trans fluid change/flush questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trans fluid change/flush questions...

I've been reading a bit about how to change the trans fluid on my 2001 F150 SuperCrew 4x4, and how it's not a good idea to have a flush done if it's never been done before on a high mileage vehicle.

Looking back in my files, I see that I had a flush done (1st time) at 60k by the dealer - it was called a 'T-Tek Flush' on the writeup. I now have 90-95k on the truck (don't remember at the moment).

would there be a problem with having a flush done, or should I just to a fluid change? or is the fluid fine and I should just leave it alone?

thanks in advance

Old 01-23-2007, 10:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Either way is good. There would be no more chance of a problem with a flush than just replacing the fluid. If not flushing, you need to also drain the torque converter. There should be a drain plug on the converter in a 2001.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:03 PM
Sounds like the filter has never been changed. I would drop the pan this time and change the filter. The inside of the pan could also use a good cleaning. This job is pretty easy. If you suck the fluid out from the dipstick tube it will make this job a lot less messy. It takes awhile, but I just use the top of a liquid hand soap bottle with a hose attached and feed it down the dipstick tube to pump it out I also use this method to replace a couple quarts every once in awhile. Not sure about yours, but my 03 has a reusable pan gasket.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:08 PM
Almost forgot, I had a flush done at the dealership on a Taurus about three years ago. The Trans went bye-bye about 900 miles after the flush. I will never be lazy again!!!!!! This might not happen to everyone but it did to me.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:25 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I am curious, when you do a flush, do contaminates not get pushed into the tranny? Or is the fluid being forced out without going through the clutch packs? I did the dealer service at 30,000 which is dropping the pan and changing the filter and about 6 qts. This was what the dealer recommended, they advised against the flush.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
taurus trannys are notorious for having all kinds of problems.i had a 93 and it blew going uphill at a stoplight.that sucked. i still had enough first gear to pull over i was revving at like 4,000 rpm. i ended up giving that car away.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by fishx65
Almost forgot, I had a flush done at the dealership on a Taurus about three years ago. The Trans went bye-bye about 900 miles after the flush. I will never be lazy again!!!!!! This might not happen to everyone but it did to me.
That had nothing to do with the flush. The T-Tech transmission flush machine is just like Kidney dialysis. You disconnect your tranny cooler lines from the radiator, and run them through the machine. It puts absolutely no pressure on the fluid or tranny. It merely puts the old into a container inside it, and adds the new as the tranny's own pump circulates the fluid. You are actually 100x more likely to have tranny problems by removing the pan on higher mileage vehicles. The uneducated out there that bash the T-Tech machine don't even know how it works....most just heard it from a guy who's sisters cousins uncle took his 200,000 miles chevy pos somewhere, did it against the advice of the service technician, and the tranny craped out. Hardly a worthwhile reason or source is ever involved.

The worst vehicles to flush are the late 90's early 00's explorers. The pump pressure is so weak at idle, you have to lift them off the ground, put them in drive and acutally drive it in the air to get the fluid to circulate

Old 01-24-2007, 01:37 AM
i have 140k on mine and not sure if the previous owner changed the fluid. Should i go for a full flush and filter change?

Old 01-28-2007, 10:41 PM
I have 2002 F150 with 57,000 miles....should I change the tranny fluid AND filter at 60,000 miles? I want to keep this tranny running for as long as possible. I plan on putting a better tranny cooler and tranny temp gauge in the near future. Thanks.

Quick Reply: trans fluid change/flush questions...