RSX Better Than RS9000?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2002, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RSX Better Than RS9000?

I've spent the last 4 hours searching past posts regarding the Rancho RSX and RS9000 Shocks. So far, I am still undecided on which to buy. I've got a '99 5.4L std cab short bed with the offroad package. I don't tow very often, but do go wheeling now and then. My main issue is body roll - I know the RS9000 is adjustable, but has different technology than the RSX - Will I be able to dial in a setting on the RS9000s to get a similar ride and reduction in body roll as the RSX's? Does anyone with experience on both think the RSX shocks would suit me better than the RS9000? I'm looking for a firm yet comfortable ride with more confidence in the turns, and solid handling offroad. The prices are close enough with the 3-for-1 sale that price difference between the two is not a concern. Please help me to sleep soundly! Any advice you guys can provide is greatly appreciated! Thanks,
-JM

Old 05-24-2002, 01:53 PM
If price is not a concern. Go with the 9000's. I have the RSX-they're nice and ride FIRM. But on the pavement, I wish I had a softer ride.
Also, look into a Hellwig rear sway bar. It makes a world of a difference. It also helps eliminate some axle wrap (wheel hop) on wet roads and body roll. Definitely worth $130.00.
I recommend installing both as the same time.

Last edited by Jupiterak; 05-24-2002 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-24-2002, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the advice Jupiterak, I was leaning toward the 9000s and, appreciate the honest comments from someone who has the RSXs. That's all I needed to hear - don't want to nock any teeth out on these Detroit freeways. I've got Monroe Reflexes on my wife's explorer and have noticed the same thing (they do make it STEADY in the turns though). I was hoping the heavier F150 would dampen the roughness a bit, but based on your comments I guess not.

What's the deal with the anti-sway bars? I've read some good stuff about them in past posts, but also have heard some negatives on clunking, finish etc (bad finish could be a real problem here with all the salt we get in the winter). Will the truck lose articulation in the rear? How does your's handle when you hammer it a bit offroad with the Hellwig sway bar on? E.g., are there any adverse effects on handling under certain conditions? I'm just wondering why they don't come that way from the factory. Thanks again for your comments.
-JM

Old 05-24-2002, 11:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A sway bar is for a resistance to tilting/body sway of the truck. Typically when carrying a tall heavy load like a truck camper in the bed.

A sway bar ties both sides together to resist lean. With a 4x4 you want one side to freely dip into a hole and recover, ie independant suspension. A sway bar fights left to right side independance. You would not want a sway bar on a 4x4 unless you were carrying a tall heavy load. To get the same effect, and maintain left to right suspension independance, stiffen up the springs and/or shocks. A swaybar is mainly for street trucks. JMHO

Old 05-25-2002, 01:26 AM
Man is this site a great place to do some procrastination when you've got a pile of other stuff that needs to get done. Thanks for the info sagittarius. Seems like you're right on. The sway bars might be a bad idea for me - at the same time, I'm a bit aprehensive about stiffer springs, but I do need to get rid of that pesky body roll (since I've added the cap to my truck at 46,000 mi, I've been the annoying slow guy on tight freeway entrance ramps).
I just ordered the RS9000s, so I'll slap those on as soon as they arrive and see how much that helps my **** end before I decide to do anything else.

While searching the forums for other info on the rear sway bar, I found this link on an another post:
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/cheaptricks/swaybar2/

Seems like that would be a pretty cool alternative. Anyone out there actually tried using those instructions to rig up a quick disconnect on a rear sway bar (e.g, Hellwig, etc.)? It doesn't look too hard, but I haven't actually seen what these rear sway bars look like (Hard to tell by the fuzzy pictures on Hellwig's site). Jupiterak, is the Hellwig rear bar similar to the one that comes OEM on the front end of the truck (specifically, the ends of the bar)?

BTW, I found this quote on the Hellwig website:
"Q: Will there be any adverse effects when I add a bar?
A: No. An outstanding feature of anti-sway bars is that they have virtually no adverse effects when the bar is properly designed for the vehicle"

Good thing we have this forum to get the REAL answer.
-JM

Old 05-25-2002, 12:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JediMullet, I know what you mean. I have 44k on my 99 4x4 have had a fiberglass cap on the truck since I bought it. 3 months ago I installed Roadmaster Active Suspension springs on the rear leafs. They stiffened up the rear a bit, and greatly reduced body sway. The truck handles great now. I have alot more confidense at highway speeds, and cornering, and the truck handles great when loaded too. My wife drives it more than me, and doesn't mind the slightly stiffer ride. The "active" means the spring is somewhat progressive, or active only when you need it.

http://www.activesuspension.com/

Old 05-26-2002, 10:02 PM
The active suspension seems like a good concept. I'm going to wait until I get those RS9000s on to see how that helps me in the turns before I add anything else though. I'll update the post after putting on the shocks to let everyone know how much that helps (or not). I plan to drive it real hard (i.e., keep up with the rest of traffic on the entrance ramp turns) just before putting them on, then do the same after I install them to see how much difference just the shocks make.
-JM

Old 05-27-2002, 01:10 AM
The main reason I got the sway bar is because my truck didn't have LS. I had a very bad wheel hop, especially in the rain. I sometimes tow a 6000+ lbs. Bayliner and it does help with traction and in the corners. I also highly recommend the sway bar if you have a body lift as well.

