Trans temp question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans temp question

I recently installed a trans temp gauge. It never goes over 150degrees and usually is around 140. I have checked the gauge for accuracy and it is within 1/2 degree of the infared reading. The "normal" temp range according to Ford is between 150 and 180. Are the lower temps OK or does this show a potential problem. I do have a factory installed trans cooler. Any thoughts are welcome.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:01 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Where is the temp sensor installed? and is your trans under any 'load' at any time?

In my case, mine will barely get above 100* in the winter time cruising the 18 miles to work in the morning.... My sensor is on the trans output line, just before it goes into the rad BTW.

As the outside temps rise, so does my lowest trans temp reading....

However, if I put the truck under load, the trans temp will rise accordingly.... I backup my driveway often, and the temp will rise pretty quick, so I don't mess around and make sure I get it lined up right the first time for whatever I'm unloading!

When I tow my TT, I've seen only 150* on level ground in the winter time.

It'll get to 180* in the summer time without towing anything. It will also go to 180* in the summer time towing, so I don't fret about it.

Got it up to 210* for a short time on a long pull up a 6% grade, but it was in unlocked 2nd gear, and once the TC locked in 2nd, then the temp went down a few degrees.....

You just gotta give it some time and observe what temps you are getting and what the conditions are and what you are doing with the thing.... Any change will effect the temps to a point, so you just have to figure out what it's telling you and what you are doing at that particular time to decide if somethings' wrong...

Mitch

Old 03-19-2007, 03:05 PM
My edgemonitor tranny temp is 150. That's 24 miles 1 way city/highway driving. I have the towing pkg,(tranny cooler).

Old 03-19-2007, 03:53 PM
I installed it into the trans pan. Cut a hole and brazed a fitting in. You are correct. I need to give it time and see. I was just wondering if a low reading(below 140) is OK. Like if an engine never reached operating temp it dosent run good. Is it the same for trans temp or has nothing to do with it. I took it through the mountains last weekend and was driving on 6% grades. It never went above 140. If it dosent matter Ill feel lucky it runs cool. I just like to know what I am looking at. Thanks

And it isnt under load much.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:16 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
The pan reading is going to be lower than the output from the pump/TC on the way to the cooler.

Adrianspeeder

Old 03-19-2007, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by adrianspeeder
The pan reading is going to be lower than the output from the pump/TC on the way to the cooler.

Adrianspeeder
Thats very true. This is where the directions said to put it. Its a Stewart Warner gauge.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:41 PM
Most days mine hovers around 150 most of the time this time of year. When it gets hotter out it may go up depending on whether I'm sitting in traffic or not. I've seen it stay at 185 for awhile.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the respnses all

Old 03-20-2007, 09:53 PM
I think according to my Edge I've never went over 140 degrees tranny temp. I've even went several miles on the expressway with overdrive off and the highest I remember seeing it go was 138. This was just the truck...no load or towing though.

Quick Reply: Trans temp question