Go Back   F150online Forums > Special Interest > Towing & Hauling
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!





Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NYC, Ct & NC
Vehicle: 2007 Ford F-150
Posts: 3,456
Send a message via AIM to pmason718
Tongue Weight Rating ?

Guys,

How can I find my tongue weight rating (maybe I'm saying it wrong) I'm looking for the max amount of weight that my receiver will hold. The reason I'm asking is b/c I've towed with my trailer before with no issues (knock on wood) but now I'm thinking of buying a dirt bike carrier (the link is below) but I need to know if my receiver will support it. Is there any information that I can gather off of the truck to better help us?

option 1

http://discountramps.com/smc-600-motorcycle-hauler.htm

option 2

http://discountramps.com/motorcycle-carrier.htm
__________________


2007 Red Fire Metallic FX2 Sport
5.4 V8 3.55
Pioneer Z2 /w Bluetooth, XM Sat, & Nav Traffic
Alpine PKG-RSE2 Overhead Monitor
Alpine MRP-M450 Mono Amp 400w
Alpine MRP-F300 4ch Amp 50W
Q-Logic QL-C1FTX110 Custom Sub Enclosure
JL 10W3v3-2 Sub
Polk db571 Front & Rear Door Speakers
Hella LED tail and 3rd brake lights
4300k Digital HID's
23" Customized Saleen Wheels
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-08-2013, 05:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Mount Airy,MD
Vehicle: 2009 Ford F150
Posts: 6,550
The weight rating will be right on the receiver, but in general, max tongue weight is 500lbs or 5000lb trailer weight, without a weight distribution hitch. Anything higher requires a WD hitch. Also, brakes on the trailer may be required. Many states require these depending upon weight of trailer. Requirement is usually anything over 2-3000lbs. That will require a brake controller.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: WA
Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
Posts: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish51 View Post
The weight rating will be right on the receiver, but in general, max tongue weight is 500lbs or 5000lb trailer weight, without a weight distribution hitch. Anything higher requires a WD hitch. Also, brakes on the trailer may be required. Many states require these depending upon weight of trailer. Requirement is usually anything over 2-3000lbs. That will require a brake controller.
his link isnt really for a trailer... op you need to go look at the sticker on your receiver. but judging how the carrier is only rated for 600 i think you should be safe
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-08-2013, 05:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NYC, Ct & NC
Vehicle: 2007 Ford F-150
Posts: 3,456
Send a message via AIM to pmason718
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish51 View Post
The weight rating will be right on the receiver, but in general, max tongue weight is 500lbs or 5000lb trailer weight, without a weight distribution hitch. Anything higher requires a WD hitch. Also, brakes on the trailer may be required. Many states require these depending upon weight of trailer. Requirement is usually anything over 2-3000lbs. That will require a brake controller.
I'm sorry dude if I confused you. I have no problems towing and I already own a trailer I was trying to see if my hitch/receiver (I hope im saying that correctyl) will support a dirtbike carrier like the one I've posted in the second link. The dirtbike weighs 245lbs weight and the aluminum carrier weighs 40lbs can my truck handle this? I feel it will but want to be on the safe side
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NYC, Ct & NC
Vehicle: 2007 Ford F-150
Posts: 3,456
Send a message via AIM to pmason718
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeacon View Post
his link isnt really for a trailer... op you need to go look at the sticker on your receiver. but judging how the carrier is only rated for 600 i think you should be safe
Thank you I dont think I would get the 600lb one but probably the 400lb one for the dirtbike and I've I need to haul my sportbike that bad I will just remove the bed cover and haul it
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-08-2013, 05:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Mount Airy,MD
Vehicle: 2009 Ford F150
Posts: 6,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmason718 View Post
I'm sorry dude if I confused you. I have no problems towing and I already own a trailer I was trying to see if my hitch/receiver (I hope im saying that correctyl) will support a dirtbike carrier like the one I've posted in the second link. The dirtbike weighs 245lbs weight and the aluminum carrier weighs 40lbs can my truck handle this? I feel it will but want to be on the safe side
Sorry I misunderstood, but the 500lb limit would still apply.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: WA
Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
Posts: 896
just went out and double checked, i have a class 4 receiver and it is 500 pounds, so i would say yours is also
__________________

