Need rear spring advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2002, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need rear spring advice

The rear driver side springs on my truck sag and I'm looking for opinions before going to a local spring shop. Given 5yrs of age & 61,000 miles , should I consider replacing both driver & passenger rear springs? I'm concerned that just replacing or repairing one side will result in the truck sagging to the other side. I only occaissionally haul loads (stuff for the house or yard, around my parents farm, hunting, etc.) so I don't need a supe heavy set of springs. Some type of overload/progressive system that's better than stock would be best.

Old 05-11-2002, 05:16 PM
I would just say get them rearched....

Old 05-12-2002, 11:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.activesuspension.com/

Old 05-13-2002, 02:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd say you'd be better off replacing both sides at the same time. If one is bad, the other probably isn't far behind. It'll be just like only replacing one shock absorber. Not recommended.

Those Active Suspension systems are pretty good. I've got the more "basic" style of overload springs, but really like them.

Old 05-14-2002, 07:59 PM
sagittarius or MitchF150

How's the ride with the active suspension, planning to change shocks, was looking at rs9000 and now the mx6 from procomp they have adjsutments for towing, which I only do on weekends carrying the atv's for a ride, mostly cruising the rest of the time, with only 400 pounds and the truck's looks like if it carrying 2 ton's

Old 05-14-2002, 08:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up 5.4Y2K

It'll firm up the ride some. Well, mine did at any rate. I can't say on the "Active Suspension" setup for sure, because I've only read about them. I've got the 2500# Hellwig ones, so they are a bit more "beefy" then the rest.

While I say it firmed up my ride, it's still very comfortable and not harsh at all. It doesn't bounce at all and just feels like a good solid ride now. (Actually, how a "truck" should ride). I've taken it on a 2500 mile road trip with the wife and it was very comfortable and no complaints from her. I had about 300#'s of stuff in the back, so that helped, but even empty, it's not bad.

I can also load 1000#'s in the bed and it only drops 2 inches now. Before, it was on the bump stops.

I've got some shocks that a local tire chain store sells (Les Schwab) and they are called "Mountian Rider". Specifically designed for 4x4 trucks. They have an "active suspension" type of valving that adjusts itself to the road conditions. So far I'm impressed with them and would buy them again. ($200 installed for all 4).

Old 05-14-2002, 10:12 PM
I really like the active suspension bolt on springs. They lifted the rear end maybe 0.5" and stiffened it up. I tightened them the recommended amount, but they could be firmed up even more. My 99 F150 4x4 handles alot better, corners better, almost no body sway. Best of all is the handling when loaded up. Its not sluggish or bouncey, its firm and you are in control. No rattling or squeaks. The best part is when empty the ride is not too harsh. I paid $207 for the set, that included shipping. I have the internet address of the place at work, I'll post it tomorrow. I believe it was from So. California.

Last edited by sagittarius; 05-15-2002 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-14-2002, 10:20 PM
Thank you both for your expirience with actvesuspension, sagittarius, would appriciate the web address in order to check it out

Old 05-15-2002, 11:10 AM
I ordered the Roadmaster Active Suspension (part no. MK II (XF)) from ...

http://www.hitch-web.com

if you scroll down the page you'll find their roadmaster link...

http://www.hitch-web.com/roadmaster/index.htm

It looks like they are still $207 with free shipping. Most places wanted $230 plus shipping. If you have any questions, just holler.

Old 05-20-2002, 08:46 AM
I installed the Roadmaster Active Suspension last week and did some towing this past weekend. I am impressed with the whole setup. The rear end may have gone up 1/2" or so, but I am not sure. The bumpy ride empty on concrete roads is almost gone. The body roll when turning corners is also reduced. I also loaded a 19' flatbed trailer weighing about 5000 lbs and the rear end did not sink down much at all. The trailer had allot of tounge weight as well. I ordered my set from JC Whitney for $197. If you spend $250, then you get free shipping as well.

Jim

Quick Reply: Need rear spring advice