Should I change my Manual shift oil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 01:05 PM
NMC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I change my Manual shift oil?

I have a 1998 f-150 with a 4.6 and stick shift. I have 135000 on it now and thanks to the forum fixed the 4x4....however I am doing some work on it now (brakes etc) and just wanted to know if I should change the manual shift oil.
It has never been changed is this something that I should change or is it not that important to do on a manual...
If I need to change it how do I do it? I am betting there is a fill plug above the drain and you have to use a hose to get it in there? Just a guess...
Also what oil works best for this.
Thanks Again for the help...this is a great forum!!

Old 02-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You should have changed that stuff a long time ago. It is supposed to be changed about every 30,000 miles. DO IT NOW.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:06 PM
Its long overdue for a change and seeing how these M5OD transmission that Mazda supplies to Ford aren't the best, I'd change it now and every 30K from now on. First, check your manual and see what kind of fluid is recommended by Ford. I believe it calls for Mercon ATF in these units. If that's the case any Mercon fluid will work fine, synthetic may give better shift response in cold temps. Second, pop the fill plug. Don't want to drain the old fluid and not be able to get new stuff in there. May take some lube and a breaker bar. Third, drain the old stuff out. Finally, fill till the fill hole with new stuff. If it takes ATF and not gear lube you may need a handpump (found at any parts store or Wally World) or a transmission funnel to get new fluid in. Let us know how the old lube looked and if you have any more questions.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:13 PM
NMC
I will check out my manual and give er a change! Thanks for the help and advice...also I will post how it looked...

Old 02-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Manual trannies are considered 'lubed for life, unless submerged in water' per Ford. Changing the MTX fluid every 30k is WAAAY overkill... Every 100k is more then adequate.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:53 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I can do an M5OD in 10 minutes now once I bought a suction gun. Basicly a grease gun with a different end. 4quarts of plain ole Mercon ATF works for me, although some like GM syncromesh fluid.

Be careful not to lose the aluminum washers on each plug.

Adrianspeeder

Old 02-20-2007, 08:05 AM
Once you try the syncromesh you will never go back to poorly lubricating ATF.
Alan

Old 02-20-2007, 10:07 AM
Why change your fluid? I had a 99 Ranger with a five speed and never changed the fluid in 150000 and I never had single problem out of the clutch or tranny.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:36 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Biggest reason is to get the fine metal wearings out of there. The drain plug has a magnet on it builds up.

For only 4 quarts in the M5OD-R2, it's not really that big of deal to change.

Adrianspeeder

Old 02-20-2007, 03:52 PM
NMC
Just Got it changed today...It is about 70 degrees here in Missouri! I purchased 4 qts of Mercon by carquest and asked about a pump to get it in there...They did not have anything so I thought here we go....But I tried the Parts plus in town and they sold me a Suction Gun for $10....I just checked the post and someone mentioned it so I guess it was the right tool!...It did work well...
The Oil was very dark and there were metal shavings on the drain plug like one picture showed...I think I will changed it every so often...Maybe every 50k or so....I am glad I changed it since it did look crappy....Thanks for the pointers!

Old 07-09-2007, 07:57 AM
I just changed my slave cylinder yesterday and while I was at it, I figured, what the hell, I'll change the tranny fluid as well. Since I dumped quite a bit out taking off my driveshaft.

My question is. Can I just fill the transmission through the shifter hole in my floor board?

I have that whole thing apart and figured it would be easier to fill from up top then that side hole.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:36 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes you can fill the tranny from the shift lever hole. Just don't over fill it. When I do that I leave the fill plug off and when oil leaks out of it I stop filling.

JMC

Quick Reply: Should I change my Manual shift oil?