The Hellwig is pretty similar like the front one. The end mounts are kinda cheap. The bushings already are cracking after 1.5 years. I do plan on replacing them with some Energy Suspension bushings.

One thing is, some F150 owners (like myself) had to mount it upside down. So it's below the rear diff. The instructions state to mount it over, but can't because of all the hoses and lines. I do notice some clucking every once in a while in the winter time for some unknown reason. But most of the clucking is because the mounting bolts are not tight enough.

I'll try to get a pic tomorrow.

Old 05-28-2002, 09:52 AM
I just put 9000's on all 4 corners and a 5000 steering stabilizer and wow what a difference! It took a few long trips to figure what setting works best. The biggest improvement was during cornering and towing!

The stock "Heavy duty" shocks (HD tow package) are gas pressurized and constantly "Push up" on the suspension the rs 9000's are true "Dampers" they work both on compression and decompression of the suspension!

One last note, the rs 9000's are way over engineered for this application, meaning they are great!

my .02 as usual!

peace-

Old 05-28-2002, 01:20 PM
hcmq,
Thanks for the info. I also plan on putting on a Rancho steering stabilizer, although all of my upgrades are now on hold until I get the "Blown Headgasket problem" taken care of ('99 5.4L). If Ford doesn't take good care of me on this headgasket problem, I won't need to worry about how well the truck handles cause I'll be driving something else...(sorry - had to vent a little).

Do you know the Part Number of the RS5000 steering stabilizer? Rancho's application guide does not have a listing for a "kit" on the newer F150s. Did you have to purchase the bracket and shock separately?
Thanks,
JM

Old 05-28-2002, 06:32 PM
RSX's are Great

I put a set of the RSX's on a few months ago and in my opinion, they are awesome. It is almost perfect for me-mostly around town driving with some off-road driving. My only complaint is in areas of washboard like sections, the truck seems to hop a bit.

Old 05-28-2002, 10:22 PM
I agree with jedimullet. I had them on my '99 scab 4x4 head gasket blower, and loved them! The RSX is a great shock. I really don't like the idea of adjusting the shocks when I change terrain. It sounds cool at first, but its one of those things I think I would regret later. The RSX automatically adjusts, and you don't even have to get out of the cab. They will be going on my new screw soon, I can't stand these mushy factory shocks.

Old 05-29-2002, 01:57 PM
jedimullet

the bracket comes with it. One piece of advice though, if you order these from 4 wheel parts. com CALL them instead of using the internet! Thier internet ordering system doesn't work that well. My stabilizer was mailed to me without the bracket (Which I paid for) because the internet system has the wrong part number (Long story just trust me here)

I have the invoice right here infront of me I believe the part number is RAN 5401 and just in case the stabilizer bracket kit is RS5567. CALL the 4wheelparts.com guys they are very cool and will help you to the end. The best # to use 800.421.1050

FYI you will need a 1/2 inch impact wrench with at least 600lbs reverse torque to get the idler arm bolts off to put the stabilizer bracket on! Works great once its on!

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

Oh I love the 9000's I do adjust them all the time it is great!

peace-

Last edited by hcmq; 05-29-2002 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-30-2002, 10:29 AM
Jupiterak,
I'm still interested in seeing the pics of that sway bar if you were able to get them (no hurry though). I'd like to see how far it hangs below the differential. Still wondering what the ends look like too. Thanks in advance.

hcmq,
Thanks for those PN's! I'll be putting that order in soon - 4wheelparts is where I ordered my RS9000's from too (I agree with your comments on their online system - had to call for the shocks, because the online wasn't giving me the 1 free shock deal). Which reminds me...where are my shocks? Should get here any day now - can't wait to put those guys on.

Anyone go to Rancho's website lately? Coming out with some new "X" shock or something (a quick advertisement flashes on the intro when you first go there). Check it out:

http://www.gorancho.com/RanchoDefault.htm

I wasn't able to find any info on those anywhere though. Wonder if I should wait on installing those RS9000s....
-JM

Old 05-30-2002, 01:55 PM
JediMullet- Sorry I forgot about that. Here's the pic, sorry it's alittle dirty. You can adjust somewhat depending how close you want it to the differential. Mine has about 1" clearance. At the end of the sway bar is where it has the long hollow spacer (about 6") with a bolt inside that mounts to the frame. Very easy to install. If you decide to go with one. Make sure you tighten the U bolts around the axle very tightly. I got some clunking during sharp turns on bumpy roads due to the bolts not being tight enough.

Quick Reply: RSX Better Than RS9000?