Anyone use Synthetic Amsoil?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 02:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone use Synthetic Amsoil?

My private mech urged me to give the amsoil synthetic a try specifically since i was towing a trailor from time to time which was near my weight max. Although i havent pulled the trailor yet since winter is here, i have noticed a much smoother shifting trans. Mech said that this would run my tranny temps much cooler than regular fluid. I plan to get a edge evo soon which i think may tell me my tranny temps but im not sure that works on a 1998. Does anyone know about this? anyway just wanted anyones opinion on amsoil synthetic.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:45 AM
I wanted to add that i also use amsoil synthetic gear oil in my rear diff and also my front diff for the 4x4.As soon as my motor oil is do i will switch to that as well in the motor. I allready run it in my tractor and it runs nice and smooth and never smokes a bit. They also make oil for all grease fittings but im aware of the location of mine yet.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:32 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Hi!!!

I've use Amsoil, only for about 2 weeks tho. I had a bad shudder problem and an old transmission guy that talked my ear off suggested Amsoil for my high mileage trans. I got it everywhere except for my T-case. There's only two grease fittings on the truck - I use a needle injector threw the dust boots for the rest. I 've been using Amsoil grease for two years - that's all we use at work in the winter when it gets cold because it keeps it's composure. My shudder problems have ceased in my trans. Expensive , but it sure smooths things out..

Last edited by jbrew; 12-04-2006 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:31 AM
I think i payed about 250 so far in fluid changes"i let my mech do it" but i think in the long run it will be worth it. Once i get my oil changed he said change it every 25k or 1 year. i may do 2 times a year just because..

Old 12-04-2006, 08:33 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bigmark
My private mech urged me to give the amsoil synthetic a try specifically since i was towing a trailor from time to time which was near my weight max. Although i havent pulled the trailor yet since winter is here, i have noticed a much smoother shifting trans. Mech said that this would run my tranny temps much cooler than regular fluid. I plan to get a edge evo soon which i think may tell me my tranny temps but im not sure that works on a 1998. Does anyone know about this? anyway just wanted anyones opinion on amsoil synthetic.
Hi.

Yep. I used Amsoil in my old truck's tranny - good stuff. My first choice was Mobil1, but for some retarded reason Mobil does not provide Mercon V in Canada, so my choices were limited. Amsoil was readily available.

No - the Edge does not display tranny temps on pre-04's. That's really dumb, as well. Get a gauge - works better anyway, since you can determine where you want to measure the temps.

Cheers
Bubba

Old 12-04-2006, 08:40 AM
Amsoil ATF will work fine in your transmission. Are you doing a pan drop, filter change and refill or a flush? I started doing drain and fills with Amsoil on my 02 but have since changed to Mobil 1 now that it meets Mercon V specs. The M1 is $2.50 per quart cheaper at the retail level in my area. Redline D4 is another synthetic tranny fluid that meets Mercon V specs. If you're running Amsoil everywhere else might as well run it in the transmission. Don't forget to change the transmission filter.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:25 PM
Is there any guys on here that sells amsoil? Im probaly gonna start running it in my truck.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:06 AM
I did a pan drop filter change. there was no metal in bottom of the pan where that magnet is so thats a good thing. My rear end looked pretty good also when we were in there.I know my mechanic is a dealer for amsoil but not sure if he ships it out.

Quick Reply: Anyone use Synthetic Amsoil?