Transmission Flush or regular pan drops?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transmission Flush or regular pan drops?

Okay for the last 2 or so hours, I've been searching all the forums for opinions about changing and/or Flushing the tranny.

I bought mine used at a ford dealership with 66,000 miles. The oil had already been changed and is good till 69K. Checked the tranny fluid and it looks very clean. Its an 03 FX4 with a 5.4. The thing I'd like to accomplish, is on my next oil change, go ahead and get all the upkeep done, so I can keep track of what has been done and when. Im talking, PCV, tune up, fuel filter, oil, tranny, and new gear oil in the diff when I put the lockers in. I haven't really looked super hard at the tranny yet, but from what I hear 03 and up doesnt have the TC drain plug. I want the most fluid out of the tranny as possible with the least amount of problems.

Not sure which oil I'm going to start using, engine and transmission.
I think I mite go with Castrol engine, and maybe amsoil or motorcraft tranny???? Im kinda stumped on the transmission fluid, not sure which route I should go. I do believe that whichever oil you use, stick with it. Maybe thats just an old tall tail, but it gives me a warm and fuzzy.

My big question would be. Is it really that bad to get the tranny flushed and have them change out the filter? I'm unsure of the flush deal. Maybe just unhooking the hardline to the transmission letting the tranny pump it out, then drop the pan, and then the filter. My only factor in that is, the TC still has a few QTs in there, along with other parts of the transmission. I've also heard of those fluid exchange machines too..

I plan on buying a nice big pan with a drainplug in it. So that way I can just change the fluid and filter every 30k w/ no mess...

-Any opinions would be very helpful.

Is a flush really that bad? Even if you change the filter? or maybe a flush every 50 or 60k, with pan drop and filter every 30k?

Im lost and curious and just want the best for my truck. I've been trying to find the type of transmission my 03 has, but couldnt find the numbers anywhere, not even in the stickies. I'm sure I'll figure it out sometime

Thanks!!

Casey,

Old 02-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just do a regular fluid and filter change. you have a fx4 right?? does that come with stock tranny cooler?? if not adding one will help keep everything cool.

Old 02-19-2007, 12:23 AM
Originally Posted by keith97xlt
just do a regular fluid and filter change. you have a fx4 right?? does that come with stock tranny cooler?? if not adding one will help keep everything cool.
Actually I wanted to add a transmission cooler on it, hopefully thats one of my first mods! I'm pretty sure it doesnt have one, I didnt think any of the 03 FX4's had them stock. I really havent even looked to close though.

How much for a good tranny cooler n e how and how is the install? A do it your selfer or more of a shop job?

-so just a pan drop and filter is best? Thanks for the good words!!

Casey,

Old 02-19-2007, 06:48 AM
well a tranny cooler probably run you abput 50-100$ depending on what size u want. go to summitracing or jegs they have all kinds of them. if you can do a fluid and filter change you can handle a cooler install i woukd think.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by keith97xlt
well a tranny cooler probably run you abput 50-100$ depending on what size u want. go to summitracing or jegs they have all kinds of them. if you can do a fluid and filter change you can handle a cooler install i woukd think.
I'm no grease monkey, under the truck, but I definitely love turnin wrenches! I think I'll do that! Thanks...

Old 02-19-2007, 12:20 PM
before you go out and buy a tranny cooler check and make sure you dont already have one.i only say this cause i have an 02 fx4 almost identical to yours cept mine is an reg cab with the long bed an the 4.6 but mine came with a tranny cooler.

Old 02-19-2007, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by stan2973
before you go out and buy a tranny cooler check and make sure you dont already have one.i only say this cause i have an 02 fx4 almost identical to yours cept mine is an reg cab with the long bed an the 4.6 but mine came with a tranny cooler.
good save

Wow your right... shes on there... It also looks like there is some kind of small cooling unit to the right of the aux tranny cooler... Any Ideas what that was?

So how good is this cool compared to the after market ones?

Old 02-19-2007, 01:57 PM
that might be a power steering cooler. my 97 has a power steering cooler but no tranny cooler. come spring tranny cooler going in.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

maybe amsoil or motorcraft tranny???? Im kinda stumped on the transmission fluid, not sure which route I should go.
Good tranny fluid for the Ford Automatic 4R70W.

Greetings From Canton Ohio BTW !

Old 02-20-2007, 12:57 AM
the only reason i wanted him to check was cause a buddy of mine almost had me ready to buy one till i actually got under the truck and found out i already had one.i could be wrong but it is worth a look before you buy something you already have.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:30 AM
and jjmIII the truck that you have is almost the same as the one that i used as a reason to buy the one i have now.i used to work for a comp and one of the service trucks was a 98 f150 stepside(sidestep) but anyhow it was a 4.6 and trust me we beat that poor thing an the engine but, im really surprised about this that the tranny took it.when i did quit that job that truck had 300,000 miles on it and that was over a year ago and i still keep in touch with ppl an its still goin. so i guess reg maintance is the best thing of all .oh and all they ever did was drop the tranny pan change the filter an fluid. now i wont argue with those who do the whole tranny flush but after driving a truck with 300,000 plus miles that was beat on at least 100,000 of those miles and only had the fluid and filter changed but still ran strong.im gonna kinda think that thats all a tranny needs.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:51 PM
Well, I installed a drain plug in the trans pan, and I change the fluid in the pan at every 10,000 miles. I drop the pan and change the filter every 40,000.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by stan2973
so i guess reg maintance is the best thing of all .oh and all they ever did was drop the tranny pan change the filter an fluid. now i wont argue with those who do the whole tranny flush but after driving a truck with 300,000 plus miles that was beat on at least 100,000 of those miles and only had the fluid and filter changed but still ran strong.im gonna kinda think that thats all a tranny needs.
I think I can agree with you on just dropping the pan. Back in '05 when I got my 97 F150 4.6 auto. My dad decided to change the tranny filter. When we dropped the pan it was the original filter with 170,xxx miles on it. I read that it's a gamble if you change the filter that late. I now have 197,400 on the truck and the tranny has held up. Only little hickup is the downshift out of OD when I hit about 30 mph. I am planning on doing another filter change and also draining the converter.

Quick Reply: Transmission Flush or regular pan drops?