Change to "shift on the fly"

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 11:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Change to "shift on the fly"

How hard would it be to change an '04 4x4 that has the shift lever on the floor for the 4x4 to the electronic shift on the dash?

Isn't that what they call "shift on the fly?

Thanks

Old 11-25-2006, 01:24 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Different transfer case, wiring harness, possibly main computer. It's a popular swap to go the other direction.

Adrianspeeder

Old 11-25-2006, 05:02 PM
That complicated huh?

Why is it more popular to go the other direction? I like the clean look without that stuff on the floor. I only use the 4x4 occasionally.

Figgy

Old 11-26-2006, 09:58 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Indeed, it's not an easy swap to go the other way. I suppose it's possible, but it's not going to be easy.

Also, both systems are shift-on-the-fly, but you have the MANUAL shift on the fly, the other is ELECTRONIC shift on the fly.

-Joe

Old 11-26-2006, 11:29 AM
I had found a rare truck that had most everything I was looking for except for the electronic shift on the dash but I thought maybe I could change it.
Guess I'll keep looking.
Thanks

Old 11-26-2006, 09:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Why, oh why would you not want a simpler, and less prone-to-problems setup? Does the floor lever look that bad? Especially if 4WD is used rarely, the manual setup would more likely to keep working (although all 4x4 systems should be exercised occasionally). I understand people's aversion to manual hubs, as it can be a pain to remember to lock them in, but give me a lever over a solenoid-driven system any day.

Andy (who misses his old Ranger's manual trans, xfer case, and hubs)

Last edited by OhioLariat; 11-26-2006 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by figgy
That complicated huh?

Why is it more popular to go the other direction? I like the clean look without that stuff on the floor. I only use the 4x4 occasionally.

Figgy
Following the KISS (keep it simple stupid) method is the biggest reason. Less electronic fluff to fail, and that usually happens right when ya need 4x4. My personal preference is manual hubs with a manual transfer case. Not much to go wrong there. Course I also prefer a manual tranny, so I'm a bit biased.

Adrianspeeder

Old 11-29-2006, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by adrianspeeder
Following the KISS (keep it simple stupid) method is the biggest reason. Less electronic fluff to fail, and that usually happens right when ya need 4x4. My personal preference is manual hubs with a manual transfer case. Not much to go wrong there. Course I also prefer a manual tranny, so I'm a bit biased.

Adrianspeeder
Unfortunately you can't get any of that on a 97-up F-150. The manual case is only manual in the sense that you manually position the shift fork in the transfer case. However, the t-case still relies on the GEM to synch the shaft speeds if you shift on the fly and the GEM controls the solenoids to lock the center-axle disconnect on the front axle. The '04-up trucks are almost as bad, but at least their default, should you lose vacuum, is to lock the hubs, so in a pinch, you could just disconnect the vacuum line from the solenoid to force the hubs to lock. Not sure if you can still get a manual case on the 04-ups though.

Bottom line is we're moving farther and farther away from the days of yesteryear when low lock meant low-lock!

-Joe

Old 11-30-2006, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by GIJoeCam
Unfortunately you can't get any of that on a 97-up F-150. The manual case is only manual in the sense that you manually position the shift fork in the transfer case. However, the t-case still relies on the GEM to synch the shaft speeds if you shift on the fly and the GEM controls the solenoids to lock the center-axle disconnect on the front axle. The '04-up trucks are almost as bad, but at least their default, should you lose vacuum, is to lock the hubs, so in a pinch, you could just disconnect the vacuum line from the solenoid to force the hubs to lock. Not sure if you can still get a manual case on the 04-ups though.

Bottom line is we're moving farther and farther away from the days of yesteryear when low lock meant low-lock!

-Joe
you can get manual case on the 04-ups but i think only in xls & possibly xlts
i know you can only get electric case on the fx4 & lariats/king ranches, & i think its an option on the xlt (if they come standard with manual)
do xlts have the center console/shifter?

Old 11-30-2006, 12:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always ordered the manual lever as opposed to the ESOF in all of my past trucks, but (reluctantly) ordered the ESOF on my '05. I prefer the manual lever due to the simpler, more reliable system. So why did I go to ESOF on the new truck? Since the center section of the bench seat is no longer movable and Ford insists that you get the small console (with cup holders) on the floor with the manual lever, you essentially end up being able to only seat two people in the front of the truck. In a regular cab truck, that's like stealing 33% of the seating capacity. With the ESOF, I can put a real, live human being in the center for short periods of time.

Quick Reply: Change to "shift on the fly"