33x12.5x20 Toyo Mud Terrains Load Range E
20x10 -12 Moto Metal 951s
2 inch level
15% tint
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-08-2013, 07:11 PM
glc glc is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Joplin MO
Vehicle: 2003 Ford F150
Posts: 28,510
You sure it's a class 4? That sounds like a class 3. Class 4's are usually good for at least 1k.
__________________
2003 F-150 XL RCSB 2wd 4.2 M5OD 3.55 LS
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-08-2013, 08:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: WA
Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
Posts: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by glc View Post
You sure it's a class 4? That sounds like a class 3. Class 4's are usually good for at least 1k.
its rated at 500/5000 pounds weight carrying (non weight distributing hitch)
and 990/9990 pounds weight distributing

but i dont think there is a way to use a wd hitch with a carrier, hence the rating on the receiver saying 500 carrying. but if im wrong feel free to correct me
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-08-2013, 09:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NYC, Ct & NC
Vehicle: 2007 Ford F-150
Posts: 3,456
Send a message via AIM to pmason718
Thanks for the quick replies guys I think I'm only going to get the 400lb one for the dirt bike and if I truly need to to haul the sportbike I will just have to take the bed cover off and put it in the bed. The dirtbike weighs 245lbs wet and the 2nd carrier above weighs 40lbs
__________________


2007 Red Fire Metallic FX2 Sport
5.4 V8 3.55
Pioneer Z2 /w Bluetooth, XM Sat, & Nav Traffic
Alpine PKG-RSE2 Overhead Monitor
Alpine MRP-M450 Mono Amp 400w
Alpine MRP-F300 4ch Amp 50W
Q-Logic QL-C1FTX110 Custom Sub Enclosure
JL 10W3v3-2 Sub
Polk db571 Front & Rear Door Speakers
Hella LED tail and 3rd brake lights
4300k Digital HID's
23" Customized Saleen Wheels
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-09-2013, 01:26 AM
glc glc is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Joplin MO
Vehicle: 2003 Ford F150
Posts: 28,510
Quote:
its rated at 500/5000 pounds weight carrying (non weight distributing hitch)
and 990/9990 pounds weight distributing
That's a Class 3, which is what the OP most likely has. If so, he's only good for 500. He needs to look on the hitch.

Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
2003 F-150 XL RCSB 2wd 4.2 M5OD 3.55 LS
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Montreal, Canada
Vehicle: 2007 ford F150
Posts: 239
500 is plenty enough for a dirt bike!!

But why do you have a truck with a bed again?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NYC, Ct & NC
Vehicle: 2007 Ford F-150
Posts: 3,456
Send a message via AIM to pmason718
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpat82 View Post
500 is plenty enough for a dirt bike!!

But why do you have a truck with a bed again?
I said the same thing but currently I don't have anyone to help me remove my bed cover when I want to put my bike on the back of the truck so in the mean time this will work
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 55
If you're interested the towing guide for the 2007 F-150 is here:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...07_default.asp

As an aside, Ford says that my 2013 XLT with Max Tow has a class IV but it has the same limit on weight carrying at 500lbs (weight distributing is 1,150 I think from memory of looking at the sticker on the truck).

Check out the brochure here:

http://www.ford.com/services/assets/...-150&year=2013

"Max. Trailer Tow Package (requires 301A or 302A; restrictions
apply; required for towing over 5,000 lbs.) includes Class IV
trailer hitch receiver; 7-pin wiring harness; upgraded radiator;
auxiliary transmission oil cooler; trailer brake controller;
upgraded rear bumper; SelectShift Automatic transmission;
and manual-telescoping/-folding trailer tow mirrors with power,
heated glass, integrated turn signal indicators and security
approach lamps"

It looks like the class is defined on the weight distributing value or they're being generous with the definition of Class IV.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-16-2013, 12:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NYC, Ct & NC
Vehicle: 2007 Ford F-150
Posts: 3,456
Send a message via AIM to pmason718
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoodhew View Post
If you're interested the towing guide for the 2007 F-150 is here:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...07_default.asp

As an aside, Ford says that my 2013 XLT with Max Tow has a class IV but it has the same limit on weight carrying at 500lbs (weight distributing is 1,150 I think from memory of looking at the sticker on the truck).

Check out the brochure here:

http://www.ford.com/services/assets/...-150&year=2013


"Max. Trailer Tow Package (requires 301A or 302A; restrictions
apply; required for towing over 5,000 lbs.) includes Class IV
trailer hitch receiver; 7-pin wiring harness; upgraded radiator;
auxiliary transmission oil cooler; trailer brake controller;
upgraded rear bumper; SelectShift Automatic transmission;
and manual-telescoping/-folding trailer tow mirrors with power,
heated glass, integrated turn signal indicators and security
approach lamps"

It looks like the class is defined on the weight distributing value or they're being generous with the definition of Class IV.

I haven't had a chance to check my truck but I assume my hitch is rated for 500lbs well at least I hope bc I ordered the dirtbike carrier which only weighs 40 lbs and the dirtbike weighs 245lbs so a total of 285lbs on my receiver should be cake
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:03 AM


 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:28 PM.


 
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Contact Us Advertising Privacy Statement Terms of Service Jobs Forum Text Archives
Emails & Contact Details