Hellwig anti-swaybars and lowering kit fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2002, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hellwig anti-swaybars and lowering kit fit

Already have front and rear Hellwig anti-swaybars installed on my stock height 99' F-150.

I am about to put a 2/4 or 3/4 lowering kit on it as well.

It looks like the swaybar endlink bolt and shackle will be too long after I lower the truck.

Can I just get a shorter bolt and cut the shackle down to fit? Is that all I would need to do.

Old 05-28-2002, 08:40 AM
Call your Manf. of the sway bar. I ran into the same issue. I called Hellwig and they sent out some shorter end links. That will allow the bar to work properly.

Old 05-29-2002, 01:38 AM
98STXV8,

Thanks for the reply. Your gallery was very helpful as well. It looks like you have more than enough parking curb clearance.

Old 06-26-2002, 03:42 PM
I got a new 2/4 lowering kit with shocks for 50% off retail. The rear shackle is a adjustable, so I am going to install a 2/3 lowering. With my future plans of changing wheels and tires with an overall diameter of 28.5, a 2/3 is about as low as I can go if I want to clear the parking pylons with my recently installed Lightning Bumper.

I called Hellwig last Wed. and asked about my front and rear swaybar endlinks not working with a lowering kit. On Sat., they sent me new front and rear bolts and spacers at no charge! Great and fast service.

Although, I am going to do a search on the topic, I dread trying to get the rear stock hangers off.

Old 06-27-2002, 10:40 AM
Go rent a compressor, punch, and plasma cutter and those things will be off real quick. Thats what I did I had never used one before but practice on something before you start on your truck so that way you will understand how they work.

Old 06-27-2002, 10:57 AM
Although I am not going to the same extreme with lowering my truck right now. I just got my hellwig rear sway bar "for 2" lowered trucks". I am picking up my Belltech 2" lowering shackles today from Mark at Lightning Force Performance.

I hope the install goes smoothly on Sat. *crossing fingers*

Old 06-27-2002, 03:44 PM
02XLT,
It'll be a breeze!! I just installed the rear bar on my 01 Screw with a 3" rear drop. The problem I ran into was that I have a Gibson dual sport exhaust and the second tailpipe was in the way of the bar mounting. I had to have a muffler shop cut and reweld the tailpipe to clear the sway-bar mount. If stock exhaust or single tailpipe cat-back, absolutely no problem and quite easy to install and you'll love the way it handles!!

Old 06-27-2002, 06:44 PM
01screw -

Awesome! Thats what I wanted to hear. I will drive out to my parents house Sat. morning to get this stuff done. I just found out my dad is going to buy an air compressor tomorrow, so it should go even quicker! He used to be a Ford mechanic so tools won't be a problem! I will update in a new thread my results.

Old 06-27-2002, 11:17 PM
I guess I will check on the rental of a plasma cutter, etc. but it sounds expensive? I had read that one guy drilled out the brads. I think I am going to ask a shop how they remove the stock hangers. I plan on doing it Friday night (and Saturday morning...ha!) by myself.

There must be some kind of attachment and or drill bit and or grinding-gizmo-that-removes- metal-like-butter-item that, I can use on a "non-industrial" tool to get the stock hangers off?

Quick Reply: Hellwig anti-swaybars and lowering kit fit