't know what's really right or wrong but I plan on doing it the other way next time to see if it looks any different. Meanwhile I am going to drop it again at 45K with no flush and take a look then too. It will be a while but I'll update this and post a picture of what it looks like when I do it.

I floored my truck leaving work last night trying to merge into traffic This thing has no power. I got honked at by a chevy driver :o Then today I got a double salute from a old lady driving a Dodge Caravan going to work I need Mike to hurry before I get run over by these crazy people I live around

Old 10-28-2007, 07:39 PM
Does this...

Ok I might just not totally get this.

So is this the same thing as a full tranny flush too? I mean to me, it seems like if you did this its changing the fluid and also filter, but not flushing the system.

So this should be done THEN a flush since it ll just flush the remaining junk out? BUT It would seem to me flush first then change it and just go ahead spend the 25 and put new fluid in again.

I dunno.

If I do this tomorrow, should I go get a flush when I get my plugs changed in a few days? Or is my tranny fluid now ok and system is clean?

To me it makes more sense to flush it first then replace the 1/2 fluid again, mainly because if you flush it it ll go thro a nasty filter to a nasty pan to a nasty magnet. Then you can do this and it ll clean all that up, getting rid of all the shavings etc already in the pad and it wont put new ones back into it.

Just my thoughts, any input?
I think Ill call and make an apt. tomorrow for my plugs atleast.

Thanks!

Last edited by madcat6183; 10-28-2007 at 07:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Servicing your Transmission Pan and Filter 4R70E and 4R75E (2004-2008 5.4L 3v)