check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check engine light

Ok, now I don't know what is going on. Could this be a engine problem instead of a tranny problem? It seemed before that the transmission was shuddering and slipping in the higher gears, and only when I am driving these country roads, pulling up the next hill. Let off the gas going downhill, and then when I oick up the throttle going up the other side, it starts that jerking and slipping. Took it in to Ford and got a tranny service, they told me it had burnt fluid and debris in the pan. Got it back and it still does the jerking, although the shuddering seems to have stopped. I have to drive it with the overdrive shut off so it won't jerk. Even with that, it still does it sometimes when I do the downhill/uphill thing.
Now I am noticing that when I really punch it downgoing uphill, the "service engine soon" light flashes and goes off. I took it to a tune up place, and the guy said it has an old code that reads "all cylinder misfire" or something to that effect. I am wondering if my "slipping" problem isn't a engine tune up problem instead.
Have any of you ever experienced this? Trying to avoid the transmission repair if possible.

Thanks,
TC

Old 02-15-2007, 05:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
We can't help if you don't tell us about the truck. Year? Engine? Miles? 2/4WD? Modifications? Damage?

Old 02-16-2007, 09:41 AM
99 F150 4X4 4.6L 4R70W transmission no damage 140000 miles

Old 02-16-2007, 12:11 PM
How long ago (time & miles) did the dealer service the trans?

Read this caption & try it.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:44 PM
I had the dealer service the tranny last week. They said the fluid was burnt, and debris in the pan. They also said that they could tell it was the first time it had ever been serviced. I bought it used, so I can only attest to the maintenance that I have done on it.

Old 02-17-2007, 02:36 AM
If they took your money to do something to the trans, it's their problem now. If the trans was too far gone for a fluid change to have helped, they shouldn't have offered to do it. Now that they have, & you're having problems less than a week later - they have to fix it. A refund won't cut it. You paid to get your trans working right, and it's not.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:14 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
They said the fluid was burnt, and debris in the pan.
Rebuild time. 140k on no fluid change isn't that bad, the only way to keep most auto trannys running longer than that is with regular preventive maintenance and avoid abuse. You don't know how the previous owner(s) treated it. The fluid change was worth a try - but it sounds like it was already too far gone. All I'd expect the dealer to possibly do is deduct the cost of the service from the rebuild.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:33 PM
4. After normal operating temperature is reached, maintain a constant vehicle speed of about 80 km/h (50 mph) and tap brake pedal with the left foot.
5. Engine rpm should increase when brake pedal is tapped, and decrease about five seconds after pedal is released. If this does not occur, see torque converter operation concerns.
OK, I did this test today, and the RPMs increased then decreased as it says in the test. Does this mean something else is the problem?
I don't want to spend the money on a tranny then find out it's something else.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The blinking SES light indicates a misfire or other severe drivability problem. I would pursue that first before spending U$$$$ on a tranny.
You need to get the codes read that are stored in the computer. You may want to do the full power hillclimb before the code read to make sure they haven't been erased by too many drive cycles.
List the codes here and we will take a shot at diagnosis.

Firtz

Old 02-19-2007, 08:00 AM
You may want to do the full power hillclimb before the code read to make sure they haven't been erased by too many drive cycles.
What is that? How do I do that?

Quick Reply: check engine light