tranny fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tranny fluid change

I've been reading the posts on here regarding changing the transmission fluid on my 2000 F150 automatic with overdrive. There are dozens of conflicting methods and fuid types. Can someone clear this up so I don't ruin my transmission? I just want to do a simple fluid change and possibly a filter change. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dextron III mercon. drain the converter too.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:56 PM
As i recall it depends on your transmission. if you have a 4r70w, use mercon V, if you have a 4r100, use mercon, who gives a rat's a$$ about dexron, that is for chebbies

Old 12-30-2006, 02:02 PM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Should probably flush it. Your local dealer should do it for around $160. They dont change the filter though unless specified. They will run a carbon breakdown fluid through your trans to eat up all the gunk in the lines and valvebody. then they will powerflush the old junk out and flush new in along with a fluid stabilizer. If you just do your basic trans pan drop and converter drain, there is still anywhere from 2-4 qaurts still in your transmission. With that being said, thats still a heavy amount and will contaminate your new fluid.

Old 12-30-2006, 10:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Do it at the dealer and get that flush mentioned above or it's a waste, let them advise you on a filter change. It's 100% worth it.

They'll use Mercon V most likely, Let them do it , you can't do it yourself as good as they can now, with there updated equipment.

I absolutely hate going to the dealership for anything, but I will for that from now on.

Last edited by jbrew; 12-30-2006 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:13 PM
tranny flush

I agree, have the tranny flushed. Why bother with a pan drop and then worry about the thing leaking? The flush is well worth the money...have mine done every 30,000 miles.

Later...

Old 12-31-2006, 07:22 AM
My local dealer offers three types of services:

Simple service. Pan drop, replace filter, refill. $90.

Flush fluid. $160.

Full service. Change filter and flush. $200.

Assuming the transmission has not be serviced before I would recommend changing all the fluid and the filter. An '00 will have a torque converter drain plug so you can drain nearly all of the fluid if you choose to do it yourself. Those of us with newer trucks can only get what's in the pan, 4-5 quarts, without opening up a line. Any fluid labeled Mercon V will work fine. Ford dealer will use Motorcraft Mercon V and a Motorcraft filter both good stuff. If you drop the pan yourself only buy the filter, the gasket is reuseable and you do not need to buy a new one. Clean the pan with some brake cleaner and don't overtighten the pan bolts when reinstalling.

Old 12-31-2006, 11:31 AM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes they do use Mercon V and should add a stabilizer. When I did my own flush at work I did not even bother with the filter. 1000 miles later the fluid hasnt even tinted the slightest bit.

Old 12-31-2006, 12:06 PM
All I ever did was use Mercon V and did so even in the transfer case, although there you're supposed to use the dextron, oops, my bad! Every place I hear says switching to Mercon V is highly recommended anyways, just don't mix. In changing, I switched to a TCI pan with 2 extra quart capacity and drain plug (helpful). Let that drain fully, drop the pan, reuse the gasket, but replace the filter, bolt up. Then drain the torque converter, there is alot of fluid in there. Be careful with the plug not to tighten too much, just snug it. There is alot of posts here, so search for additional info. The fluid should be Mercon V though.

Old 01-01-2007, 02:06 AM
I am getting ready to service mine. The only question I have is wether or not the the Amsoil syn ATF is comparable to Mercon V?

Old 01-01-2007, 04:20 AM
Originally Posted by Camarothatcould
Should probably flush it. Your local dealer should do it for around $160. They dont change the filter though unless specified. They will run a carbon breakdown fluid through your trans to eat up all the gunk in the lines and valvebody. then they will powerflush the old junk out and flush new in along with a fluid stabilizer. If you just do your basic trans pan drop and converter drain, there is still anywhere from 2-4 qaurts still in your transmission. With that being said, thats still a heavy amount and will contaminate your new fluid.
I do not recomend a flush. For those of you that dont have a garbage disposal and hand wash your dishes. Would you wash a sink full of dishes and take the food caught in the drain and eat it for breakfast? That is what your trany is doing when you flush it. Drain as much as you can change filter and fluid,and your good to go.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:32 AM
Not a fan of the flush but a fluid exchange is OK. Difference is that a fluid exchange uses the transmissions pump to slowly replace all the fluid, took almost an hour on an old Ranger of mine. Flush machines can stir up junk that does not need to be disturbed.

Amsoil ATF is recommended for use in transmissions that require Mercon V. Other sythetics that will work include Mobil 1 ATF and Redline D4. Amsoil will mix fine your older fluid if you choose to drain and fill only.

Old 01-01-2007, 11:22 AM
If I drain the converter too I should need about 17 qts right?

Old 01-01-2007, 11:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
16 to be correct

Old 01-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: tranny fluid change