Drop Kit on a 4x4??

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 03:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drop Kit on a 4x4??

I notice that there is quite a few drop kits for the 2 wheel drives, but is there any kind of drop for the 4x4? I currently have done a few HP mods but I would like to throw some 20's on my truck and drop it about 2 inches in the front and about 3-4 in the rear. I really like the beltech kits but I was wondering if I bought a 2wheel drop kit if there would be any real problem if I used it on my 4x4? Will the shocks hold up?? Should I be concerned about anything inparticular? I know that many of you frown on dropping a 4x4, but I am not looking to slam it, but rather make it so I do not have so much wheel well space. I recently had some 20's on my truck but took them off because there was too much wheel well space and it looked really bad. I then put on my 31 inch tires again and it looks ok, but the 20's really help as far as the looks are concerned. Any input, ideas, etc would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Old 06-03-2002, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A 2wd drop kit will not work on the 4wd. The 2wd has springs in the front and the 4wd has a torsion bar set up. I know Belltech use to make a kit for the 4wd and Ground Force now makes one. They will give you about a 2" drop in the front. Don't worry about what other people think about dropping a 4wd. I've dropped my 4wd Navigator about 2" and it looks much better than stock. Good luck on your project.

Old 06-03-2002, 11:25 AM
Nice!

Where did you happen to get your drop kit? Was it a lot more expensive than the 2wheel drive kits? Thanks again.

Old 06-03-2002, 11:53 AM
there are a few kits for lowering 4x4's, but the trick is how much you lower it. you dont want to go lower than 2 maybe 3 inches because that will affect your driveshaft angles and you could cause some damage to them (especially the front driveshaft). i say find a kit designed for your truck, then call the company and make sure that you wont have any problems with it. good luck!

Old 06-03-2002, 01:01 PM
I actually didn't use a kit. I was able to lower mine about 2" by adjusting the torsion bar (backing out the torsion bolt). I'm looking into the Ground Force kit, and will probably eventually go with it. It has a new torsion key that allows the torsion bar to remain at the stock tension. Mine is different in the back than yours, as I have an air adjustable suspension that I was able to lower the sensor to get the rear to come down.

I agree that you should only go a maximum of 3" and probably 2" is ideal. Like was mentioned, anything more and you put a lot of strain on your front axles, and they can be broken.

One thing you need to do, is amke sure you get an alignment after you get your truck lowered. Otherwise you will eat your tires up rather quickly.

Old 06-03-2002, 02:13 PM
Lowering 2inches.

I more than likely will only lower it 2 inches max. I am actually pretty happy with the front because it is about 2 inches lower than the back, however the rear has a lot of wheel well space. I put in a truck bed of dirt and it lowered my truck about 2 inches and it looked really good. Is there a way to lower the rear by backing out the bolt on my torsion bars? If so I defiantly wouldnt mind backing it out a little to get the extra look. Is there an online tutorial on how to back it out? Or could you help me out by possibly giving me instructions on how to do it. I asked my pops but he wouldnt tell me because he is into the whole "it was built to be a truck for a reason" kind of attitude. Its not his truck so why should he care... Oh well.. Parents will be parents. Any input and instructions would be greatly appreciated.

On another note, I just went down and bought some new mirrors with the crome backing to replace my lame mirrors that come stock on the XL. I have to wait for the passenger side, but after this is done I am going to take some pictures and I will post em.

Thanks again for all the info.

Old 06-03-2002, 04:17 PM
The torsion bar bolt won't affect the rear at all. I'm not that familiar with your vehicles rear end, but I think it can be accomplished by either a block or shackles. Try and find a shop that specializes in lowereing vehicles in your area and maybe they can help you with that. I wouldn't think the rear should be that difficult to get it a couple inches lower though. Most of the problems with a 4wd vehicle is usually the front. Good luck and maybe somebody else on this forum can help you with the rear.

Old 06-03-2002, 04:55 PM
since you have leaf springs in the rear, you can get 2" lowering shackles that will level out the truck, lowering teh back to the same height as the front.

Old 06-03-2002, 08:42 PM
Awesome!

Yeah, my front against my 265-75-16's look really good. I just need to find out a way to lower the back so it does the same thing. It looks a little lifted actually in the rear. I guess its all part of that 4x4 package... Not many people here are into the lowering business of 4x4's. Plus I live in alaska, so most people are into going higher with their vehicles instead of lowering. However, I have some 4 wheelers and those get me anywhere I want to go where a 4wheel drive truck can go. So my truck is going to be just for looks.
Thanks for all the info. I think I might be able to find someone to lower my rear for me, however... I can lower the front using the torsion bar?
Thanks again.

Old 06-04-2002, 05:01 AM
Hey Navi Man,

In the next week I am going to buy Ground Forces 4X4 lowering kit. I am dumping 2000K into the car for gas, payments, ect... BUT, i will have some extra dough left over. I am really Hyped about this. I will most likely need a little bit of your help with some instructions.. Am I going to have to LIFT the vehicle up off the wheels/Tires? or will a Jack due? I assume I don't want to use a Jack and Get UNDER the car for saftey purposes... But I really don't have any other way of doing this... ???....

I will take some Before/ After pics and post them here... so you can tell me if you notice a Difference, and if it looks good.

As for this ENTIRE Thread, In my opinion, there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong with Dropping a 4X4. Go for it!

-Jon >;-)

Old 06-04-2002, 10:10 AM
Good luck PhatNav. If you don't already have some, go out and purchase some jack stands. Make sure they are rated for the weight of the vehicle though. They aren't that expensive and necessary to have if you're going to be doing any modifications under the vehicle. Just make sure they are under a part of the Gator that is stable.If you don't have one already, purchase a Chilton repair manual for the Navigator. It has tons of useful information in there and also describes the process of removing the torsion key. I'll be looking for your posted pictures after the drop. Make sure you also get one before the drop for comparison.

Quick Reply: Drop Kit on a 4x4??