tell me Y the OD light flashes

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tell me Y the OD light flashes

OK, It doent flash when I first start it like the other guys did, mine flashes after i drive it a while or I get on it hard NO SLIP NO LEAKS SHIFTS RIGHT I just duno any info would be appreciated dont like taking it to the idiots at the parts store or the dealer in town

Old 10-12-2006, 05:16 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Guess you wil have to live with it then!
Until you get the code, you have no idea what is wrong or what to do about it.

Old 10-12-2006, 07:16 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
And for some reason the cheaper scan tools ain't able to read the tranny codes on the OBDII trucks, so you need to go to ford.

It's a 2grand tranny, I'd wanna know...

Adrianspeeder

Old 10-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Take it in to a shop that can read Ford DTC codes.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:13 PM
Well

Guys I took it to local parts place and they said theres would read the trans coded but it didnt bring up any just o2 and egr nothing big can live with but nothing on the trany. I read some one elses thread on a '97 with about the same miles and he said he took his to Ford and they replaced the VSS but the light still flashed, then he said something about the gear on the vss was out of round would that be on the rear end or in the trany not used to all these sensors freak'n things if in the rear would it be the gear on the Vss or is it that little toothy devil that rides behind the ring gear If in the trany were would it be

Hey Guys thanks for the help

God Bless and keep on wheeling

Old 10-17-2006, 09:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dirtdobberoffrd
Guys I took it to local parts place and they said theres would read the trans coded but it didnt bring up any just o2 and egr nothing big can live with but nothing on the trany.
Now you need to find someone that can read Ford codes. They said they could, but they could not. It takes Ford specific software to read Ford trans codes. When the OD light flashed a code was stored. If they didn't erase it, it's still in memory. If your OD light has flashed since they checked, then it's still there, too.

There is a code. Now you need to find someone that can read it. The other alternative is to start replacing parts until you find it. This method usually takes several thousand dollars to find the problem.

Old 10-17-2006, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by casey_1
Now you need to find someone that can read Ford codes. They said they could, but they could not. It takes Ford specific software to read Ford trans codes. When the OD light flashed a code was stored. If they didn't erase it, it's still in memory. If your OD light has flashed since they checked, then it's still there, too.

There is a code. Now you need to find someone that can read it. The other alternative is to start replacing parts until you find it. This method usually takes several thousand dollars to find the problem.
yep and several thousand I dont have it hasnt done it sence I reset the computer or what ever it does when U turn your key foward and back 5 times I duno about to take 1000 mile trip time will tell!!!

Old 10-18-2006, 07:54 AM
It doesn't do anything when you turn the key on and off 5 times.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:31 PM
are you sure b/c it locks then unlocks the doors and it runs like sh** for a little bit and when my check engine light was on it would make it go off until the truck started running all right agian just a question didnt know.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:56 PM
Yes, I'm sure. The locking and unlocking of the doors means you've accessed the body computer, but not the engine/transmission computer. It takes an OBDII scan tool to clear the codes, not the key cycles.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:42 AM
i had the same problem when i had my 97 explorer. turned out the code said that the converter was bad. It wasnt long after that, that the tranny ttok the plunge. If the light is flashing, it is not a good sign. i would say to rebuild or replace the tranny, and also check the tranfer case. Remember to do tranny services at least once a year to ensure long tranny life.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by casey_1
Yes, I'm sure. The locking and unlocking of the doors means you've accessed the body computer, but not the engine/transmission computer. It takes an OBDII scan tool to clear the codes, not the key cycles.
10/4

Old 10-20-2006, 11:29 PM
Its a code, could be anything from a bad converter to a bad solenoid or a tranny getting ready to take a crap on you/. Get ready with the vaseline

Old 10-23-2006, 01:33 PM
yep thats what im afraid of

Old 10-23-2006, 01:38 PM
It's gauranteed that the longer you drive it with the light flashing the more it will cost to fix it. It could be something really cheap...

Quick Reply: tell me Y the OD light flashes