Tranny Mount

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 01:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny Mount

I was under my truck yesterday checking my u-joints and noticed that when I push up on the driveshaft the whole transmission moves up. The only other experience that I've had with tranny mounts was on an old Dodge that I had and the mount was completely destroyed so the whole transmission moved all over the place. I can't really see the mount so it's hard to tell if it's bad. It's not like the tranny slides all over the place, but it does move more than I would think is normal. I can move it about a half inch in all directions (except down, obviously) but it always returns to the original position. Btw, I've got about 83k miles on the truck.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how old is the truck?? some of those stock control arm bushings,tranny bushings etc.. wear out fast the because the rubber drys and cracks

Old 11-21-2006, 02:52 PM
It's a 2002. I have already had to replace the control arm bushings because they wore out.

Old 11-21-2006, 05:53 PM
well see how much you can get a aftermarket mount for. if you plan on keeping the truck,might as well or it will just get worse

Old 11-22-2006, 09:05 PM
Had this on a different brand truck!

My old truck made a rough sound, like a bolt thread rubbing over metal. It also had a bit of a lag when you gave it some gas after a stop, then a bit of a jump when it tightened up. So I changed it because it looked cracked and old. Man what a differance a few bucks, two bolts and a bottle jack had made. I also noticed the other day , that my new (new to me) F-150 was exactly as you described when I pushed on the driveshaft, so I am going to change it out ASAP. The only side note I have, is that when I changed my last one, the rad fan hit the shroud as the angle of the motor had changed since I had last installed the rad, so just check that sort of thing before a test drive.

Old 12-16-2006, 04:09 AM
Done

That was a job and a half. Unlike my last truck, were all the bolts threaded in from below, this mount had bolts moulded into the mount. I tried unbolting the mount and jacking the tranny up to pull it out, but the mount would not clear without dropping the transmission crossmember. It was no easy task to use a wrench to unbolt some of those bolts because of clearance issues with other componenets in the way!

Old 12-16-2006, 01:39 PM
i swear they make the simplest jobs a pain in the *** just so we will get frustrated and go to the dealer.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:20 PM
I'm having the same trouble replacing the transmission mount as fvshawn described in his 12-16-2006 posting. My posts are at
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=300123

Quick Reply: Tranny Mount