Rancho RSX

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rancho RSX

Does anyone have an opinion on these shocks? I've narrowed it to these based on thread searches and price. I can get them for about $44 a piece where as the 9000's and the edelbrock's ar around $70.

I have a 97 2WD Ext Cab with 4.6L. I don't tow anything and most of my miles are to and from work on the highway. Truck mostly empty. I'm getting some rebound going over bumps and think it might be time to change out. I have 76k on the truck.

Does anyone have these and use these under the same conditions? Do they eliminate rebound and reduce roll?

Thanks in advance

John

Old 10-25-2002, 09:55 PM
BUY THEM!!! They are a fantastic shock! I had them on my old 99 and just installed them on my 2001 supercrew. They reduce body roll, front end dive and the "floating in a boat feeling" significantly! I love them!

Old 10-26-2002, 09:06 AM
Ordered

RockyCarl,

I ordered them last night!! I had to rush my daughter to the ER with an asthma attack and croup @ 3 a.m. I definately did not like the floaty feel of the truck as I was flying down the X-Way at 90+.

I had some Rancho 5000's on an old Bronco I had, but it was a totally different setup. Had a 4' lift and 12.5x33's. Dual shocks up front. It was a little too springy if it wasn't fully loaded. But what a BIG improvement off road

I want a firm ride without being oversprung and I hope these will give it to me. This truck is a 2wd and will not see any offroad type situtations. I guess I can't have truck that'll handle as well as my 93 GT with the BBK kit I put on it, as it is a totally different vehicle. I guess once you're used to a certain handling level, you come to expect it.

Thanks for the advice,

John

Old 10-26-2002, 04:42 PM
Thumbs up

Had the rsxs on my 96 bronco they were a very nice shock for the money you cant go wrong with them

Old 10-26-2002, 09:20 PM
JBR,

Hopefully you will like them. Compared to prices of similiar shocks, I don't believe you can go wrong. They will cost you around $100 less than edelbrock or billistein.

Sorry to hear about your daughter, hope all is well with her situation.

Old 10-27-2002, 12:23 AM
Thanks

Rockycarl,

Thanks for the concern. She is much better today. She has croup. It's going around like crazy here. They gave her some steroids to relax her airway and the cough is being controlled.
They're pretty sure she'll grow out of her asthma.

I can't wait to get them on the truck. Have already printed out several instructions from the threads. Hopefully they'll be here by next weekend. I ordered them from truck performance.com

Have a good weekend,

John

Old 10-28-2002, 07:57 AM
They are a good shock. Unless you are heavy into offroad you'll probably never notice the difference between them and the 9000's. You're paying for the ability to adjust the 9000's. The RSX has an internal valve that reacts to conditions and provides diffent valves rates based on conditions. This provides a shock that is adaptable to a wider range of conditions. They are very similar to the Monroe Reflex.

-jeff b.

Old 10-28-2002, 08:00 PM
I was going to do these myself this weekend, but a little shop
(very reputable) next to the plant will do them for $65.

With time at a premium, does $65 sound like a fair deal?

John

Old 10-28-2002, 08:39 PM
Sounds like a fair deal to me. That is about going rate for an hour of shop labor. If time is more of an issue than money, go for it.

Old 10-28-2002, 10:42 PM
Time Vs Money

Rockycarl,

Not really time vs money as money is always an issue.....especially with my wife and things I want to do to my truck. The dealer quoted me $140, so I thought $65 was a bargain.

But the high this weekend is going to be in the 30's-40's. Don't really relish an afternoon out in the driveway at those temps

I think I'll have the shop do it, unless I just can't wait or it's a little warmer than the weatherman says

have a good one........

John

Quick Reply: Rancho RSX