1990 aod to c-6 trans swap???????????

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 02:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1990 aod to c-6 trans swap???????????

Hello, i am completly new to forums this is my first time posting so please excuse me if i do something that offends someone. I need info DESPERTLY cause im leaving n.j. the 25th for s.c. i need to order this first thing fri. 17th in order to complete this on sat 18th. i am currently working on a 1990 E-150 van ( sorry about the van part ) with 167000 miles and has the (3 speed with overdrive ) ( not push button )trans which i think is an aod. this vehicle is used for pulling a 30 foot camper and is sliping in 3-4 gear, so i am going to replace the trans with a used one from a salvage yard. my question - is this an aod and is this suitable for the towing? i have already changed the ring and pinion to a 4:11-1 gears. If not would a c-6 be a better choice? if so what year and how complicated is it and what modification do i need to do? i know the bell housing is the same and will bolt right up, but is either trans computer controled and what torque con., flex plate, mount do i use? will my drive shaft be the right length or should get the shaft out of the same vehicle as the c-6? if the shafts are not interchangable is mine to short or to long and are the splines the same from the aod to c-6? lastly the linkages - tv and selector the same? im pretty handy but i dont want 2 big of a project or major fab. THANK FOR ANY INFO YOU CAN GIVE ME

Old 11-17-2006, 08:30 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
If no push button overdrive lockout switch (thats the E4OD), but you do have overdrive (a display of PRN(D)D1), thats the AOD.

C6 is a great tower, but lacks an overdrive so ya scream down the highway suckin fuel. Both the AOD and C6 are non computer controlled so nothing changes electrically, just the C6 needs a vacuum line while the AOD uses a TV cable. Driveshafts will be different lengths. Bell housing will be the same from a 300, 302, or 351w.

Welcome aboard.

Adrianspeeder

Old 11-17-2006, 09:33 AM
Wink Aod - C-6 More Info

Adrianspeeder thank so much for the info. the only thing i see is two electrical plugs on the drivers side one is right on the speedo cable and the other is near the shift linkage. do you know what they are for and how i would apply them to the c-6 and will the speddo cable be a dirict fit? also were would i get my vacuum from and is there a kick down linkage from the throtle to the trans on the c-6. the only other things are the mount, flex plate, cooler lines and starter the same if not what changes or parts do i need? Is the drive shaft going to be longer or shorter cause shorter is much easier that tring to strech the old one and are the splines the same on the output shaft of the aod the same as c-6 or would i need the yolk from the c-6 or would the drive shaft from the c-6 be a direct fit? THANKS AGAIN SO MUCH AS I SAID THIS VEHICLE IS GOING TO N.J. TO S.C NEXT WEEK AND IS FOR MY GIRLFRIENDS PARENTS AND 7 KIDS, THIS TRAILER AND TRIP IS THE ONLY THING THEY CAN AFFORD TO GET A WAY. CAN U LET ME KNOW ASAP BECAUSE I NEED TO ORDER THIS THING THIS MORNING IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF HOURS. IF POSIBLE CAN YOU GIVE ME A CALL TOLL FREE @1-800-409-9098 AS I AM GOING TO WORK AND WILL NOT BE ABLE TO HAVE ACESS TO COMPUTER. THIS IS MY BUSINESS NUMBER. THANKS AGAIN SO MUCH THE FAMILY WILL CERTAINLY APRECIATE THIS GREATLY.

Old 11-17-2006, 09:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it's going to be difficult to convert this to a C6 in the time you have. Then there will probably be a debug period after yout get it running. Plan on several weeks, not days.

If it were me, I'd replace the AOD with a good quality rebuilt AOD. They are tough transmissions when built right.

When towing with the AOD put the shifter in D instead of OD. This will save wear on the trans. Since it is not computer controlled it can easily get into a hunting situation where it shifts in and out of overdrive. This will destroy the trans in no time at all.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The wiring near the speedo is the VSS for your cruise control. Just swap that whole device (with the gear) into your replacement trans (no matter what kind it is).

The connector by the shifter is the NSS/MLPS/TRS - it interrupts the starter (neutral start), controls the reverse lights, and interrupts the ESOF t-case (4WD only). The C6 will have a different switch & connector, but the circuits & wire colors will be VERY similar (if not identical) so it'll be fairly straightforward to splice the C6 connector onto your original wiring.

The C6 vacuum kickdown is drawn directly from manifold vacuum, so it would go to the tree on top of the plenum.

This suggests that the C6 is among the shorter transmissions, and although it uses the mount shown (the most common style), you probably don't have the damper shown.

If you look VERY closely at the front & back edges of your x-mbr, you might see notations about what transmissions it's used for, and how to configure it. The one in the middle of this pic can be installed backward to fit certain models, as indicated.

I'd say this swap could be done quickly, assuming you have the budget to just buy the parts you can't find. Since the C6 is one of the simplest & most robust slushboxes ever made, I wouldn't expect the "shakedown" to take more than a few minutes, once you get it all installed & assembled.

Old 11-17-2006, 09:48 PM
You don't want to go to a c6. Going from an AOD to a 3-speed is the wrong direction. Plus, to run any reasonable rear gear ratio, you will be probably over 3kRPM at 70.

The AOD is already a stout tranny capable of 400+hp without issue, andthe AOD can be built into an incredibly solid tranny which can easily cope with 1000+hp, and that would be my personal recommendation. Pull down the tranny you have, take it to a tranny shop, and have them rebuild and prep it. Look at heavy duty clutches with better materials (like kevlar), a new torque converter, a new planetary, valve body calibration, Lentech, Precision Industries or Art Carr shafts, an "A" overdrive servo (much larger, factory 92-93 equipment, you need servo piston, cover, return spring, cover seal, and piston seal. Dealer part #'s E9SZ-7F200-A, E9SZ-7D027-A, E9SZ-7F201-A, E9SZ-7D024-A, E0AZ-7D026-A), and a couple other minor things. Don't worry, it sounds much more expensive than it really is.

If you feel that you must go with a 3-speed, look for an aftermarket C4/C6 ball-bearing converted hybrid.

Have a look at Lentech, probably one of the best tranny suppliers out there.
http://www.lentechautomatics.com/aodproducts.html

Old 11-18-2006, 12:48 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Baumann is also known for building stout AODs.

Old 11-19-2006, 09:51 AM
Cool thank you, thank you, thank you

thank again for the info, it has made my nightmares of what to do subside.
its good people like you guys that make the world go round. i think i am set on doing the c-6 swap, thats if the guy @ the junk yard will get the trans and other parts like he said he would for sat. I told him if he would not have the time to do this i would come there and do it my self and he reasured me that sat was no problem. Sat. has come and gone and its now sun. and no parts, no call ( i'm sorry i will not be able to get your parts for sat. like i said i would), so my major panic attack late thurs. night on make a decision by friday morning was for no reason cause it looks like i am not going to get the parts till mon. cause they are closed on sun. and i guess that me telling him that i need the parts on sat and no later does not mean nothing to him. as i said thanks again for all the info its been a great help to me and its nice to know that there is people like me out there that would do anything to help some one out in need. you guys have made my first experience to forums great, so from my girlfriend and me and from the family ( mom, dad and the kids ) THANK YOU. i will let you know how it goes.

Last edited by thomasri; 11-19-2006 at 09:55 AM.

Quick Reply: 1990 aod to c-6 trans swap???????????